Bringer of Ballistae: Bringer of Rain+Lioneye's Glare=3 Ballistae and 175k+ dps (HC build)

Why this build?
Spoiler

I have experimented with a bunch of different ways to use Siege Ballista since it came out and have run many of them well into the 80s or early 90s. (I personally play HC only) I've obsessed over this skill and have posted two previous guides. This is far and away the best build I have come up with yet, and no one appears to have posted about it up to this point. Fast leveling plan to 67 (discussed below), followed by 200M+/hour runs in dried lake for fast leveling to 79 when this build was originally posted. (See updated build in comments below to level 92) Bringer of Rain makes excellent use of the Scion-Hierophant ascendancy, which otherwise seemed rather a dud. I have confirmed that with Siege Ballista BOR effectively acts as a 5.5 Link. Using Scion Hierophant+Ancestral Bond, we get 3 ballistae and no weapon limitations or stat requirements. We can achieve better dps and much better character survivability than is usually offered by iron commander builds. We stay largely on the left side of the tree, making use of Iron Grip to complement the resulting high strength, and using our 7 jewel slots primarily as our damage nodes for efficiency. Everything is explained below

Attack and Defense Stats at lvl 79 (Level 92 stats with 175k dps are in comments section below)
Spoiler

Attack
Number of Ballistae: 3
Ballista base tooltip dps: 13,152
With Hatred, Herald of ash, and Lightning Golem: 20,463
With above+5 frenzy charges: 28,271
With above+3 power charges: 29,980
With above+active Sulphur Flask 32,036
Multiply by 3 ballistae 96,108
Multiply by 1.42 for Curse on Hit Proj. Weakness 136,473

Defense
Life: 4163
ES: 243
Life regen: 204/sec
Ele res: all 75
Chaos res: -31%
phys mit: 43%
Evasion 5%

When considering defensive stats, appreciate that while build is complete offensively at lvl 79, it is now adjacent to 11 life nodes, 8 5% and 3 4%+armor that will boost life considerably as the build levels above 79. It is also possible to sacrifice some dps for additional life using some of the available jewel slots, to your individual taste. Current build has 0 life in 7 jewel slots.

Key Uniques, Current gear/jewel list, and gear/jewel priorities
Spoiler

Key Uniques:

Bringer of Rain: Build enabling. It allows us to make good use of the Scion-Hierophant Ascendancy that provides 1 extra totem for skills in helm, while still having an effective 5.5 links for our main skill. (I have compared identical gear set ups, subbing out BOR for an ordinary helm and using a 5L, and confirmed that 4L in BOR dps is approximately 1/2 a link superior)

Drillneck: BIS for siege ballista, given SB's 100% pierce chance

Brinerot Whalers: Excellent dps boost, appears to me to be BIS for this build

Lioneye's Glare: Best usually obtainable for version of build not focusing on crit. For SC variations, could consider a high end high crit bow instead, substitute a Lioneye's fall jewel on the leftmost jewel slot, and take the resulting nearbye crit nodes immediately to the right and above instead of additional life.

Rain of Splinters: Provides LMP without wasting a slot and with significantly less dps loss.

Meginord's Girdle: Appears to be BIS for the build, adding significant dps and 10% life bonus

My current Gear/Flasks/Jewels is as follows:

Priorities:
Gear: After capping rezzes, prioritize life defensively and flat damage/str offensively.

Jewels: Jewel slots provide much of your damage in this build. Look for jewels with either 3 positive damage/atk speed modifiers or jewels with 2 of those modifiers and a third that fixes rezzes or stats as needed. As of this writing, such jewels could be had in the 5-10c range each

Gem Set up:
Spoiler

Because we get no chest piece, gem set up must be very efficient:

Helm: Siege Ballista, Phys Proj Attack Dam, Slower Proj, Pierce

Note that every support gem has a "more" damage modifier. If you are playing in an area for which you are somewhat over-leveled (in Dried lake while leveling 67-79, past a certain point) you can substitute GMP for pierce. Clearing Dried lake with 3 ballista firing 7 projectiles each is an experience you will enjoy, and the xp/hr boost from clearing trash in this mode is significant. That said, when playing in higher maps, I find the build does better with the setup above.

Weapon: Frenzy, GMP, Curse on hit, Proj Weakness

The benefit of virtually always having 5 frenzy charges up and having every curseable
enemy that survives more than a split second taking 42% more damage cannot be
overstated.

