[2.4 Video Guide] Inquisitor/Elementalist's Ice Nova SHATTER Crit Build! [HC/SC Viable]

Thanks for the inspiration! Fire Trap/Flame Surge is especially awesome!

There's some great information here that I used to make a similar build of my own. It destroys Dried Lake and I cackle maniacally. I haven't taken it into maps yet because I'm waiting to see what will happen to Standard Atlas when Essence ends.

The character is Sharkawaru if you want to see.
Softcore, solo self-found.
-----Currently: -----
Storm Call Occultist in Affliction
"
Skräcken wrote:
Hey man!!

Doing your build now and im currently dual Reverberation Rod Spiraled Wand wielding. Is there any reason to not dual Divinarius exept the fact that u get more ES with a shield... And do you think its viable to keep Freezing Pulse for end, and not switch for Flame Surge??

The ES is pretty important with MoM/EB so I would keep the shield. Besides more damage runs the risk of killing yourself to reflect (especially if you're Inquisitor). Also, you can get high life on the shield and block is nice to have.

This build doesn't really scale well with Freezing Pulse since it's a projectile and we have little spell damage on the build. You could try it but I think Flame Surge is the way to go since it scales much better and gets 50% increased damage against burning enemies from Fire Trap.
I am currently lvl73 and chose this build after not playing PoE for about 2 years. First of all, it's indeed very fun to play if you like the "let your whole screen shatter" playstyle and if your PC can handle it.

As others mentioned, it does have one real Achilles heel and that is missing Physical Damage Reduction. You basically steamroll through everything and everyone until you meet an act boss or nasty pack leader with high Physical Damage (or Elemetal Reflect obv). Then you die. A lot.

I think my gear is pretty neat with a 6L Fur Shawl (was trying to 5L it and casually 6L it with 41 Fusings), capped resistances except chaos and around 65% crit chance / 250% crit multiplier on Merciless. Yesterday I tried Maps to Tier4 and it was basically a cake walk - except the bosses. Even in A4, the arena guy kills me with 1 or 2 hits and I kind of worry if this build is suited for late game after all.

Gear
Spoiler

Flasks (bad)

Tree

While leveling and gradually improving my gear, I swapped a few things here and there.
As you can see, I run Enfeeble and Warlord's Mark for the Endurance charges (which are Physical Damage reduction after all) with Blasphemy Support and I decided to take the double curses route in the tree much earlier than the initial build suggests. I'm also thinking about running just 1 curse, dropping blasphemy, taking Arctic Armor + X instead and respecing the 5 passives leading to Whispers of Doom. I haven't tried this yet though.
I also swapped out Vaal Discipline for Enduring Cry because I really like the Taunt mechanic and I think it works very well with this build.

So my bread & butter combo is basically:
Fire Trap > Whirling Blade > Enduring Cry > spam Nova (> Flame Surge remaining single targets)

Maybe there are some legendaries that could help with the missing Physical mitigation?
Thanks for the answer dude!

Now another question, with the ring pyre you wouldnt need the firetrap setup at all, sure youll loose a ringslot, but hey!!
I am trying this build out now (Lvl 45) and loving it. Good clearing and I rarely die. I also have not run into an essence mob i cannot kill. I run clarity+ herald of ice currently and have no mana issues at all, even with insane casting speed. Thoughts on this?
I am a new player! this is the first build I follow (2nd character, first with real progression)

I am currently lvl 82 Inquisitor

You said you do Tier 13 maps with no problem with 45k Flame Surge and 30k Ice Nova, well, I can barely kill any tier 4 bosses, my flame surge has 29.5k DPS and Ice Nova has 11.5k DPS (with 4 power charges).

I had a day with 49 deaths! at lvl 60 in Lunaris Temple-Imperial Gardens, so I just sat at Ebony Barracks for safer leveling until I could use Carcass Jack at 62 and Divinarius at 65, that was game changing.

