Performance Improvements

Since Ascendancy, I've been basically unable to play due to my laptop's CPU overheating and throttling itself. None of the patches thus far have helped that situation.

I'm hoping the 64 bit/dx11 client will solve that issue, but is there any chance you're looking into how much CPU load the current client uses since the expansion?
2 of my big complaints are addressed, so i am happy to see that you are working on those things. Slightly disappointed about the actual roadmap and ETA :/ Maybe a party play in 2017 :)
I represent only myself, my own thought and believes. I am individual, not a representative of the community.
I am not speaking on behalf of someone else and I don't get offended by things that have nothing to do with me.

3.13 was the golden age.
I expected some talk about particle effects optimization, especially drastic performance issues in parties, which are due to particle spam.

Even simple things like burning ground noticeably impacts the game performance. Will we have to wait until 2017 & DX11 port for these fixes?

One of the major reasons why me and many other players dont party in this multiplayer game, is bad performance.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Thanks GGG for keeping us up to date, it shows us how much you value us and makes us feel more than just customers, thanks a lot!
Lightning Warp fix?
"
Chris wrote:
On 32 bit versions of Windows, processes are allowed to have 3gb of data loaded. On 64 bit versions of Windows, Path of Exile can load 4gb of data at once.

i would have mentioned that this is only valid if the computer has more than 4 gbyte of physical ram installed?
currently, with the 32 bit client, replacing a 32-bit win7 with a 64-bit version resolves no memory problems if peeps only have 4 gbyte ram because the system memory will eat alot of it.

"
Chris wrote:
We've recently been doing a thorough sweep of all of our assets to work out exactly when the best time to load each is. The first part of these changes were deployed in 2.2.1e, and more are coming in 2.2.2 next week and subsequent patches. The changes so far have reduced both synchronous-load stuttering and memory usage/load times. The rare crashes that occurred changing areas on 64-bit systems are now gone.

you probably mean 32-bit systems.

thanks for the detailed writeup. much appreciated.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Last edited by vio on Apr 6, 2016, 3:58:44 AM
Very informative, thanks for sharing ^^
GG GGG
"
sklipnoty wrote:
"
phmn wrote:
"
sklipnoty wrote:

Perhaps the problem is that GGG's tries to support to many Potato's. I mean you need to put the bar somewhere. I prefer stability over wide-support.

Honestly It sounds to me like the only real fix for this game. What mess around for another 2 years to optimize the current engine? I'm they are rewriting whole portions of it, so why not do it good from the start?

First of all having an operating system older that Windows 10 does't make it a potato pc. My computer is prety decent but I use Windows 7. Does that mean that I have to upgrade to an operating system I don't want to just so that I can keep playing path of exile?

You prefer stability over wide-support? So what you are saying is that because you have an new system GGG should optimize the game caring only for your system, ignoring a huge portion of the playerbase they already have?

It's one thing making a new gaming that requires a new system and a completely different thing to givup on the majority of your playerbase just because they don't have the latest system/OS. Tell me, how many online games have you seen changing their engine or requirements after year of being active and saying that now only players who can upgrade can play?

In addition it is a good practice for companies to support as many systems as possible. Only huge companies with highly marketed blockbusters can afford to make games saying that they can only be supported by the latest system and even they still try to make their game playable to as many systems as possible.

You mentioned the word stability. What makes you think that working on a new framework (DirectX 12) will be more stable that working on an existing one that is being worked for quite some time? DirectX 12 may have new features, but in principle it won't be very stable in the begining because it is a new system.

Finally, I don't know the exact plan GGG has for their game engine, however generally changing the engine of a game is not a trivial task and it is certainly preferable to optimise the current engine, if this is feasible. Also changing some portions of the engine is still not the same as changing the engine entirely.

Well you can patch it up, as much as you want I'm afraid it won't solve the problems beneath.

Honestly you really want to turn this in a W7 vs W10 discussion? Because really? Go install W98, you still had privacy in that one or do me a favour and install Ubuntu/Fedora/Arch/... I mean people who still use W7 and think it's better then W10, have no real rational reason to do so. In any case W7 support will fade eventually and then you'll have to hop over. (4 years from now)

If you have even watched at the performance differences between Dx11 and Dx12, well I hope for you they are going to offer a seperate Dx12 package.

I'm not asking to cater for my specific system. I'm asking to make the game stable. Since I only had lag problems in the last leageus and now I have a ton more stability problems. In other words the changes affected these.

Honestly majority of player base? All people who posted here, posted pretty decent rigs. So perhaps if ggg releases some info on this, we can go further than assumptions. The fact is the stability is crap on high-end rigs and it shoudln't be.

Ever wonder what happened to DX10? It shipped with Vista only, and had no support on XP. You know what happened to it?

It faded into irrelevancy.

Failing to support one of the still largely in-use world-wide operating systems is a bad move for independent business trying to operate on a world-wide scale. You cut it out, and you cut out a decent sized portion of your player base in certain countries.

I have no issues with and use Windows 10, however, people who prefer Windows 7 are perfectly fine in continuing to use it. Same with older OSes. Especially if they're poorer and cannot afford upgrades. The people in this thread in particular are no good judge of the people at mass who play this game. A small sample size does not equal the overall.

"You go on pretending that you own the universe,
And we'll all be here watching as you're falling down to Earth."
"
sklipnoty wrote:

Honestly you really want to turn this in a W7 vs W10 discussion? Because really? Go install W98, you still had privacy in that one or do me a favour and install Ubuntu/Fedora/Arch/... I mean people who still use W7 and think it's better then W10, have no real rational reason to do so. In any case W7 support will fade eventually and then you'll have to hop over. (4 years from now)

I like how you think that the only reason most people don't have windows 10 is because of the new privacy policy for windows 10 (and I also like how you think that everyone should not care about privacy because you don't care about it). Windows 7 is still more stable and I think it is better for doing work (don't tell me I haven't used it, I have Windows 10 on my laptop). Upgrading may also mean additional cost and there is some risk that the upgrade may cause problems (for example compatibility issues etc).

Finally not everyone is using their computer just for games. I prefer using Windows 7 for now as it is more suitable for my work at the time being.

"
sklipnoty wrote:

If you have even watched at the performance differences between Dx11 and Dx12, well I hope for you they are going to offer a seperate Dx12 package.

I haven't watched the performance differences. From the other hand just because you use Dx12 doesn't mean you are automatically going to have a performance benefit, you have to exploit the new features efficiently to be able to get the performance benefit.

And of cource as I said Dx12 may improve performance, but it certainly won't initially improve stability because it is a new system that may have a lot of bugs.

"
sklipnoty wrote:

I'm not asking to cater for my specific system. I'm asking to make the game stable. Since I only had lag problems in the last leageus and now I have a ton more stability problems. In other words the changes affected these.

In other words the problem wasn't inherently the operating system or DirectX, but that they have introduced new features that resulted in new bugs.

"
sklipnoty wrote:

Honestly majority of player base? All people who posted here, posted pretty decent rigs. So perhaps if ggg releases some info on this, we can go further than assumptions. The fact is the stability is crap on high-end rigs and it shoudln't be.

Again you are making the argument that just because most people (?) have a good computer the rest should give up on path of exile. Surely there is a line that they have to draw, but the line you are suggesting would be a really bad business decision.

As for the majority of players, you can look it up yourself but here are some links:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Desktop_and_laptop_computers
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Surely many have upgraded to windows 10 and even more will in a year, perhaps I may be one of them too. But the amount of people that will have an OS below windows 10 will still be significant.

Last edited by phmn on Apr 6, 2016, 3:46:07 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info