Gloves: CWDT (lvl 1), Immortal Call (lvl 3), Enfeeble (lvl 5), Hatred

Having Enfeeble proc regularly is a significant defensive bonus,

Boots: Blink Arrow, Faster Attacks, Lightning Golem, Herald of Ash

Attack speed from lightning golem benefits SB more than other golems, imo

Tree at lvl 79:
Spoiler

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAABAAHcA5YFLQagFCAYkRo4Gj4hYCHQJy8pLimlKhMuUzGeMgkyfjWSNug6UjsoPEtDMUSeR35KyE3jU7tXDVgXWK9Y5VnzWhpaK1pSXz9gQ2SEZU1mVGaeaFhoZWxGbj1uqm87cg9ybHKpdO108XXLdqx343gNeWh7bnvDfLiDCYTZhmCHKYnYjHaNfpBVlG-XIZtdoj6j8qSgpleomqlurKqtjbXytzG3tryfvTa-gL6nv9XAGsEEwXzDM89-02_Xlti92WHaweoY6mLvDvGs8i_yl_Ob9zL5vf6P

Bandits:
Spoiler

Normal: Oak
Cruel: Kraityn
Merc: Kraityn

Ascendancies:
Spoiler

Normal: 20 str/20 int (toward Templar) and 40 dex (toward Ranger
Cruel: Passive Point, Hierophant in Templar
Merc: Passive Point, Raider in Ranger

Hierophant is build enabling. Together with Ancestral Bond on the regular tree, it allows us 3 Siege Ballistae without restricting our weapon choice.

Raider provides us essentially permanent onslaught. +20% atk speed and +20% move speed improves overall clear speed dramatically.

Both have some nice incidental bonuses. Of particular note is Hierophant's 20% chance to generate a power charge on placing a totem. This means we will have 3 power charges up much of the time. The Lioneye Glare version of the build, which I am running doesn't make use of this except as an incidental bonus. I could conceive (more likely for sc than hc) a crit version of the build that would use a high end decent crit bow, substitute the left-most jewel slot for a Lioneye Fall, and then take the adjacent crit nodes both above (that used to be for staff) and to the right (for general melee) and the adjacent additional power charge. I suspect dps would go up significantly from here, but at a cost to survivability that an hc build will want more for higher lvl maps.

Leveling Plan:
Spoiler

I very much enjoy the rapidity with which this build levels. I would be interested in your feedback on this issue, as I have only my own experience to compare to. My plan is as follows:

1-32 I like to level with split arrow, using roth's reach from 18-32.

32-62: Grab a cheap iron commander bow, a fluid motion jewel (converts str to dex with dex bonus) and a briskwrap armor (+15% dex). All of these are inexpensive and will be used for this section of leveling only. Place the fluid motion jewel in the jewel slot just below berserking. You should be able to achieve 400+ dex without much trouble with this set up. This will give you 3 siege ballistae and solid dps with iron commander. Add drillneck at lvl 36 and your overall dps should be 6-8k depending on other gear, improving somewhat as you level and take dps nodes. This set up levels quickly and comfortably to 62.

62-66: By now you should have Ancestral Bond and your Cruel Ascendancy, which allows you 3 ballista no matter what your weapon. You can either keep the set up above (which will have 5 ballista by now) or, if you are feeling indulgent, grab a Chin Sol and go down to 3 ballista but up significantly in dps. When you switch out Iron Commander, also switch out the fluid motion jewel.

66+: At 66 you can equip Lioneye's Glare, which will dramatically boost your dps. At 67 you can equip Bringer of Rain and all of the basic gear for the build will be in place.

Regarding tree order, I would prioritize as follows:

Step one: Proceed down proj. damage through to iron grip picking up berserking, totemic zeal, and 2 jewel slots along the way. These will be used for rain of splinters and a dps jewel of your choice

Step two: Proceed to Iron Reflexes, picking up all of the Duelist area nodes along the way

Step three: From just above Iron Grip, Proceed up the left side of the tree to Ancestral bond directly, without detouring. The three str nodes that are blank in my tree are deleted later when you come back and connect through the marauder start area.

Step four: Connect through Marauder Start area, delete 3 extra str nodes, and fill out the rest of the build as shown on tree

Step five: (where I am at currently) Pick up all remaining adjacent life nodes if hc OR consider going crit as discussed above if sc

Final Thoughts:
Spoiler

This build is the culmination of a lot of experimenting with SB. I hope some of you enjoy it as much as I have. I welcome your feedback and am happy to answer any questions
Last edited by Orion72 on Apr 21, 2016, 5:11:37 PM
Last bumped on Oct 1, 2016, 4:12:30 AM
Update confirming my HC plan for durability. Currently lvl 86 and have taken the 7 immediately adjacent 5% life nodes. Life total is now 5011. Seems able to do most map mods at T11, as long as particularly deadly combinations are avoided. No regen works fine as long as careful of desecrated ground, Blood magic is doable by dropping auras, Ele weakness doable by turning off HOA and substituting in purity of elements for Lightning golem, Lightning ground is free due to boots. Enfeeble/Vuln/temp chains are all ok. I am wary of -max res, but I feel that way with every build. And leveling from 79-86 took only a handful of hours. Continuing to go well, all in all.
Leveled to 87 and respecced slightly after getting more efficient jewels/gloves/ammy that allowed me to lose the dex node and the Templar area ele res/ES nodes. Decided to see if I could incorporate a little bit of crit, even with only 5% base on lioneye's glare, giving up some life in the process. I feel the results have been very good. Comfortably doing up to T-13s now (haven't found anything higher) with wide variety of mods.