At 82 I tried and I cant kill Daresso neither Izaro (not even the first one)

I made some changes in the build, I swap Vaal Discipline (dont really understand whta you use it for) for Vaal Cold Snap.

I am not criticizing the build, just looking for ways to improve!

I need some tips so I can make this build work!

What I think that could be (that I should) improved:

* 492 armor and only 5% physical reduction
* 14% chance to evade
* Only 26% chaos resistence
Pity the emperor who sits alone on his throne.
Thanks for the build! I'm at 73 now and lovin it so far.
One question: Is void Battery viable for this build?
Thanks for a build, but when i look to the video, ur build looks to dangerous for HC, or im not right?
Last edited by Kaddomir on Oct 27, 2016, 1:54:49 PM
Spoiler
"
Video Guide: Path of Exile - Ice Nova Crit SHATTER Build Guide! [HC/SC Viable]

Watch this short build guide video. It will show you how the build performs in high tier maps and explain the core mechanics of the build.

If you have any questions about the build come to my twitch stream and I will do my best to answer them:

Lifting's Twitch Live Stream Channel

This is the official thread for my Inquisitor's Crit Ice Nova, Flame Surge Shatter Build. In this thread, I will cover the most basic requirements of the build. To get a more detailed explanation of how the build works and needs to be set up, check out the link to my video guide above.

First of all, what is this build and who is it suited for?

1. Anyone who wants a build that is designed for both new players and veterans alike. The build has potential to run the highest level maps, it is fairly tanky and the clear speed is great!

2. Someone who seeks a build that is fairly budget friendly - no unique items are required in order to make it work. There are however a few very strong recommended ones.

3. People who enjoy a good roaring thunderstorm.

4. A build that is both viable for hardcore as well as softcore.

5. People who prefer a build that has a video-guide linked to it.

Build mechanic introduction:

For defenses, this build utilizes Mind Over Matter, Zealot's Oath, Eldritch Battery and Blasphemy + Enfeeble. Due to your high crit chance Ice Nova will furthermore reliably freeze monsters in place thus making you much safer.

Reflect Damage

To prevent yourself from dying to reflect make sure to not go higher than 30.000 DPS on your Ice Nova and do NOT use Flame Surge against reflect mobs.

When encountering a reflect monster pop your Taste of Hate/Sapphire Flask and kill it with Ice Nova

Furthermore, I do not recommend running elemental reflect maps, you will most likely kill yourself if you do that.

If you take your precautions reflect won't become an issue.

Inquisitor VS Elementalist, which one should you pick?

Benefits of the Inquisitor:

- Easier to gear. You get more crit chance as the Inquisitor which means you can get away with less expensive gear.
- Faster cast/attack speed. This is obviously great for our spells but also the Whirling Blades attack animation.
- No need for Cold Penetration which allows you to use a different support gem.

Benefits of the Elementalist:

- Beacon of Ruin will help you freeze the entire screen making you safer!
- Safer against reflect due to Paragon of Calamity = higher potential for damage
- You can shock enemies with Shaper of Desolation

Skill-gems and setups:

Primary Damage setup:

- Ice Nova, Spell Echo, Faster Casting, Controlled Destruction, Inc. Critical Strikes & Life Leech.

Note 1: The Inquisitor does not need Cold Penetration after picking up Inevitable Judgement (your 4th ascendancy point). Until then use Cold Penetration in one of your sockets.

Note 2: If playing as the Elementalist you can substitute Controlled Destruction for Cold Penetration.

Single Target Damage Setup:

- Flame Surge, Spell Echo, Inc. Critical Strikes, Concentrated Effect.

Defensive Setup:

- Cast When Damage Taken (lvl 1), Immortal Call (lvl 1), Increased Duration & Vaal Discipline ( both max level).

Utility:

- Cast When Damage Taken (lvl 12), Stone Golem (lvl 14), Fire Trap & Herald of Ice.

Note: Fire Trap is optional but useful when encountering bosses to increase the damage of Flamge Surge.

