Performance Improvements

"
Chris wrote:

64-bit DirectX 11 Client
Path of Exile client that is compiled as a 64-bit executable and will use DirectX 11 This release is planned for 2017.

64-bit client, this sounds exiting.
Why not move to OpenGL or Vulkan so you can port to other platforms aswell?
Hope its more January than December :-)

"

Conclusion
Normally we'd make these improvements without drawing attention to exactly how the game internals work or what was wrong.

It is very interesting, please keep doing so!
The infrastructure is not good in TX. For one thing, it gets very hot here in summer (sometimes in winter) like over 110F and a lot of the cables and what not are not rated for that much heat. No one replaces them.

Very 3rd world here!
Censored.
"
PsOfOs wrote:
So if this game used dx11 we would not have these horrible lags and freezes when many effects happen at once?
I can't inderstand how people don't have dx11 capable gpu.
I mean how old are they?
Not wanting to sound arrogant but seriously gaming companies cannot slow down their progress because people have still win xp or 2005 gpu.
I never paid for windows and i have win 10 pro fully activated. My previous amd5850 had dx11 support.
How can one be a gamer in 2016 with older than 5850 gpu or win xp?

Can you donate $1000 to me?
my english sux.
"
Chris wrote:
Keeping the game performing well
Wut? It never performed well.
"
narg62 wrote:
SO I'm going to ask you GGG, the same question I have asked since alpha:

"Why can I play current 2014-2016 high def, highly graphical games at FULL graphics and have zero problems with it, whether it comes to how much is on screen at once, or however many parrticals are on the screen moving at the same time?

How come I can run battle field 4 at max FPS and graphics and the game doesnt slow down or simply pause? Like ever?

How come when I play path of exile, and JUST A FEW partical effects are happening at the same time, my game slows to a halt and almost freezes?

Why can every other game company push out games in ALPHA that can handle the graphics that the game puts out but YEARS after POE's release, we are still dealing with the same problems?

What are other companies doing that you are not?

It's very simple, the poe's engine is clunky and not optimized, but it's normal. You are comparing Frostbite engine to poe engine, you are comparing a bugatti veyron with a ford fiesta.
You are comparing AAA games with 3d engines developped over 20 years (cry engine, frostbite, unreal engine, id tech4, gamebryo, source engine...) to a little indie engine made in 2-3 years. Are you serious? Do you know how many developpers worked on theses engines over 20 years?

Hey did you know that thoses engines have a lot of code from quake and doom games? (john carmack, if you read this...)

"
del_diablo wrote:
"
Geisalt wrote:
"
del_diablo wrote:

It do improve performance. I needed to mess with the ini to clear Dominus ages ago, when I had a HD 5670.
Which is weird, because texture quality tends to never impact performance in games, so I assume it makes particles less taxing.

5670 is 4 times slower than the 750 ti, it's equivalent to a GT 440 or a 9800GT! It's 200% badder than a 4870 and it's a 8 years old graphic card. In Short, the 5670 is not a graphic card anymore but a chipset to launch the windows desktop if your CPU nor your motherboard have a graphic chip.

The newest graphic chipset included in the Intel cpu is better than the 5670 and the 440gt.
(they lack decent drivers for video games but...)

and AMD GPU chipset is far greater than the intel one ;p

5670 cannot handle thoses textures. It's not because the textures are performance heavy... It's the 5670's fault. It was already a cheap card in 2010 and i do not expect it to run poe decently in 2016. It's bottlenecked by 64 000 MB /s memory bandwith when a normal game in 1080 P needs 100 000+ to be "safe". In short with full texture it will stutter a lot and the fps will be drastically decreased by the memory limited speed, Enjoy 20 FPS constantly.

Also, it could be a hard drive problem with IDE connectors, when the game loads 1 Gb of textures, the hard drive matters a lot.

H a h a h a h a h a a h a h a h a
a h a h a h a h a a h a h a h a
h a h a h a h a a h a h a h a
a h a h a h a a h a h a h a
h a h a h a a h a h a h a
a h a h a a h a h a h a
h a h a a h a h a h a
a h a a h a h a h a
h a a h a h a h a
a a h a h a h a
a h a h a h a
h a h a h a
a h a h a
h a h a
a h a
h a
a

Good joke, my friend :)

But it's not a joke, also i'm not your friend.