Current Offensive stats:
Base dps per ballista: 16,269
w/ Hatred/HOA/Light Golem:25,535
w/ 5 Frenzy: 34,975
w/ 3 Power: 37,102
w/ Sulphur: 39,491(in practice, have now subbed this flask out for quicksilver)
x3 Ballistae: 118,473
x1.43 Proj. Weakness: 169,416 (159,167 w/out Sulphur)
Overall improvement to dps is a little better than 24% more. Offensive gems still not fully leveled and virtually no quality. Definitely planning to take life nodes and perhaps a few armor nodes from here on out.

Current Basic Defense:
Armor: 6500/39% mit
Life: 4648
ES: 243
Life Regen: 227/sec
Updated tree is here:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAABAAHcA5YFLQagFCAUTRiRGjgaPiFgIdAnLykuKaUqEy5TMZ4yCTJ-NZI26DpSOyg8Sz0-QXJDMUSeR35KyE3jUEdTu1cNWBdYr1jlWfNaGlorWlJfP2BDZIRlTWZUZp5oWGhlbEZuPW6qbztyD3Jscql07XTxdct2rHfjeA15aHtue8N8uIMJhNmGYInYjX6QVZJ9kweUb5chm12iPqPypKCmV6iaqW6sqq2NtfK3trlDvJq8n702voC-p7_VwBrBBMF8wzPJZ89-02_Xlti92WHaweXP6hjqYu1E7w7xrPKX85v3Mvm9_Ev-jw==
How do you cap res with this gear set?
Currently, two of my jewels (out of the seven jewel slots) have +11 cold&lightning res each. This is sufficient for me to have capped rezzes, when coupled with other gear and rezzes from tree. I also, temporarily, used the diamond skin node (Marauder area +15% all rezzes) and specced back out of it when gear improved.
Last edited by Orion72 on Apr 21, 2016, 4:13:53 AM
Current Update:
Build is now leveled to 92 on Perandus HC. Clear speed continues to feel fast up to T13 maps (have not gotten any T14 or t15 drops) and build, with minor adjustments to gem set up, can do any single mod (though there are some combinations worth avoiding because they are either deadly in combination [i.e., too many damage mods] or simply unfun [i.e. Phys reflect+desecration+no mana/life regen]). Have been able to take on every boss successfully up to T13s except Malform piety, which may be more due to my lack of comfort with fight than anything inherent to build. Posting current Offensive Defensive stats, gear & jewel list, and tree below.

Offense/Defense:
Spoiler

Offensive stats:
Base dps per ballista: 17,970
With Hatred, Herald of Ash, Lightning Golem: 28,394
With above and 5 frenzy 38,781
With above and 3 power 41,111
x3 ballista= 123,333
x1.43 for Proj weakness on hit 176,366

Defensive Stats:
Life: 4872
ES: 221
Life Regen 238/sec
Armor: 6541/39% phys mit.
Ele Rezzes: Capped
Chaos Rez: -8%

Current Gear & jewel list:
Spoiler

Current tree
Spoiler

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAABAAHcA5YFLQagFCAUTRiRGjgaPiFgIdAnLykuKaUqEy5TMZ4yCTJ-NZI26DpSOyg7OzxLPT5BckMxRJ5HfkrITeNQR1HmU7tXDVgXWK9Y5VnzWhpaK1pSXz9gQ2SEZU1mVGaeaFhoZWxGbj1uqm87cg9ybHKpdO108XXLdqx3U3fjeA15aHrve257w3y4gwmE2YZgidiNfpBVkn2TB5RvlyGbXZ7Foj6j8qSgpleomqlurKqtjbXyt7a5Q7yavJ-9Nr6Avqe_1cAawQTBfMMzyWfPftNv15bYvdlh2sHlz-oY6mLtRO8O8azyl_Ob9zL5vfxL_o8=
Last edited by Orion72 on Apr 21, 2016, 5:08:12 PM
How come you go for a Bringer of Rain in this build and not a 6L chest with some other helmet?

E: Nvm, i didnt read up on the ascendancies :)

Last edited by AMR395 on Apr 29, 2016, 4:06:37 AM
Good build! I have been playing this in SC and everything is great Keep up the good work! Currently on level 68
Hey there.

I loved siege ballistae as a support attack on my ranger so decided to look for a fun build that's more focused on it and glad i found yours.

Currently only level 72 but went in mapping straight to the mid tiers so should go fast. Clear speed and dmg is very nice and that's with basic stat items and practictly no jewels yet so i feel i have lots of room for improving.

Leveling was sometimes a little struggle, but all in all went good, defenitly from the moment on that you can use 3 ballistae. Bor and lioneye's are a huge improvement as well ofc.

On the left lower corner of your tree i went for Juggernaut and Ironwood to get to iron grip though.
Also using a Poacher's Aim Viridian Jewel:
15% chance of Projectiles Piercing
10% increased Projectile Damage
What are your thoughts on those?

And what is your final idea about incorperating crit? How much crit chance/multi you ended with?

Grt!
Have you thought about taking King of the Hill for boss killing?
Last edited by Tulium on Jul 1, 2016, 10:49:44 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info