[2.5] Culler-Support-Tank - Full MF | +12k ES | 7 Auras + Animate guardian

Classes: Templar, Witch, Duelist, Scion
Tags: Endgame. Culler. Support. Tank. CAN'T SOLO. Farmer. low life. Blood Magic. Dual totem.

DO NOT START THIS BUILD IF YOU ARE 100% NEW TO POE

Future of this guide
The contents of this guide are valid for patch 2.5. I'm slowly losing interest in the game, so I will no longer update any of my guides. If you are really interested, you can post your questions/suggestions here, there is a chance me or someone else reads it (But no PM please!).

Choosing your ascendancy
Spoiler
Instead of a lot of details about numbers that very few people cared about, I decided this time I would go with something more user-friendly, and rate each class according to different categories. Note that the "best" version isn't necessarily the one who scores the most in total.
Some numerical explanations are shown in the 3rd post from this thread.

Main categories are
- Culling. How reliable are your culls. Note that the "reference party" I use to rate culling has a high/very high clear speed. If your party is made of snails, culling score is irrelevant, as all versions will score max. The opposite is also true: if the party is so fast that you cannot keep up with their movement skills, you won't be able to cull, doesn't matter what you play.
- Defenses. How much damage you can take without dying.
- Support. How many buffs can you bring to the party, and how strong are they.
- Transition. How early you can reallocate your points to play a "semi final" version of the build (when you get all aura and culling buffs). Note than this isn't related to being easier to level, or requiring less regrets.

Guardian is the overall strongest class.
Occultist is a bit more tanky, at the cost of some supporting abilities.
Slayer is in a whole new level for cullers, but has to make huge sacrifices to take that spot.
The other subclasses are there mostly for comparison purposes, but all of them are "playable".

Ascendancy trees

This is only for the ascendancy trees. The "normal trees" are below.
Guardian http://poeplanner.com/AAIAACBBQUlGQXdBQUNMZG83N3lTSzZVWVRsTDlBQjJaeExRPQAQQUFBQ0FBZlFBUUgwQVFBQQAA Get unwavering faith first.

Hierophant http://poeplanner.com/AAIAABRBQUlGQWdBQUJHaGFCRkU2Rm9hQwAQQUFBQ0FBZlFBUUgwQVFBQQAA
Also, skip ancestral bond in your passive tree

Ascendant http://poeplanner.com/AAIAACRBQUlBQVFBQUNsZ1hvajQ4UzNqSDRxMEoyY3BHOHRMZGtpZHoAEEFBQUNBQWZRQVFIMEFRQUEAAA== Occultist instead of necromancer is also viable.

Slayer http://poeplanner.com/AAIAABBBQUlFQVFBQUFxVTFESEE9ABBBQUFDQUFmUUFRSDBBUUFBAAA=

Occultist http://poeplanner.com/AAIAACBBQUlEQVFBQUNMdjhGWDdHOTM2aGZQQWFTSkVIUW5vPQAQQUFBQ0FBZlFBUUgwQVFBQQAA You can make your own variation with curses or forbidden power + conduit, but I don't recommend it.

Necromancer http://poeplanner.com/AAIAABRBQUlEQXdBQUJCVW5qTEdiaXI1UAAQQUFBQ0FBZlFBUUgwQVFBQQAA

Build concept
Descriptive explanation
Spoiler
This build has 2 goals: Culling and supporting.

Culling is the way to go if you want to get rich, but don't want to play pathoftrade. Also, for some reason there aren't many cullers out there, and every good party needs 1 culler.

Supporting in a 6 man endgame party is very apreciated. Previous iterations of the build focused on giving party extra dps, now that auras have been nerfed we have to focus on defensive auras. Why defensive auras? Because endgame content hasn't gained much hp, so dps isn't a issue. But they hit hard, so triple purities + discipline + vitality +grace are the best auras you can use for safe leveling. Again, for some reason there isn't much aurabots there, and every good party benefits greatly from 1.

Last goal of the build is to be as tanky as posible: a dead culler is a bad culler. Also, the build uses totems to cull, so you don't need to facetank anything and can stand at range.

