60hz/120hz/240hz what's the deal?

Dear PoE players!

Mercy is upon me and I will buy a brand new PC soon - unlimited budget >:)

I've noticed that everytime a trailer comes out, doesn't matter which expansion pack, it is smooth as hell. Not only trailers, but some players' videos too. I'm currently playing on a laptop, which is obviously 60hz. I was wondering if anyone of you guys run 120hz+ and how it really affects your gameplay. I am talking about smoothness because really, I look for every corner to improve my graphics.

I really want to invest to get today's high end specs, I don't mind about money. This is actually the one thing I spend my money on, exept my gf.

thanks,
Your geeky PoE mate !
Last bumped on Mar 19, 2017, 7:42:41 PM
240fps on 1080 would probably be beyond smooth

I don't know if I could handle such butter
so the 120hz or 60hz doesn't matter at all? Is the a max FPS for PoE?
The difference between a solid 60FPS and 120FPS is nearly imperceptible, but if you have 3D shutter glasses, the FPS is "halved" because it strobes once per eye. 120Hz monitors facilitate this. Getting a G-Sync/FreeSync (anti-tearing tech) monitor @60Hz will look just as smooth to your naked eyes.

GeForce GTX 1080 Ti is poised to take the throne as best video card, surpassing the non-Ti GTX 1080, and should be priced at $1000 once it releases. It will smoothly run PoE in Super Ultra High Definition (8K), so currently there are no restrictions for the resolution of a new monitor.

VR goggles seem to be taking off right now, so don't waste your money on a movie theater right away, we might be seeing changes in common gaming displays soon.

To answer your question, no, PoE has no FPS limit, nor does it have a resolution limit; however, there's a limit to your own visual perception. I've heard fans of first person shooters claim that 120 Hz monitors are smoother, but that probably has to do with dips in performance at 60FPS, which are very perceptible while dips from 120FPS are not so much.
Last edited by ionface on May 29, 2016, 2:15:48 AM
"
ionface wrote:
The difference between a solid 60FPS and 120FPS is nearly imperceptible, but if you have 3D shutter glasses, the FPS is "halved" because it strobes once per eye. 120Hz monitors facilitate this. Getting a G-Sync/FreeSync (anti-tearing tech) monitor @60Hz will look just as smooth to your naked eyes.

GeForce GTX 1080 Ti is poised to take the throne as best video card, surpassing the non-Ti GTX 1080, and should be priced at $1000 once it releases. It will smoothly run PoE in Super Ultra High Definition (8K), so currently there are no restrictions for the resolution of a new monitor.

VR goggles seem to be taking off right now, so don't waste your money on a movie theater right away, we might be seeing changes in common gaming displays soon.

To answer your question, no, PoE has no FPS limit, nor does it have a resolution limit; however, there's a limit to your own visual perception. I've heard fans of first person shooters claim that 120 Hz monitors are smoother, but that probably has to do with dips in performance at 60FPS, which are very perceptible while dips from 120FPS are not so much.

but doesn't the hertz take a role in the all smoothness of the gameplay?
I mean if I get to 100 fps and stay there(no distortions) on 60hz, would it be worse than
playing with a 120 or even 240hz monitor with the same frame rate?
FPS and Hz are closely related.

Hz is the TV measurement for "frames per second".

The game can render (internally) faster than 60 fps. The monitor can only display at a rate that matches your refresh rate (at max). That's why trying to get 300 fps out of a 60Hz monitor is stupid and overworking your GPU needlessly.
"
ionface wrote:

The difference between 60hz and 144/120hz is insane, you can easily tell the difference just on your desktop. The point about dips in performance at 60fps vs 120fps just doesn't really make much sense if the game was to run at a constant 500 fps and there's a visual difference between 2 monitors then it's because of the monitors, which is always the case.
To answer op:
If you're just going to play poe then get a 60hz monitor, it's not worth investing more money, just get what has nice picture quality. If you play any fps then get the 144/120hz monitor
Last edited by dark_strand on May 30, 2016, 4:28:06 AM
as drakier already wrote, the biggest improvement in image quality can be achieved by getting a gsync or free sync able combination of monitor/graphics card.

with the monitors refresh rate being fixed you get all sorts of difficulties because the gpu will never be able to reliably generate frames in the monitor's display rate:

if the frame rate is too low, frames have to displayed multiple times, resulting in stutter
if the frame rate is too high, frames have to be blend over (multiple frames have to be shown in one image), resulting in tearing.

with gsync/vsync the monitor adapts it's frame rate to the graphic card's output, the resulting image should be nearly as smooth as with a crt display.

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Last edited by vio on May 30, 2016, 8:18:29 AM
thank you guys, I'm going with the 144hz!
You always want as much fps as you can get (but more important is constant fps). In Counter Strike if I play at 200 fps or 400 fps I can see difference even I have only 144hz monitor. Nevertheless in League of Legends higher fps than monitor can handle has no impact on me.

In compete games like Counter Strike or League of Legends I am turning off G-sync (or whatever sync) as there is visible lag (its valid if your fps is higher than hz your monitor can handle).

Games like for example Skyrim are designed to work on 60fps so you have to limit fps output with Afterburner of NVidia Inspector or monitor to 60hz, otherwise physics is not working as it should be. In other games like Wolfenstein if you do not cap output to 60fps or monitor to 60hz your game is not constant in speed.

Btw gratz for change, you will never want to go back.. .. .. but I would love to have 200hz crt again.. ..but it wont happen... .)

ps: btw I heard 240hz are even better than 144hz monitor - I didnt tested it, but friend of mine did, and is saying is another jump in smoothness or better word would be sharpness - its interpolated - every 2nd frame is black image/screen. If I go for new monitor I would check 240hz and its lag - if its same as 144hz monitors I would buy 240hz for sure.
Last edited by Rexeos on Nov 15, 2016, 7:31:55 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info