Mobility & Defence:

- Whirling Blades, Faster Attacks & Fortify.

Note: this setup requires a dagger to use.

Curses:

- Blasphemy, Enfeeble & Assassin's Mark.

Skill-trees & Ascendancy classes:

Ascendancy Class: The Inquisitor

Spoiler
Ascendancy Points: Righteous Providence, Inevitable Judgement, Instruments of Virtue & Augury of Penitence.

Leveling skill-tree, 30 points:

Leveling skill-tree, 48 points:

Leveling skill-tree, 72 points:

Leveling skill-tree, 98 points:

Finished skill-tree, 114 points (includes Ascendancy points):

Ascendancy Class: The Elementalist

Note: That if you at any point need strength or dexterity, simply pick up the 30+ notables in the skill-tree and spec out of them later when you are able to cover these requirements via gear.

Leveling Tips:

1. Grap Freezing Pulse from Tarkleigh after defeating Hillock.
2. Get Ice Nova from Nessa after completing the quest A Sirens Cadence.
3. Equip 2 Lifesprig wands (or 2x +1 to cold scepters/wands). Use Ice Nova, Added Lightning and Faster Casting in one of them and in the other use Freezing Pulse, Added Lightning and Faster Casting.
4. Buy a Geofri's Crest at level 53 and add your Ice Nova setup to this.
5. Once you reach level 65+ you should start saving up for a 5-link and add Flame Surge to your Geofri's until you can get something better.

Note: Watch the video for a more detailed explanation on how to level this character.

Bandit Quest Rewards:

- Normal : Help Oak for 40+ life.
- Cruel : Kill them all for 1 extra skill point.
- Merciless: Help Alira for +1 to maximum power charges.

Gearing and stat priorities:

Defensive affixes, in priority:

1. Life
2. Elemental Resistances (75% on Merciless)
3. Energy Shield (Mind Over Matter)
4. Evasion
5. Chaos Resistance

Offensive affixes, in priority:

1. Increased Crit Multi%
2. Increased Crit Chance%
3. Increased Spell Damage%
4. Increased Cast Speed%

My Current Gear:
Spoiler

Jewels:

- Inc. Critical Strike Multiplier%
- Inc. Maximum life %
- Inc. Critical Strike Chance%
- Inc. Spell/Elemental Damage%
- Inc. Cast speed%

Flasks:

- 1x Seething Divine Life Flasks of Staunching
- 1x Seething Divine Life Flasks of Grounding
- 1x Surgeon's Basalt Flask of Warding
- 1x Taste of Hate (or Sapphire Flask)
- 1x Surgeon's Silver Flask of Adrenaline

Recommended unique items:

Chest: Carcass Jack

Spoiler

Weapon: Divinarius

Spoiler

Flask: Taste of Hate

Spoiler

Outro:

Make sure to watch the video guide to see some actual gameplay of how the build performs as well as to get a better explanation of how it works!

Video Guide: Path of Exile - Ice Nova Crit SHATTER Build Guide! [HC/SC Viable]

Check out my other build guides for 2.4

- 2.4 Warchief Totems Champion/Juggernaut [HC/SC]

- 2.4 Righteous Fire, Vaal Molten Shell Scion [HC/SC]

- 2.4 Doomfletch Tornado Shot & Blast Rain Raider [HC/SC] (video slightly outdated, check forum post)

- 2.4 Doomfletch Lightning Arrow & Blast Rain Raider [HC/SC] (video slightly outdated, check forum post)

- 2.4 Tanky Cyclone Champion/Juggernaut [HC/SC]

- 2.4 Shockwave Totem Inquisitor [HC/SC][/b]

- 2.4 Ultimate Beginner's Flame Totem Chieftain [HC/SC]

- 2.4 Earthquake Champion/Juggernaut/Slayer [HC/SC]

#DoYouEvenNerd
Lifting

Can u answer me please?
Last edited by Kaddomir on Oct 29, 2016, 3:51:19 AM
Can someone who play this build in HC answer me then?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info