Quantitative explanation
Spoiler
Culls
180 IIQ and 391 IIR(with my standard gear).
Culling spell is flame totem. 2 totems x 7 projectiles, 10 cast per second and 69% projectile speed

Party Buffs
+14% increased movement speed (lvl 20 haste)
+28% attack and cast speed (lvl 20 haste)
+7% maximum fire, cold and lightning res (lvl 20 purity of fire, ice and lightning). If empowering purities, +8 maxres,+76 res.
+73% to fire, cold and lightning res (lvl 20 purity of fire, ice and lightning)
+4609 base evasion, multiplied by increased evasion modifiers (lvl 20 grace)
+687 base energy shield, multiplied by increased energy shield modifiers (lvl 26 discipline)
+2.95% of hp regenerated each second (lvl 20 vitality)
+18% increased curse effect (dying breath from animated guardian)
+33% increased damage (leer cast + dying breath from animated guardian)
+8% physical damage reduction (guardian ascendancy)
+1.6% hp regen (guardian ascendancy)
+3000 base armor (at lvl ~90)

Tankyness (A bit outdated, it's from 2.1, prior to ascendancy patch powercreep)
32% increased flask effect duration, 30% increased flask effect. <-- Do not overlook this, with high clearspeed is insane.
5% physical damage reduction (39% with rumi's flask)
6150 evasion
12.607 energy shield
408 energy shield regenerated per second
81% fire and cold res
82% light res
-60% chaos res
31% chance to block (75 with rumi's)
0% chance to block spells (26 with rumi's)
2105 life, 35% stun recovery
23% movement modifier

Tips about running lab
Spoiler
Small tips to deal with traps for people with high ping

1-Regen. Vitality aura
2-Mobility. Haste aura, mobility skills (flame dash, whirling blades, lightning warp).
3-Phys mitigation. Armor, flask, chaos golem.

Lab is also easier to run if you haven't gone blood magic yet. First because your overall ES will be higher, second because you can cast movement skills freely without having to worry about flask.

Tree + Bandits
Spoiler

No levelling tree. Use your own leveling path, pick the dps passives you consider necessary and use a few refunds to transition to the build when you think you are ready.

Below I show some core trees that let you achieve certain breakpoints in the build, with the minimum point investment. Bear in mind that, depending on your gear, you might want to take some energy shield nodes before finishing any of the core trees.

Templar trees. Witch tree at the end.

Pre-shavs core trees
It has double totem and maximum supporting capabilities pre-shavs.
A basic skeleton tree.
http://tinyurl.com/hy76tc5

Core tree (minimum lvl 65)
http://tinyurl.com/za9lxt6

Also getting bloodmagic and the aura nodes nearby.
You can transition to this when you purchase a shavs (or solaris lorica if you are happy enough with your es pool).

Endgame tree
http://www.poeplanner.com/AAIAAVRBQUlGQXdBQWZPb1lweXZ2VGgycV9rbmhpTU02al9xRzBTY0xnN2FFU0FGdlhHdkRiWXQ2NHZjTmZGeUtXaXNxRTZQeVdPV1FWZXE2dHpHTWRwNDhtczl4VFVOamhtQU9YRVYtYXZyWHpfazM3NGhKc1RiRjJDUWFiSjJ1eWtwdm51UWlLVThFQng4Q3RBeEdjUzBmR29fMjJ2c0pROGozTWhtS3B3amZ2X2pyT2xLRENRNDhUd1NFeFp1MVg3RFpFM0M3TDItLWlzclRvUzhSVURXNUhVOU1zMHV1R3lYWlctRERKYnpiVDNLcDZRSmhVdXdZbFM1SlVmRFZCeDVvOGhSeFZkYUFwR1RuRnk4a3NKTW5mOFp0R2ZyU1pwN0J4ZmZCdFFSRlI4Qm1CTE9pQVBBZkdqaFo4M0lQcktvaTlHd0x0Mmp2dktVWWtpdE9VdjBBAAhBQUFBQVFBQQAA
Same as core tree, but with more defenses and flask nodes

Witch tree
Use the templar endgame tree, but skip the templar starting points. Use the free points on the es wheel and/or jewels.

Kill all bandits. You can choose all res in normal (depending on your gear) and +1 end. charge (if you have a closed group that consistently generates charges)

Defensive/Offensive stats
Spoiler

This is a bit outdated, belongs to patch 2.1 Now stats are better
Culling spell

Defense with flasks (7s duration)

Defense without flasks

Gem setup
Spoiler
Armour (culling spell)
Spoiler

Gems are in order of priority. I've listed 7 gems because new leagues don't have IIQ gem. But in fact 6th and 7th gems are "optional" and don't add too much to the effectiveness of the build, unless the party is really fast. Yes, this means in a new league you can go around with a 4L.

