[3.0] Freezer Burn - AB AoF MoM EO, Cheap, Fun, Screw the Meta

how do you survive reflective damage in this build? ive already try Rise of the Phoenix. I just die with 1 hit. ive 6k life, and 5k armour. there is no way to avoid part of the damage? It's so annoying that i cant run any reflective map. thx
"
ThoryX wrote:
how do you survive reflective damage in this build?

Hiyas, so about reflect damage...

You said you have tried rise of the Phoenix on your weapon swap. That's good. However, the weapon swap should also be a worse wand. Why, you ask? Because doing less damage overall per second is part of surviving reflect damage.

I don't go out of my way to run reflect content with the build, however I have a level 20 Purity of Fire ready to go for when we do encounter it.

It is far from ideal, however it is entirely possible if you limit the incoming damage by as much as possible.

Paragon of Calamity (50%) puts us at only half of incoming fire damage taken.

75% max resistance, and Rise of the Phoenix (+8%) means we are only at risk of taking 83% of that reduced half. From that point, a level 20 Purity of Fire brings us up another 4%, so 87%. Since we use Clear Mind, turning on Purity of Fire will also reduce our damage by 60% (helps)

Assuming we deal 50k damage per second, half of which is outright negated, and then 87% of that amount reduced, our total damage taken should be 3,250. As soon as we take any of that damage, our CwDT will trigger and warlords mark will enable leech from all of that damage. 20% per second of 6,000 is our ceiling for leech, so we will only leech 1,200 against that 3,250, for a total loss of 2,050 / s self-inflicted harm.

The key here is to reduce the damage we deal during this period. When you are pressing x to equip your Rise of the Phoenix, you should also be switching weapons to something substantially worse than our 120 % increased spell damage one. That 50k could easily be brought down to 25k, and then half of that is 12,500 which after our resist maxing equates to 1,625 damage taken, which our 1,200 leech cap easily eats.

Add to this Mind over Matter helping us, and our HP Regen, and it evens out.

--
TL;DR - Use Purity of Fire, and do less damage. Reflect is obnoxious, avoid it. However, lowing our damage works well here.
Hot Flashes: poeurl.com/bPZT
Balance: poeurl.com/btzp
Shocking EleHit: poeurl.com/bZXo
Last edited by Kwitch on Feb 25, 2017, 4:37:36 PM
I actually went ahead and recorded a video for you to help answer questions about Reflect, and also show off Beacon/Shaper versus Pendulum/Mastermind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTdGW0Jihxg

Enjoy!
Last edited by Kwitch on Feb 26, 2017, 10:30:17 PM
"
Kwitch wrote:
I actually went ahead and recorded a video for you to help answer questions about Reflect, and also show off Beacon/Shaper versus Pendulum/Mastermind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTdGW0Jihxg

Enjoy!

Well, this was usefull !!! i was not using that ruby flask and purity of fire!
and also if clear mind wont work on that kind of map it's possible to swap that jewel with another one that give you more resistance to damage.

I'll try all this setup on my next reflective maps. :D

Thx again man!!!!
"
ThoryX wrote:
if clear mind wont work on that kind of map it's possible to swap that jewel with another

Well the thing is, you still get the mana regeneration from Clear Mind despite the increased damage being disabled due to reserving mana. It's not terrible to leave it in, and also it makes life simpler not to swap.

Thanks for noticing that point, in the video I failed to swap the 4 jewels between characters. That is what made the difference between the damage of both (You may have noticed about 3k damage loss even with EF over CD). Yup, forgot to swap jewels.

If your play style is excited to change out jewels for when you want to run Purity, by all means. Also I failed to mention this, but neither character was running Vaal Haste / Arctic Armour. Both are potential for a green socket if you happen to have one in your gear somewhere. They would be interchangeable here.

From the Arctic Armour wiki article:
"
Less Damage taken when Hit: This modifier is applied at the very end of the damage calculations. As the damage reduction is only applied on hits (including reflect), damage over time effects like burning are not affected.

