Why do players' and monsters' attributes progress on different scales?

I didn't understand this in diablo 2 either.

When you start a level 1 character the rates seems quite okey but as you progress soon you are able to one shot your HP anytiime and later your damage is 3-4..5-6-8 times as much as your own HP while the monstes have insane life pool and utter crap damage (compared to your damage or their HP).

Why does it have to be that way?

Why dont we get some decent HP boost each level? Then monsters damage could be somewhat in pair with their hp pool.

just asking...

It is much easier for humans to calculate numbers in the tens or hundreds than higher.

500 hp vs 800 hp is pretty clear cut. 26000 hp vs 34000 hp - how much is the difference really? You have to calculate it.

Both damage and health end up in this range, so you can one shot yourself.

Also, damage inevitably scales faster due to crits, dmg% and flat damage on top of a better weapon while health just scales with level and items.
Median XL 2012 | Diablo 2 mod
Adun Tori Laz.
"
BrotherLaz wrote:
It is much easier for humans to calculate numbers in the tens or hundreds than higher.

500 hp vs 800 hp is pretty clear cut. 26000 hp vs 34000 hp - how much is the difference really? You have to calculate it.

Both damage and health end up in this range, so you can one shot yourself.

Also, damage inevitably scales faster due to crits, dmg% and flat damage on top of a better weapon while health just scales with level and items.

No offense, but what you are saying is absolute nonsense. "Humans" count on different scales on daily basis, just think about currencies, and "26000" and "34000" are not at all astronomical, maybe for a 1. grader.

In WoW people have like 200 000 HP these days, and it works... What Im saying is not about magnitude, but about rate, we have way too much damage compared to our life pool and monsters have way too much hp compared ot their damage. The number of zeros is not the issue here.
"
szesan wrote:
In WoW people have like 200 000 HP these days, and it works...

...because you tune out the last three numbers. Also, that amount of hp is just stupid.
Median XL 2012 | Diablo 2 mod
Adun Tori Laz.
I'd like to point out that % life leech and % damage reflection gets more viable / more dangerous if your dps is way higher than your life.

Not sure which side this supports, though.
Unofficial Offline Skilltree Tool by Headhorr and me:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/19723

kenzen naru tamashii wa,
kenzen naru seishin to,
kenzen naru nikutai ni yadoru.
@OP

it doesn't have to scale like it does. i think they just do it that way because that's what they're used to seeing in games, themselves.
My main concern regarding this is the implementation of pvp.

If it stays as it is the one who shoots first will win all the time.
"
szesan wrote:

the pvp mechanics will be totally differnt from what i understand...in those leagues the human players will be scaled differently so everyone is not one shotting eachother.

as for the OP, not sure what the question/issue is so no comment there.
~SotW HC Guild~

"
scorpitron wrote:
"
szesan wrote:

the pvp mechanics will be totally differnt from what i understand...in those leagues the human players will be scaled differently so everyone is not one shotting eachother.

as for the OP, not sure what the question/issue is so no comment there.

They shouldn't implement a completely different mechanic for pvp if HP would scale properly with damage.
Hi, i think that's because the gameplay, we've to fight versus a large number of monsters while we are just one, those of us who don't form up a raiding party with other players; if a monster had the same life than us... the fight versus that single monster will last longer than actualy, but as that monster will come with it's fellas... the fight will not last more than 10secs if they all deal the same amount of damage than we do. I think that's because the gameplay. Let's C ya
Punk's Not Dead = Semper Fi.
Last edited by Wipman on Jan 5, 2012, 1:39:36 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info