An Interview with our Level Design Department

Interesting. :)

I am curious more about your developers. :) It is very nice to know about you awesome guys, creators of my favorite game - POE !
Proud Crusader of Hardcore Leagues.
Hi, can you finally change isometric view angle???
Would have bern better if it was recorded
I usually do not read popular posts again after i made a comment on it, unless it's one of my own. I wish to have a Black robed Grim Reaper micro set in game one day, grant my wish, GGG
Sounds like Chris G was quite the pickup
Designing Cospri's Will: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1665314
Designing Cospri's Malice: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1717008
Iron Heart/Iron Fortress too!
People in GGG do amazing jon. :D

"
more interactivity in the levels!

I hope for more levels with traps, switches and magic things that you have to unlock to process to next area like in mud flats.
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
Last edited by kamil1210 on Apr 26, 2016, 2:34:35 AM
Very nice read. I like how a few info about improvements on Lab was leaked. An interview with other roles would be great too. An interview the team series.
PoE-TradeMacro - https://github.com/PoE-TradeMacro/POE-TradeMacro/
ExileTrade - http://exiletrade.github.io/
Hm. Some of it sounds pretty detached from the actual player, to be honest. I guess he is talking about the Colosseum map there? Who of the people that actually run that map struggle for survival in it? The reason they don't pay attention is probably more that they are trying to speed clear. Lots of builds just oneshot the entire screen in that maps (not necessarily the boss, but normal / magic / rare mobs).

Also, the lab traps - make them rewarding to go through and not just "no one has time for this"? Well. Usually going sideways and exploring is a bad idea because it is not worth it, the rewards are not there. And people farming enchantments? They just ignore the traps by whirling through. You can also just run through most of the traps on a Quicksilver. "No one has time for this" describes it pretty well.

Not that I dislike the lab, I like it a lot. But most of the traps can indeed unfortunately be ignored (the trap doors being the notable exception, and the lava maybe), and going sideways offers way too little rewards.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
at least i now know the faces to thump.
Great read, I especially enjoyed the answers to "How can an aspiring level designer break into the industry?".

Specifically when Chris said "If I'm hiring level designers, I'd rather hire a guy with no industry experience but a kick ass maps portfolio rather than someone with a fancy diploma"-- this is a point that I've heard brought up before, someone I know hired a guy with 0 schooling that studied in his own time and ended up getting a cisco certification, which landed him a job others would usually go to school for 6-8 years for.

Although it may only be contingently relevant, I tend to share similar views based on the fact that a majority of the content learned in many universities (especially here in the U.S.) can be found through other resources, without the "spoon-fed" pacing & slave-like debt. From introductory particle physics to nearly ANY branch of philosophy; majority of the past & present information, along with the scholarly evolution of the subject, are found easily through online sources or via cheap books. Some people will of course benefit in a multitude of ways from having resources that colleges offer, but the modern view of college education, along with the opposing stigmas associated with not having a college education, can unfortunately compel individuals to carry on paths that may not be suitable for them.

Spoiler

Quote from Immanuel Kant

“Genius is the ability to independently arrive at and understand concepts that would normally have to be taught by another person.”

[....]

"[To think for oneself] is the maxim of a reason never passive. The tendency to such passivity, and therefore to heteronomy of reason, is called prejudice; and the greatest prejudice of all is to represent nature as not subject to the rules that the understanding places at its basis by means of its own essential law, i.e. is superstition. Deliverance from superstition is called enlightenment; because although this name belongs to deliverance from prejudices in general, yet superstition especially (in sensu eminenti) deserves to be called a prejudice. For the blindness in which superstition places us, which it even imposes on us as an obligation, makes the need of being guided by others, and the consequent passive state of our reason, peculiarly noticeable.”
More interactivity in level design is greatly appreciated from my side. Make the next challenge league require interactivity with the world, more environmental challenges instead of mind numbing RNG grind and facing off against sudden spikes of incoming damage.
"Into the Labyrinth!
left step, right step, step step, left left.
Into the Labyrinth!"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info