[2.2 Perandus] Tanky Max Block Varunastra Earthquake Gladiator - Atziri Down

This is a build guide for my max block, Aegis Aurora, Varunastra, Earthquake Gladiator. This build moderately expensive so probably not for beginners. This is my first build guide so bear with me while I try and make it readable :D

The Build
Basically, I wanted a character who could clear as much content as possible with cheap gear. Varunastra and Aegis Aurora are affordable for someone who plays a moderate amount so I figured they would be a good starting point for a mix of tanky stats and damage potential. In the end I'm sitting at around 17k Earthquake damage with tanky stats and defensive options. This is with a low rolled Varunastra.

Varunastra has the property "Counts as all one handed melee weapon types". This means we can use any weapon skill and scale damage from any one handed weapon passive. There are a few exceptional nodes within reach of the Duelist starting area including:
Deadly Dilletante: 24% increased Physical Damage with Claws, Daggers and Swords
By the Blade: 24% increased Physical Damage with Axes and Swords
These notables along with the passives required to reach them are extremely powerful double and triple dip passives that inflate our dps beyond what it would normally be.
Level 90 Tree

Leveling

I leveled as two-handed Mace Sunder until I picked up Earthquake after killing Gravicius around level 28. I then continued to level as 2hander until level 64 when I equipped Varunastra. I prepped my char before 64 by picking up the weapon damage notables.
39 Point Tree with Resolute Technique
61 Point Tree with mace nodes
83 Point Tree with double and triple dip weapon damage passives
Current level 85 build

Videos
I would have done a few videos but with the performance issues I've been having this patch, recording has been a bit of an issue. As it stands I currently have a laggy Orchard map video below if you want to see the build in action. I also have killed Atziri with this build and will need to get a kill video up and running when I sort my FPS lag out.
Twin Boss - 70% extra damage as lightning Orchard Map

Ascendancy
We go Gladiator with the following passives:
Gratuitous Violence, Painforged and Versatile Combatant.

Current Gear

Links
5link chest - Earthquake, Melee Physical Damage, Added Fire Damage, Less Duration, Weapon Elemental Damage.
Once I get a six link I'll take out Weapon Elemental Damage and add Concentrated Effect and Increased Area of Effect

4l - Whirling Blades, Faster Attacks, Fortify, Blood Magic
4l - Cast When Damage Taken lvl 1, Tempest Shield lvl 6, Curse on Hit, Vulnerability
4l - Cast When Damage Taken lvl 14, Summon Stone golem lvl 16, Arctic Breath lvl 16, Greater Multiple Projectiles
3l - Reckoning, Melee Physical Damage, Endurance Charge on Melee Stun

Unlinked - Herald of Ash, Leap Slam, Determination.

We use Whirling Blades to move around normally and Leap Slam to get over obstacles. We can use both since Varunastra counts as all one handed melee weapon types.

Bandits
A1:Oak
A2: Kill all
A3: Kill all or Oak (depends if you want more endurance charges or the point)

BUILD GUIDE IN PROGRESS
Last edited by horribad54 on Apr 2, 2016, 9:02:04 PM
Last bumped on Apr 15, 2016, 11:01:22 AM
reserved
any constructive criticism or tips would be appreciated
What bandits are you taking for each difficulty, and would you change anything about this build for HC?

Edit: Would you consider taking a Bringer of Rain, and if so, what would change?
Last edited by RegulusNorth on Mar 22, 2016, 4:28:20 AM
I've been working on a similar build. I've opted to go with Bringer of Rain and focus on stun, knock(toward), and bleed. The plan is to pull enemies in with stunning/splashing Empire's Grasp Heavy Strikes and let loose multistrike Vaal Ground Slams. I use Blood Magic keystone and an Essence Worm for Hatred currently; I could see this potentially changing in the late game. I've opted to lean on the shield defense nodes we get anyway rather than go with Aegis; my ideal shield actually is a hybrid defense one that has 1000+ armor and 1000+ evasion with a high block roll and resists. This gets the most out of the shield defense nodes.

I just hit lvl 67 for BoR and have been using Glacial Hammer splash until I get all the pieces together. You can see my current setup at IGN Legendary_Swordsman here:
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/SirDragos/characters

Doomed for Life
"
RegulusNorth wrote:
What bandits are you taking for each difficulty, and would you change anything about this build for HC?

Edit: Would you consider taking a Bringer of Rain, and if so, what would change?

Added bandits now. I personally took Oak/Kill/Kill because I wasn't that concerned about the endurance charge but you can kill Oak in A3 if you want another charge.

As for BoR, I've never used it and so don't have any experience with all it's nuances. There is a build for BoR by another guy if you are interested in that route. It seems to follow the same principles that my build does. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1619894

"
SirDragos wrote:
I've been working on a similar build. I've opted to go with Bringer of Rain and focus on stun, knock(toward), and bleed. The plan is to pull enemies in with stunning/splashing Empire's Grasp Heavy Strikes and let loose multistrike Vaal Ground Slams

This seems like a great idea and lot more technically advanced than my build, something I'd be interested to test out in the future. Also the Slashing comback tree you provided looks like it would provide a little bit more dps but less defense. And the templar area tree does look slightly better but I do feel that Sanctuary is less efficient than the Ranger block nodes. This is something I'd have to test to make sure and I don't have the regrets right now after spending a bunch of exalts finishing my challenges up to 36 to get the portal lol. Nice tips, regardless.
Last edited by horribad54 on Apr 2, 2016, 9:12:38 PM
CWDT doesnt work with curse on hit (links on your boots)
"
protvino wrote:
CWDT doesnt work with curse on hit (links on your boots)

You're right, it doesn't. It does, however, work with Tempest Shield which is what triggers Curse on Hit!
whem u link CWDT with curse on hit, works only CWDT with tempest shield, but curse on hit doesnt work. I verifying it yesterday.
"
protvino wrote:
whem u link CWDT with curse on hit, works only CWDT with tempest shield, but curse on hit doesnt work. I verifying it yesterday.

It works. Your Tempest Shield needs to be a lower level than your CWDT like with all spells you want to trigger with CWDT. The Curse on Hit and the curse can be any level.

Just made a quick video showing the interaction (might not be processed yet): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQLUNKTp0mE&feature=youtu.be

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info