A thread for stupid things to say which sound really smart

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
Spoiler
The reason I brought up the "the law of gravity is nonsense, if I think I float and you think I float, then it happens" and "reality only exists in the mind" was because they were from 1984 which is a book in some ways dedicated to the idea that history and the past are related but most certainly not the same thing. I felt there was a certain double barreled communication to the Obama quote that fitted the bill. Im guessing youre a far more widely read man than myself so Im sure youve consumed both the book and the film at some point and probably know a lot more about it than me tbh.

When they talk about reality existing in the mind in that book, its obviously a slightly different angle to a standard philosophical position in that what theyre sort of saying is that the only reality that matters in the context they are talking about is that which is in the mind and to truly shape that you must be able to fully believe in stupid things like that statement itself, to know things are right which are not. I guess a little more poetic political psychology than philosophy or science. Though theres elements to the ideas explored in the novel which kind of touch on and are supported by everything youre saying.

It was well over a decade since I read that book so details are long gone, but I simply interpreted that as being part of the brainwashing routine. The party is always right, even when it's wrong. Therefore we float.
You won't get no glory on that side of the hole.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
The reason I brought up the "the law of gravity is nonsense, if I think I float and you think I float, then it happens" and "reality only exists in the mind" was because they were from 1984 which is a book in some ways dedicated to the idea that history and the past are related but most certainly not the same thing. I felt there was a certain double barreled communication to the Obama quote that fitted the bill. Im guessing youre a far more widely read man than myself so Im sure youve consumed both the book and the film at some point and probably know a lot more about it than me tbh.

When they talk about reality existing in the mind in that book, its obviously a slightly different angle to a standard philosophical position in that what theyre sort of saying is that the only reality that matters in the context they are talking about is that which is in the mind and to truly shape that you must be able to fully believe in stupid things like that statement itself, to know things are right which are not. I guess a little more poetic political psychology than philosophy or science. Though theres elements to the ideas explored in the novel which kind of touch on and are supported by everything youre saying.
The word "know" has created a lot more trouble than it's worth. Since the proper word for conclusions reached inductively is "believe," "know" implies knowledge with a purely deductive lineage, and virtually no knowledge fits such a definition (math, knowing what you saw, etc - and knowing what you saw isn't knowing why, or how, you saw it). In most cases, the desire to "know" things we accept as basic truths has led to all kinds of false thinking and posturing, all because we couldn't accept belief as sufficient. It's sad how ashamed secular culture has become of its faith.

That said, inductive reasoning can have flaws and often does, so people believe untrue shit all the time. Yet it's basically impossible to know something untrue; that's why the whole "2+2=5" torture thing is so effective on the reader, because we know he's being forced to accept something he truly, properly knows cannot be true.

Or is that Brave New World? They blur on me sometimes.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 7, 2016, 1:18:56 PM
/me leaves thread
Last edited by bl00dengel on May 7, 2016, 2:20:30 PM
Before bl00dangel edited their post, they had a question along the lines of "what, so people don't know how to swim now?" (Paraphrasing.) And although I haven't changed my mind on a core, conceptual level, I think my semantics may be off; the phrase "believe how to swim" is lame as fuck.

Still, the reason it's lame is mostly due to the nature of the English (and perhaps other) languages, which was in turn heavily impacted by Christianity. As part of their "meek shall inherit" schtick, the church asked folks to have blind faith, claiming that to believe something when you have good evidence is nothing special, but to believe with poor evidence is sacred. This has worked its way into our language to such an extent that "believe" and "faith" are now associated with the opposites of their literal meanings: skepticism and doubt, the natural and proper reactions to dubious evidence.

Kinda fucked up, ain't it?

So now, rebelling against this Bizarro World understanding of faith, you've got legions of folks trying to believe they can live without faith, which is really just... denial, really. Everyone routinely believes things they're not 100% sure of, so belief and doubt are still real issues, no matter how repressed.

Really, for mental health if nothing else, secular culture could benefit from a movement which says it's okay to believe, but that faith is best attributed not to that which is the least, but to that which is the most solid. We should, perhaps even need, to stop yielding faith to the cultists, reclaim the corrupted concept, and rebrand it with the dignity and reverence it deserves.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 7, 2016, 3:12:45 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Before bl00dangel edited their post, they had a question along the lines of "what, so people don't know how to swim now?" (Paraphrasing.) And although I haven't changed my mind on a core, conceptual level, I think my semantics may be off; the phrase "believe how to swim" is lame as fuck.

Still, the reason it's lame is mostly due to the nature of the English (and perhaps other) languages, which was in turn heavily impacted by Christianity. As part of their "meek shall inherit" schtick, the church asked folks to have blind faith, claiming that to believe something when you have good evidence is nothing special, but to believe with poor evidence is sacred. This has worked its way into our language to such an extent that "believe" and "faith" are now associated with the opposites of their literal meanings: skepticism and doubt, the natural and proper reactions to dubious evidence.

Kinda fucked up, ain't it?

So now, rebelling against this Bizarro World understanding of faith, you've got legions of folks trying to believe they can live without faith, which is really just... denial, really. Everyone routinely believes things they're not 100% sure of, so belief and doubt are still real issues, no matter how repressed.

Really, for mental health if nothing else, secular culture could benefit from a movement which says it's okay to believe, but that faith is best attributed not to that which is the least, but to that which is the most solid. We should, perhaps even need, to stop yielding faith to the cultists, reclaim the corrupted concept, and rebrand it with the dignity and reverence it deserves.

"Just breathe."

Spoiler
You be surprised how infuriating and stupid this is when you're upset
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Last edited by solwitch on May 7, 2016, 3:22:09 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

Epistemology covers that, sort of.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
I'd be kinda surprised if anyone other than me and Nero have studied epistemology at all prior to this thread. And I'm no philosophy major.

But still, yeah, what I'm basically advocating is popularizing awareness of a rational epistemology in popular culture.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 7, 2016, 4:48:37 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I'd be kinda surprised if anyone other than me and Nero have studied epistemology at all prior to this thread. And I'm no philosophy major.

It is of concern for scientists, medics and engineers. PoE atracts that kind of public (you know, nerd tree). I learned about it from a book made by...a positivist. Make of that what you wish. University, lol.
Last edited by NeroNoah on May 7, 2016, 4:50:52 PM
Oh hey, doing a little research into epistemology is eye-opening. As a former Ayn Rand weirdo I was familiar with her views on the topic but hadn't really delved into anything else.

One of my big long rants could be summarized as: all a priori knowledge is completely deductive (how can one have evidence without experience), and all a posteriori knowledge is at least partially inductive. Well, that, and "existence exists" is a posteriori knowledge; anyone who's actually watched newborns for a decent while can tell that much.

Given this, the state of philosophy can be pretty much explained with this quote: "induction is the glory of science and the scandal of philosophy." Philosophy's failure to deal with the problem of induction in a decisive manner has historically made it practically* meaningless to human life, whereas science has consistently maintained relevance and led to progress.

* I mean "practically" in the literal sense here, as in "in practice."
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on May 7, 2016, 10:13:57 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Oh hey, doing a little research into epistemology is eye-opening. As a former Ayn Rand weirdo I was familiar with her views on the topic but hadn't really delved into anything else.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

PS: I used to be a social conservative. I know what's to be a bible weirdo, and I'm still feel like not tolerating a lot of social conservative's shit, XD
Last edited by NeroNoah on May 7, 2016, 10:16:56 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info