Why even bother playing hardcore temp leagues anymore? They're the same now

"
Rafurion wrote:
Default or regular hardcore is better than both standard and temporary standard leagues.

Yes.
We tested it extensively
"
drey2k wrote:
Why does our temp hardcore character go to standard if it dies tho?

This makes no sense to me, it should go to the standard temp league.

It makes no sense nowadays because Temporal Standard and Temporal Hardcore have now the same rewards for the same challengs (you can share the progresses from both leagues). So yeah, from that point of view makes little sense and it kinda sucks that when you die in the Temporal Hardcore you can't go to Temporal Standard to finish some challenges you may be missing for X reward.

However, take in mind that Temporal Standard is also a league of its own for people that like playing Temporal Leagues and for one or other reason they don't like Hardcore (unfair deaths if they have bad connection, they prefer playing glass cannons, they don't have time to level a new character if they rip or they just don't enjoy or need the thrill of permanent deaths).
However those people are also entitled to have their own separate league with a fresh economy and this is like their only chance of playing an economy that doesn't get flooded by items from ripping people, something they are forced to live with in Permanent Standard.

But yeah, you can feel like an idiot if you rip a couple high level challenges short of a new reward when people in standard are getting the same exact reward and there is not even a special thing to show that you did it in hardcore.

Maybe they should think about giving different rewards (like Blue vs Red color armors) by time to time, because even if we play Hardcore because we prefer it, we kinda feel a little ripped off when we get the same exact rewards at higher risk/cost.
You die at 89? Start again all the way up to 90 for the challenge vs losing some XP. You die vs Atziri? Make a new char from zero and get him geared for the fight again vs use one of the 5 remaining portals for another shot.

EDIT: And as the original post question of "Why even bother playing HC Temp Leagues anymore?" The only reason left is because you prefer HC and/or get bored in SC.
Some of us play and prefer HC and get really bored of SC as it feels like playing a game that you can't lose, and that's no fun. So if you are not having fun in SC, that is a reason to play HC.
That said, as mentioned before, I also think that they should give different rewards (even if just by time to time, not in every league) for those that complete the challenges in Hardcore. No better or cooler rewards, just different, like they did with the Blue vs Red colored armor sets back in the day.
Last edited by Kaemonarch on May 28, 2016, 6:18:15 AM
Kill or be killed. gangster.

I'm not much of a gangster though flop around 85-88 haha
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 28, 2016, 6:21:29 AM
This style of HC has been around since early Diablo days (I started HC in D2 personally). it was no different then SC other then you died, once. period.

At least here you're toon goes to SC. back in D2 days (D3 as well), all your gear and stuff was lost permanently. forever. not just moved over to HC.

And both games didn't have any difference, even in achievements. But people still play and enjoy HC. either the OP is a troll, or he doesn't have a clue about why people play HC.
"
Temjiu wrote:
And both games didn't have any difference, even in achievements. But people still play and enjoy HC. either the OP is a troll, or he doesn't have a clue about why people play HC.

Not necessarily. I play HC and I understand why people play HC. Is just that when you have to do the exact same challenges for the exact same rewards, someone that really wants to get the MTXs and is not necessarily able to do it in HC with 100% certainty because he doesn't have that much free time (to start multiple times if he is unlucky) or because is not that skilled/used to the game, he can feel a little cheated out.

In fact, how many of us HC did play SC just because of the MTXs when they gave away that Blue Armor? Well, this is kinda the same. You can get the MTXs 100% sure by playing SC, or you can play the HC that you prefer but maybe not get them.
Wouldn't mind that much if the HC rewards were different, because then you would be actively trying to get the HC rewards. But when they are the same, I think its okay for some people to feel a little cheated out by having a harder time (and sometimes is the difference between getting them or not) if the choose to play the mode they prefer.
Last edited by Kaemonarch on May 28, 2016, 3:37:56 PM
i made like 50+? exalts in standard from flipping/RIPping items from pHC .. i made pHC character specifically to do so..
:P
gifts from above ring was like 6-10 chaos
sold in standard for 3ex each

victario acuity, was like 30chaos
sold in standard for 9-8ex each

i Only really care about standard
, i did do pSC for the challenges/ the portal MTX
and i just played pSC to accumulate all the previous league specific items that sCamdiro was selling
Last edited by CaoMengde on May 28, 2016, 3:54:55 PM
"
Kaemonarch wrote:
You can get the MTXs 100% sure by playing SC, or you can play the HC that you prefer but maybe not get them.

This and the last few achievements I need are the reasons I'm going SC instead of HC next league. That monkey's pretty cool, and I expect it to be vastly easier to get him in SC than HC. That's partly because deaths aren't permanent and partly because of the much larger playerbase. It can be really hard to even find what you need to buy to complete challenges in HC due to it being a ghost town later in the league.

I still love the HC experience. Just not enough to potentially miss out on a weird-ass monkey pet.
yeah i RIPed sooo many times in pSC
lol 1260 times
.. well i was using death to reset instance, farming for coins/ cadiro, full movespeed gear

but yeah i also RIPed REALLY quick in that vaal corrupted map and the perandus manor it lagged out and i was dead when it unfroze lol
Last edited by CaoMengde on May 28, 2016, 3:50:37 PM
"
Kaemonarch wrote:
"
Temjiu wrote:

Not necessarily. I play HC and I understand why people play HC. Is just that when you have to do the exact same challenges for the exact same rewards, someone that really wants to get the MTXs and is not necessarily able to do it in HC with 100% certainty because he doesn't have that much free time (to start multiple times if he is unlucky) or because is not that skilled/used to the game, he can feel a little cheated out.

In fact, how many of us HC did play SC just because of the MTXs when they gave away that Blue Armor? Well, this is kinda the same. You can get the MTXs 100% sure by playing SC, or you can play the HC that you prefer but maybe not get them.
Wouldn't mind that much if the HC rewards were different, because then you would be actively trying to get the HC rewards. But when they are the same, I think its okay for some people to feel a little cheated out by having a harder time (and sometimes is the difference between getting them or not) if the choose to play the mode they prefer.

that's a fair argument. In all honesty, I played early HC when there were no differences, and no rewards other then the sheer fact that I knew that it was more challenging and you were on the edge allot (especially in d2 with all those horribad lightning gloams in act3...you learned how to move fast let me tell ya).

I think in introducing a competitive environment you will probably end up with people who will go the easier route just to get the MTX/title/whatever. while there was never competitions in early D2 HC, I would have toons in both HC and SC...I'd have a few SC toons I could go to to ease my sore behind when I just lost a druid with a bunch of hard earned uniques and a few runewords. But the sense of accomplishment to me was awesome. And because it was so permanent, so impacting, it was a definitive choice that not everyone made.

Not to offend, but the HC in this game is quite watered down. I believe this makes HC more attractive to a larger portion of the fanbase, but it also makes the actual accomplishment of HC less impacting on its own IMO. Having played both styles, I feel that I can say that there is a definite difference. how that plays into the overall scheme of things I can't say for every person, but I can tell you that they pull to play HC in this game isn't the same as it was in D2. and the end resulting feeling I get from it here is similarly less impacting. And in an environment like that, I could see why people are looking for a bit more reason to do HC.
Why bother playing HC? Because it's HC is the simple and only answer. Self-imposed rules aren't as fun. I never played temp HC because the rules were different from SC, I played it primarily because it was HC. I'd play it over SC temp league even if HC temp had no modifiers at all.
Pants of Textile

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info