If you wanted to be EXTRA safe, you could also find a socket for and run Arctic Armour. However, due to my previous calculations, that should be entirely unnecessary and optional. But do keep in mind we 'hit' with fire damage on reflect maps, and that 'hit' is reflected back to us as a 'hit', which we can spell dodge/block/mitigate. Our character doesn't mess around with dodge however, just food for thought.

I never felt AA was needed, it was stronger in the past. If you still have issues, use it temporarily as a stop-gap measure. Just don't forget we really don't need it ultimately and we gain more from Vaal Haste.

"
ThoryX wrote:
Thx again man!!!!

Cheers!
So I've been playing this since the Legacy league started and I have one question. Where do you get any dex? At the moment I can only use greater multiple projectiles with added dex from gear. I see the Astramentis Onyx solves that issue but as far as I've seen it's selling for 100c to 3ex depending on the roll. I've even had to grab one +30 dex node and it's looking like I'm going to have to grab another. Is there any cheaper option to solve this?
"
So I've been playing this since the Legacy league started and I have one question. Where do you get any dex? At the moment I can only use greater multiple projectiles with added dex from gear. I see the Astramentis Onyx solves that issue but as far as I've seen it's selling for 100c to 3ex depending on the roll. I've even had to grab one +30 dex node and it's looking like I'm going to have to grab another. Is there any cheaper option to solve this?

Always fun to see people playing the build, I hope you're enjoying it.

If you're playing on the Legacy softcore league, try this filter link for poe.trade:

http://poe.trade/search/woniusisikitoa

At the time of this post, I saw an amulet for 5 chaos with 98 dexterity on it, which could easily tide you over until later.

Cheers
Thanks a lot for a quick reply. I have been having a lot of fun with the build so far. It's my first real venture into poe and it's been going pretty smoothly and I'm learning a lot, so thanks again for getting me into poe.
Last edited by DreadfulPhobia on Mar 15, 2017, 6:43:49 AM
I know I'm self-bumping here, but I wanted to make some announcements.

First, I've taken the direction of the build in a dramatic different direction after playing it again for the first time in two leagues and the changes to uniques and skill tree pathing.

I've experimented with MoM + EB. The results weren't anything special, but it's possibly good.

I've experimented with VP. It's really strong and awesome for hard content, but consistently applying warlord's mark is a bit of a strain on our build, point wise / cursing.

I've dropped thinking about Clear Mind for the most part, and regularly expect us to be running some level of reservation. This obviously hurts our MoM, but to off-set this I've been looking hard at higher HP investment while still being competitive in damage.

Emberwake. Emberwake. Emberwake. Theoretically, our build *can* reach 7 mil dps, but with just the level of gear I've managed to acquire on previous iterations, it's easily over 2 mil dps. I honestly think this build can content for meta viable soon.

We're still wands, so there's always that argument that 'clear speed meta' won't have us. I've got a week off now to test, so getting the current project character to 90 and will report back with video evidence and the like on boss / shaped strand clear times.

Overall, I've stayed away from the build for the past 2 leagues to test new mechanics and ideas. Coming back to AB has been amazing feeling. I really regret not playing it more often. I look forward to reworking the guide with the new skill tree and gearing for high-end ignite damage.

As always, y'all are welcome to pm me in game or look up my character profile if you want to see the progress, and I am willing to stream on demand.

Cheers
Hi, I've been playing with this build for the past week and having a lot of fun with it !
Although I'm meeting some difficulties when it comes to leveling atm due to me dying a lot to random things because I'm bad x) Any way I could increase my survivability ? The lack of leech is kinda annoying too, I was thinking I could swap a flask for an Atziri's Promise but I don't know which one I should get rid of.

Anyway that's what I'm running atm :

Tree is in my profile.

Still got to do Uber Lab to get the anti-reflect node but I'm way too squishy to give it a try. Next objective would be to get a 6L chest and obviously getting more levels on my gems I guess. I also have an empty socket in my Helmet but I plan on using it to fit Arctic Armour against reflect maps.

Do you have any other improvements in mind ? Thanks !
Last edited by DragonBornPoro on Apr 22, 2017, 8:11:12 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info