1. Flame totem 2. Increased item quantity 3.Increased item rarity 4. Greater multiple projectiles 5. Faster projectiles 6. Faster casting 7. Whatever you please (blind, lesser multiple projectiles, etc.)

Auras
Spoiler

You don't even need enlightens to run all auras! But having them is a quality of life improvement, because it helps to cast totems and managing distillate.
Math here https://poe.mikelat.com/#iCpT8ag/GrVLzDab/k3bpJ/_A2dtmd

If you use the exact same setup than me, these auras use your boots, shield and gloves. If it's a new league and you don't have enlightens/empower yet, you have an additional 4L to use for extra utilities.

Utilities
Spoiler

Animate guardian
Spoiler
DO NOT ATTEMP THIS IF YOUR GEMS AREN'T MAX LEVEL I know guardian survives with my gems and setup. If you don't have it, you can still do it, but you have to watch out his hp bar, and be ready to replace gear if he dies.

Why use animate guardian?
The benefits of animate guardian setup are 33% increased damage and 18% effect of curses for all party members.

Gem setup(4L)
Animate guardian, summon chaos golem, empower (lvl 2+), minion life. If you don't have empower lvl 2+, use fortify.

Items
Required items
Leer cast (helmet), dying breath (weapon)

Recommended items
These items impove the guardian's tankyness, so the odds of having to replace him are greatly reduced)
Atziri's step, Kaom's roots (boots), Southbound (gloves), Ambu's charge, Hyrri's Ire, Belly of the Beast (armor).

Scary bosses
Academy, crematorium, coliseum, core, whole labyrinth area.
Against these bosses you might want to unsummon the animate guardian (remove the gem) before fighting, or disengage during the fight to give guardian time to heal.

Curses
Spoiler
I use zero curses.

Reasoning
Curses provide a very powerful effect in exchange for the investment put into them. The problem lies when you are in a party, and everyone thinks the same way. Do you see where I am going? Curses overwrite each other, and some builds are heavily dependant on their curses not being overwritten (usually assassin's and warlord's mark, but there are others). I think if you are not able to, at the very least, tri-curse, you better let everyone to bring the curses they need. And going tri-curse requires too much investment, that's better used elsewhere.

Other utilities
Spoiler
If you are following my exact setup, you will have exactly an unused free 3S. My possibilities are restricted because I have a mirrored shield with GRR.

The best would be
vaal haste + increased duration (2L) + mobility spell (1L) (whirling blades, flame dash). Notable mention to vaal discipline. If you are a guardian, you can include your warcry in the 3L, or put it in your armor.

If you can't/want to use my exact setup, feel free to experiment (curses, vaal discipline, vaal grace, cwdt setups, enduring cry, ice spear + power charge on crit + conduit, etc.

Gear Short version: wear shavs and stack as much MF as possible.
Spoiler
My gear
Spoiler
Ignore the gems from here

IIQ vs IIR
Spoiler
GGG haven't released how exactly MF works, but there are some guesses, the one I trust the most is here. https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/2xn0xq/analysis_on_the_effectiveness_of_increased_item/

The basics are that, ideally, you would want both, on the same amount. But IIR is far easier to obtain and you will always have more IIR than IIQ. IIQ becoming legacy makes things even worse.

Only for standard players
Spoiler
I swapped my gear to focus much more on IIQ than I did before. The reasons are the following ones:

1. Economy changes. Before, top tier uniques were worth 50+ ex, and there were plenty of good uniques at 1-4ex price range. Now those top tier uniques are less than 30 ex, and those good uniques are less than 3 chaos. On the opposite, there are divination cards and orbs are more valuable now thanks to latest changes.

2. Some maps have base IIR.

3. Items filters. It's the best addition to the game by far. No more screen cluttering! If you have a regular party, share your filter with them, they'll need it :)

Gearing indications
Spoiler
For new leagues get all iiq uniques!
Armor Must have

Boots Very cheap to get and very useful
Spoiler
For permanent leagues http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Wondertrap
For temporal leagues http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Goldwyrm (get top iiq roll).
In new legues iiq is very hard to get, so it is worth sacrificing 100iir to get 20iiq.

Weapon
Spoiler
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Heartbreaker
Cheap and sexy. Rolls aren't important at all.

Alternative: Corrupted ephemeral edge with culling strike implicit.
This will give you A LOT of energy shield at the expense of some life. So you become a bit weaker to stun and status alignments, and have slightly less life unreserved. The price is also higher.

