[2.2] Budget Super Tanky Mjölner || Fast Clearspeed || No Voll's || Hierophant MoM + EB + GR

This is my guide for my powerful non-volls, non-legacy mjolner budget build. If you're new to mjolner builds, please read the following section, otherwise please skip to the main build.

Full write up of how Mjolner builds function
Spoiler

To reference items, see my gear section...

Mjolner has the unique ability to cast any socketed lightning spells on hit. Mjolner builds are comparable to CoC builds in that the spell damage provided by the excessive casts are their main source of dps. This means our amount of casts per second is directly related to the amount of hits per second of any skill we use. Our main source of damage in this build is Spell damage, NOT melee attack damage. Our main melee skill is only used to proc mjolner's '30% chance to cast'.

Since hits per second is of the highest importance, Enter Lightning Strike or Molten Strike. These two melee skills have the 'projectile' tag which allows them to be supported by Greater Multiple Projectiles, Faster attacks, and Multistrike. These three support gems will allow us to attack with Molten or Lightning strike as fast as possible providing us with the most hit registers per second. We can disregard any physical damage we deal as it is trivial when compared to the spell damage from socketed spells in mjolner.

The two common lightning spells socketed in mjolner are Discharge and Arc. this opens up one free socket, some people run Life leech, but i prefer more damage so i take controlled destruction.

Discharge deals damage proportional to the amount of active charges a player has. This means more active charges, more raw damage. So how do we generate all these charges? The ring Romira's Banquet in combination with the keystone node Resolute Technique. Romira's grants us a power charge on non-crit hit and Resolute technique prevents us from critting while giving us our hits can never miss.

Now the cycle begins. Attack with molten stirke -> hit 6 times -> generate 6 power charges -> each hit has a 30% chance to cast discharge and arc.

Main Build

The Hierophant ascendancy class provides us with Three build enabling nodes...
https://www.pathofexile.com/ascendancy/classes/Hierophant

Conviction of Power
The powerhouse of this build is clearly this node. We are already generating power charges on hit with Romira's + Resolute technique so this gives us a 25% chance to generate an endurance charge on hit essentially.

Divine Guidance
Provides us with 100 flat mana and '10% of damage taken from mana before life'. Since this build takes the Mind over Matter keystone, this adds to the damage mitigation (40% damage taken from es before life).

Sanctuary of Thought
15% of mana is added as flat energy shield. This node is great because we have a ton of mana, but it's all reserved to auras. This node gives us 15% of that reserved mana back as flat energy shield which is scaled up by our tree.

With these three nodes and the addition of the notable Mind over Matter + Eldrich Battery + Ghost Reaver, we have a highly effective form of damage mitigation. We also enjoy access to free endurance charge generation that can be consumed by immortal call or discharge.

Stats
Spoiler

4.5k+ life.

Energy shield absorbs 40% of incoming damage before life and we have ~2k+ Es.

Ghost reaver applies our life leech to our ES keeping us capped off.

High life regeneration + life gained from kingsguard keeps us at full health.

Only a 4L is required, but if you have a 5L you get fortify. With a 6L you get Life gain on Hit.

6 Power Charges + 5 Endurance Charges from the tree and no bandits.
You could get 7 power charges if you choose to side with alira.

It's difficult to accurately show the dps of this build. I'd suggest you watch the video below to get a good idea of how quickly this build clears.

Auras are Discipline - Arctic Armour - Blasphemy (Warlord's Mark)

My Gear
Spoiler

My gear is obviously not optimized. BiS choices for boots would be ES based with life/resi/movespeed, ring would be life/resis/attack speed, Shiled would be ES based life/resi/spell damage.

Gear/Gems Explained
Spoiler

Mjolner w/ Controlled Destruction - Since we are discharging both power charges and endurance charges, we are dealing lightning and fire damage. A lightning penetration gem would only benefit half of the discharges, so i elected to take controlled destruction for the 'more' spell damage multiplier. Some people run Life leech instead, but since we have Warlord's Mark on blasphemy, this is no longer needed.

Kingsguard - Best in slot Chest. Since we are constantly discharging 3-5 endurance charges on average, this chest instantly grants us 300-500 life with each discharge.

Only a 4L is required for this build. Below are gems listed in order of importance.

Molten strike + Multistrike + GMP + Faster attacks + Fortify(5L) + Life gain on Hit(6L)

Repentance - Insane gloves that provide us with global Iron Will. This is applied to our discharge and arc spells. Since our strength is so high, this is equivalent to giving us 300% increased spell damage.

Devoto's Devotion - Attack speed, move speed, high dex and chaos resistance with virtually no downside.

Astramentis - Best way to boost stats so we can use mjolner and repentance. Alternatively, we can take Atziri's Foible to reduce the requirements of both items.

Leveling and Bandits
Spoiler

For leveling this build, i would run a non-crit arc setup until level 70 which is when we can transition to mjolner and kingsguard.

Leveling Trees as per popular request
Spoiler

20 point tree

40 point tree

60 point tree

80 point tree (regret out quick recovery 3 points)

100 point tree(this is when we get access to mjolner & kingsguard)

108 completed tree

Optimal bandit choice would be:
Life / Attack Speed / Power charge
But these are not mandatory.

Current level 81 Tree

Planned Tree

Videos
Spoiler

Tier 10 Bazaar Run (Sorry for poor quality)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI1R-aKad6s&feature=youtu.be
IGN: Standard League - Dark_Captain
Last edited by lDantonl on Mar 29, 2016, 1:13:15 PM
Last bumped on Oct 18, 2016, 9:06:41 AM
Reserved
Added Planned tree section
Major revision - Added Ghost Reaver

This allows us to sustain our energy shield from life leeched from warlord's mark.

Life leech is not needed on life due to high % life regen + instant 500 life granted from kingsguard every time we discharge.

This also allows us to remove blood magic from our 5L and replace it with Fortify, making us even tankier.
Last edited by lDantonl on Mar 23, 2016, 8:21:15 AM
Added a section for new players not familiar with mjolner build mechanics
what do you recommend for leveling up this build?
"
Terrisman wrote:
what do you recommend for leveling up this build?

A generic non-crit spell caster setup for Arc would be ideal. Then transition to mjolner and kingsguard at level 70.
Last edited by lDantonl on Mar 23, 2016, 3:02:56 PM
it looks fun. I will give it a go. What about bandits? I am thinking +40 HP - Passive - Power charge, but maybe the attack speed is better than the skill point.
"
Terrisman wrote:
it looks fun. I will give it a go. What about bandits? I am thinking +40 HP - Passive - Power charge, but maybe the attack speed is better than the skill point.

Yes, the life, power charge and attack speed would be the optimal choice.

Mine is an old build so i've forgotten which bandits i chose, so it's not a huge deal.
need to try to record videos for the video section.
Last edited by lDantonl on Mar 24, 2016, 12:35:09 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info