"
virusek wrote:
"
Geisalt wrote:
AMD users are fine, the performances on my 4870 in 1080P was decent. Not that much badder than the 660 ti i bought after. And the 4870 is relatively old compared to the 660ti.

If you want to talk about driver optimization, ask AMD directly. GGG cant do much about it...
Note that NVIDIA performances arent not that good either and the drivers use some tricky things that can reduce the visual quality. ( example the 16x anisotropic optimization is so bad, the flat textures are completley screwed at long range, it's not noticable in a recent game.)

Amd has similar stuffs too thoo i noticed a difference between amd and nvidia in texture quality. I prefer the amd. Thoo i noticed thoses differences in 2012, therefore it could be completely outdated.

right now i have a 980Ti and i can tell that the anisotropic filter Sucks for real. It aliases the textures, a big shame.

Yes, but performance on GCN cards is MUCH worse than HD4780 (and all VLIW cards). AMD GCN cards (HD7xxx+) are optimized for DX11/DX12, they stalls a lot at uploading data from system memory to GPU memory, mostly vertex buffer upload which crippled games like Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2 - they run 60FPS+ on HD5670 and 15-30FPS on R9 380 !
I have done some workaround for FFXIII for AMD users on Steam forums. I reported this issue to AMD too, they should check drivers for bugs/possible optimizations in vertex buffer upload code for GCN cards, because I found this issue in bunch of D3D9 games.

Sorry for a little off topic but GGG should be aware of this because many users have AMD GCN graphic cards and ignoring that users is more hurtful for their economy that dropping Windows XP support.

I didnt know :O very interresting, if it hasnt been fixed in a such long time it's probably an architecture problem... and will never be fixed? What was your workaround for ff 13?

http://developer.amd.com/wordpress/media/2013/05/GCNPerformanceTweets.pdf
there is a lot of things about vertex shader, so it's apparently a weakness of gcn yep
I will never be good but always I try to improve.
"
C1111 wrote:
"
PsOfOs wrote:
So if this game used dx11 we would not have these horrible lags and freezes when many effects happen at once?
I mean how old are they?
Not wanting to sound arrogant but seriously gaming companies cannot slow down their progress because people have still win xp or 2005 gpu.
I never paid for windows and i have win 10 pro fully activated. My previous amd5850 had dx11 support.

Dude,i am no rich man but you don't need 1000$ for a dx11 gpu and a decent processor.
Game ran fine on 5850 before upgrade and it costs 50$ used. From a dx9 gpu it will be an upgrade for games that support it.
A rocking high settings on most AAA games upgrade (mobo cpu gpu) costs like 300$ if you go amd.
Noone's talking about top hardware.
"
PsOfOs wrote:
"
C1111 wrote:
"
PsOfOs wrote:
I mean how old are they?

Dude,i am no rich man but you don't need 1000$ for a dx11 gpu and a decent processor.
Game ran fine on 5850 before upgrade and it costs 50$ used. From a dx9 gpu it will be an upgrade for games that support it.
A rocking high settings on most AAA games upgrade (mobo cpu gpu) costs like 300$ if you go amd.
Noone's talking about top hardware.

no if this game used dx11 you would get 10/15% more fps AT BEST , nothing else.

DX version will not change the stutter / lag / loading time.

Gaming companies do not slowdown their progress, the market is large, the dx9 compatibility problem was a 2013 problem. But dx11 WILL NOT magically improve the performances.
I will never be good but always I try to improve.
Last edited by Geisalt on Apr 7, 2016, 3:31:55 PM
Great news!

will poe make use of more then 4 physical cores (in the future)?
breadwell-e looks really nice
"
C1111 wrote:
"
PsOfOs wrote:
I mean how old are they?

That's the thing ... you don't need 1000$ for a gaming PC nowadays.
Start with buying an APU. It's a good processor and it removes the need for a GPU, and it's even cheaper than an Intel processor.

Buy a motherboard compatible with the APU...

Buy 8GB RAM compatible with the mobo ...

Maybe buy a computer case and put some glitter on it.

Full upgrade complete, you're good for the next 5 years or more.
fuck, I just lost my best map from a DC, invested with chaos and fragments and a map device mod, hardly got to clear any of it before I got shunted to the login screen. My next best map is two tiers down.

I really hope these connectivity issues get sorted soon. At last we should have a workaround that preserves access to the map. The map system takes too much investment to expect players to look over having their effort wasted for nothing.
Quod efficax non stultum

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info