Gloves, helmet, rings and amulet
Get the best you can, here are my priorities:
Spoiler
1- Increased item quantity. This is a legacy mod that can no longer spawn (only previously dropped items keep it). Top roll is 20 IIQ
2- Increased item rarity. There is a prefix and a suffix for iir. Both combined have a top roll of 50 IIR. Be sure your rings have gold base (up to +15IIR) and your amulets have gold base aswell up to +20 IIR.
3- Energy shield.
4- More energy shield
5a- Str/dex. Only if being low lvl. At high lvl you get all gems requirement with just transition points in the tree (and jewels).
5b- Resistances. Only if not capped with the triple purity auras. There is little benefit on overcapping, since you can always replace one of the utility sockets for purity of elements in ele weakness maps.
6- Evasion / armour
7- Life (more unreserved hp pool)

Shield
Spoiler

I recommend a high ES shield (400+). You can run prism guardian, but you'll lose around 2k ES endgame, and you'll be able to fit only 1 extra aura

Helmet to alphas or not to alphas?
Spoiler
Guide tittle is 100% culler 85% support so you have your answer there. Still alpha's is a decent alternative if you want to assume a more passive playstile (again look at auras calculations for more details). Don't ignore the +2 to aura gems, and the cannot be frozen mod!

Jewels
Spoiler
Tier 1. Must have
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Energy_From_Within
Put it near the passive called Melding

Tier 2. Recommended
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Conqueror's_Efficiency
This is NOT needed at all, but it's a good quality of life improvement. I gained 100 unreserved hp, which makes casting spells and keeping flask up an easier task.

Tier 3. Rare jewels
All of them must have 8% increased maximum energy shield.
Then if you need str/dex/resistances, I recommend getting them from jewels.
After that there is a bunch of luxury mods which are IIR, int, energy shield recharge and cast speed. Just buy whatever you find that suits you, this build is not jewel dependant at all (the total price of all my jewels is less than 20c).

Tier 4. Optional
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Rain_of_Splinters
The reason I'm putting this into optional whereas some other cullers put it on essential is because I don't think it's necessary. I'll go as far as saying it's subpar.

My totems fire 7 projectiles and already covers a huge area, we don't really need more. I just tested with a friend on pvp, and the extra angle is barely noticeable.

The only situation in which more projectiles are useful is when there is a lot of trash mobs, and chances are that those aren't culled anyway. So, my opinion is that they are useful, but rare jewels are better.

Loot screenshots
Spoiler
I don't think I can record videos, but I can take some screenshots of loot.
As I said in the previous section, I decided to go all in in IIQ. Those screenshots were taken with 205IIQ + 283IIR.

Flask
Spoiler
Must have

3. Any flask with remove bleeding

Recommended

2. Any flask with remove frozen, remove poison

Really interesting
(this is a legacy one, but new ones are also good)
Combine them with conduit passive to sustain charges to your group.

Distillate usage
Spoiler

IMPORTANT
First of all, do NOT quality your distillate, 0Q is better. Higher quality increases the hp/mana recovered per second, so it becomes harder to keep flask up (when you are full hp and mana, flask effect is finished).

About culling gameplay
There are two things which I consider important:

1. Clearspeed > culls.
2. Quality of life > culls

Which basically means you shouldn't get obsessed trying to cull every single monster with distillate up.
Of course, not everyone shares my vision, but I would say this is more true the more you progress. When you have little to no gear you play very focused, trying to get the max out of it. But when you are pretty well geared and next gear upgrade takes dozens of hours, you tend to a more "disconnected" playstyle.

When I play I perma-spam a 70% movement speed quicksilver and usually walk up a bit ahead of my party, so I find a good place to cast totems in advance (at the side of packs, maximizing AoE and avoiding corners/terrain). I'm not very concerned about keeping the flask buff up on trash, only on bosses, exiles and the occasional high hp rare. I do that because of my lazyness, but also because the clearspeed of the people I play forces me to.

In a not-so-op party, you should do more or less the same. Except you probably will "down the cut" (I'm not a native speaker, so I don't know if that's correct). Basically you probably will want to keep your hp down on yellows and blues too. And you won't need to run ahead of your party because you'll have plenty of time to decide where to place totems.

