Sony servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

FAQ for new players

Frequently Asked Questions:

General:

Q: I don't have enough wisdom / portal scrolls :(
A: It is setup that was so that players have to choose which items to identify and sell. Stick to identifying only items you might want to wear, yellow items as well as small items like jewelery and belts. This way you'll have more scrolls than you would know what to do with.

Q: Where do I get more wisdom scrolls?
A: You can find random scrolls as drops or sell 5 white items to a vendor. If you are running low on scrolls see above question.

Q: How do I trade?
A: There is currently no trade system implemented. You have to join a party with another player and drop an item on the ground outside of main encampment. People are unlikely to scam you due to risk of having a bad reputation.

Q: How do I join a party?
A: You can invite people by typing "/invite playername" in the chat window. If you are invited press S to open social window and click accept.

Q: How do I change flasks?
A: You can change flasks by opening your inventory window (button I) and changing them on the slots below your belt. You cannot change flasks on the slots on the bottom of your play screen.

Skills:
Q: How do I use skills / spells?
A: Put skill gems in the equipment sockets. You may assign those skills to mouse buttons or Q W E R T buttons on your keyboard by clicking on the skill slots next to your mana bar.

Q: How do I remove a gem?
A: Right-click on it.

Q: How do I level skills?
A: When skills get enough experience points, open inventory and click on the + sign next to gem icon.

Q: What are linked sockets for?
A: You can put support gems in sockets to improve a skill gem linked to that socket.

Q: Do I have to put support gems right next to gem I want to improve?
A: No. Supports affect skills no matter how many sockets are in-between the two. Moreover every support gem in chain affects every skill gem in chain.

Q: Do multiple same name supports stack in same chain?
A: No, only highest level support has effect.

Q: Where are the support gems?
A: Support gems start dropping around character level 20 and could be received as quest rewards starting with Act 2.

Act 1:

Q: Where do I find Medicine Chest?
A: In Terraces follow the coast on the right side until you see a shipwreck in the water, cross the shipwreck to get to Tidal Island. Chest is a drop from the unique enemy on that island.

Act 2:
Q: Where is Oak?
A: Oak is in the Pools and Streams area past the Cathedral of Bones area

Q: How do I get inside the Cathedral of Bones.
A: You need Baleful Gem from Chamber of Sins and Wicked Spear from The Weaver's Chambers. Talk to everyone in Forest Incampment and find exit to Cathedral in river crossings.

Other Resources:

New Player Guide

Quest Guide
Game Map
Last edited by Letamol on Jan 10, 2012, 1:54:35 PM
Nice work. Some suggestions:

"
Q: I don't have enough wisdom / portal scrolls :(
A: It is setup that was so that players have to choose which items to identify and sell. Stick to identifying only items you might want to wear, yellow items as well as small items like jewelery and belts.
I would mention that you eventually build up a stock of scrolls following this method, just so they know it is not always this way.

"
Q: How do I trade?
A: There is currently no trade system implemented. You have to join a party with another player and drop an item on the ground outside of main encampment. People don't scam you due to risk of having a bad reputation.
I am torn whether a disclaimer that any trading at present is open to scamming should be made. On the one hand, it warns people of the possibility (rare as it may be), while on the other hand it may legitimize the practice to would-be scammers (e.g. "Don't blame me; it says so right in the n00b FAQ that trading is risky.").

"
Q: How do I join a party?
A: You can invite people by typing "/invite playername" in the chat window. If you are invited press S and click accept.
Mention that pressing S opens the Social Window.

"
Q: How do I use skills / spells?
A: Put skill gems in the equipment sockets.
Mention that skills automatically assign to the right mouse button, middle mouse button, and then QWERT as you add skills and how these can be changed.

This confused me with my first character as I was familiar with the socketing mechanic from previous games but had no clue how to actually use the skill.

"
Q: How do I level skills?
A: When skills get enough experience points, open inventory and click on the + sign next to gem icon.
Mention that the gem icon will be along the bottom of the inventory window. I have seen people confused because they are looking at the socketed gems and not seeing a +.

"
Q: Do I have to put support gems right next to gem I want to improve?
A: No. Supports affect skills no matter how many sockets are in-between the two. Moreover every support gem in chain affects every skill gem in chain.
Mention "linked sockets" so anyone skipping right to this question knows links are important.
You may also want to add when/where you get support gems from. When I started playing I heard a lot of talk about support gems but didn't have any until I hit Act2 and go them as a Quest Reward:

-> "Support Gems - don't worry they WILL come"
Also

"You can't change your flasks directly on your toolbar...you need to open your inventory page and drag them in there"

Stumped me for a while when I started, ha. I think it's because the first few flasks automatically get equipped so never thought about it.
Thanks guys, all feedback is good and is incorporated into the FAQ except for removing part about people scamming you. I included that part to sneakily warn new players not to try to scam other players :) And I don't think any potential scammers would use a weak excuse such as "but you have been warned in New Players' FAQ"

Also, how do you display clickable text instead of full URL on the bottom of the post?
"
Letamol wrote:
Also, how do you display clickable text instead of full URL on the bottom of the post?

[*url="link"] text [/url]
Forum Sheriff
That * got me confused. Figured it out though. Thanks.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info