Emptying life for tryhards
I don't recommend it to any sane person, but you can combine distillate with http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Blood_of_the_Karui for higher accuracy on distillate buff. Cast 2 totems, wait for enemy to be low hp, use distillate and use karui.
You trade higher distillate uptime for a flask slot (maybe even 2, because you might run into hp problems if you abuse this method)

Emptying mana for lazy guys
Ideally (if you have room for utility spells) you cast one spamable spell with fast cast speed and high mana cost. If you don't have gem room for that, you have to keep recasting totems, which is not as good because it screws totem positioning a bit, and sometimes interrupt the spells of the replaced totem. Recasting totem isn't bad (it's what I do), but having a utility spell is better.

About having enough hp to cast
Right now I have 337 hp unreserved (without conqueror's efficiency), and lvl 20 FT cost 91 mana, so I have a minimum of 3 casts per flask usage. We have 32% increased flask duration so each flask last 6.6s (20 from belt, 12 from tree). Let's suppose you don't have enlightens, and can only hold 2 usages per flask.

I said a minimum of 3 casts because on those 6.6s totems are free (unless your party is really fast and you can't afford to standstill, but if that's the case you never have flask shortage problems). Because totems lasts 8s, this leaves your party with 14.6s to gain 20 flask charges. To me, that's more than enough, but if party is too slow you have different solutions:

a. Carry more than one distillate (a life flask can be a poor-man alternative).
b. Don't use zealot
c. Play the mana version
d. Be a glass cannon and run dmg auras with generosity.
e. Keep your flame totem at a lower level. <--Not recommended, because it's hard not to get full hp, losing the whole distillate effect (which in turn can increase your hp problems). Use option a. instead

Budget version

Spoiler
First and foremost, I don't recommend my build for starters, unless you have some old friends that you play with. Given the state of public parties, a group build when you don't have regulars can be very annoying. I also recommend reading all the other chapters before this one.

After this warning, let me say that this budget version isn't really a budget version, more like a way to get to endgame that I think can be good (but I don't have first hand experience with it). You could use anything else and then respec.
Also, prices are really variable, so if you see a good deal, buy it.

If you don't use http://poe.trade/, you are already taking too long :D

Step 1

Buy list.

1. Very high priority (very good value for less than 1c)
When buying IIQ Uniques, buy only the ones with max IIQ roll
Goldwyrm boots, sadima's touch gloves, perandus blazon, heartbreaker

2. High priority.
Near 50 IIR ES helmet.
IIQ gem (standard only)

3. Medium priority

High IIR amulet and rings
Divination distillate (aim for decent rolls)

Farm dried lake in public parties/friends. For trees, use the core trees as a skeleton. Use a 4L: flame totem, IIQ, IIR, GMP. For auras, run discipline and then, if no one else is running them, prioritise damage auras (hatred/wrath/anger/haste). At this level dying is not that important.

If the party is retarded (ie doesn't follow any pattern when clearing or they use some culling attack like power siphon
Spoiler
) just leave.

Keep using all the currency you get to buy upgrades. I can't help with prices here, because they are too variable, but slowly aim for legacy iiq+iir gear.

Step 2
You can keep farming dried lake forever, or jump to maps. I think that maps give less currency than lake until you have high end friends and gear. But.. it's a more diversified gameplay, and the route you must take if you want to level. You don't want to get to lvl 100 on lake, don't you? :D

Buy list
1- Shavs. No need to 6L, faster casting is only necessary on high end parties, I doubt many people has cast times lower than 0.16s.
There is always someone asking for lorica. If you feel confortable with your defenses, you can do it.

Since you also expect to level, you need some defences now. Get high energy shield, and cap resistances (you will be using 3x purities now, so capping res is easy).

After getting shavs, you can get the bloodmagic keystone to massively increase the number of auras you can use. At this point, you have pretty much the same build that me, but with less numbers.

Interesting/related builds
Culler-support build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1617230
Dedicated support build https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1702757
Last edited by dulahan200 on Feb 24, 2017, 10:12:35 PM
Last bumped on Feb 3, 2017, 7:16:42 AM
FAQ

Stuns

Spoiler
"
2L8 wrote:
Hi, your builds looks really nice and im definitely going to try it!
but i have one question: most other guides i read had some sort of stun immunity, which i dont see here. Is it so tanky that you dont need it? for example the crematorium boss, where you have a loot screenshot from. do you just stay out of the firestorm?

Stun is a problem in a lot of energy shield based builds, but at least this one has several built-in anti-stun layers.

First of all, I must say you get stunned a lot, far more than you think you do. If you want to test, just equip a cws (cast when stunned) with some spells, and see that it's proccing a ton.
A stunned dps loses damage, but getting stunned with this build isn't a big deal because you only need to cast totems. This leads to the main point: getting stunned is only a problem if you get stunned to death

The mechanics that help against stun are:

1- High tankyness
Even if you were in a situation where you would get chain stunned, you just have to survive long enough for your party to clear all the monsters (or enough monsters so you don't get chain stunned anymore). If you have messed up, press all flask instantly.

2- Evasion
Evaded attack = 0% chance to be stunned.

3- Positioning
This summarises as being a totem build. You don't have to be in the middle of the fight if you don't want to (despite you usually can do so).
This doesn't mean you need to take free damage, definitely do not stand inside firestorms, you can walk across one, but if there are several of them stacked you will die 100%. For example, what I do against said boss is stay close to my party (so they get buffs) in a safe spot (but ready to move at any time, and avoid being cornered). Keep checking the boss hp, when it's low cast 2 totems (each one in a different place). If by any reason I must leave line of sight (me or my guardian risking death) and a totem dies, replace it when you can, then run away again.

4- innate chance (50%) to avoid stun when having some es

5-"High" HP
The passive tree implicitly contains much more hp than any other low life build. Showing some numbers, assuming we do not evade any attack
A hit of 500 has a 50% chance to stun against a 1000hp char
A hit of 500 has a 25% chance to stun against a 2000hp char
A hit of 1000 has a 50% chance to stun against a 2000hp char
A 2000hp char is immune to stun with hits lower than 200hp

6- Mitigation
Most energy shield builds rely on a high ES buffer + leech to stay alive, with little to no mitigation. This one has both a high buffer but also decent mitigation (max res from purities, evasion from grace, phys from golem + radiant faith (ascendancy point).

Mitigation works the in a similar way as having high hp, turning a hit of 1000 into one of 500.

7-Stun recovery (reduces the duration of stuns)
I currently have 35% stun recovery
Last edited by dulahan200 on Apr 21, 2016, 1:49:33 AM
LIBRARY (OLD STUFF)

Ascendancy patch (2.2)
Spoiler
In patch 2.1, you decided your build, you decided your threshold for defense/offense, and then min-max it. But now we really have a choice, no class is the "absolute best" and each of them has a trade-off. Having said that, I consider guardian-templar to be the strongest among them.

Witch has the best passive tree but scion, and especially templar have better ascendancy subclasses.

Having worse tree implies:
1-Less energy shield
2-Slightly less rarity (from jewels)
3-Core tree is delayed. You will need higher level to have the same auras and culling capacities. In exchange you get other things that are either useless or not so useful for the class.

Descriptive and comprehensive overview
Spoiler

Witch, occultist http://www.pathofexile.com/ascendancy/classes/Occultist
Spoiler
Witch is the tanky class. If you want a build to reach lvl 100, occultist is your best friend.

Highlights
+Highest tankyness at any level
+Sligtly more rarity at lvl 90+
+Access to double curse if desired
-Doesn't offer anything new

Points discussion
-Wicked ward (2pts) is a no brainer
-Malediction (4pts) if you go double curse. I personally don't like double cursing in this build, but it's a ok choice (I'm too busy managing flask and keeping up with group and got no time for curses).
-Forbidden power (2pts) is interesting for the experimental route of ice spear + pcoc + conduit
-Vile bastion is underwhelming imo. If you don't want anything else, pick the %es nodes instead.

Templar, guardian http://www.pathofexile.com/ascendancy/classes/Guardian
Spoiler

Guardian is THE support class, I'm sure everyone in HC top ladder will have one guardian bitch around them. Personally, I consider it to be the strongest variant of the build.

Highlights
+Insane support potential
-Less es than scion and witch
-Templar is ugly

Points discussion
-Unwavering faith (4pts) is a no-brainer
-Harmony of purpose (2pts). Very good in random parties, INSANE in organised ones (when there are a dedicated generators, and people aren't overlapping gems such as pcoc). Just be aware that you generating charges does nothing for your party. Read thread https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1617221
-Prayer of glory (2pts). The movement speed buff is juicy, the problem is that the competition for those 2 points is very fierce
-Bastion of hope. 7% block and pseudo immunity to chain stun (chain stun = lots of small hits, lots of hits = eventually you'll block one). It's sort of ok, but honestly, if you are aiming for selfish stats, you should go witch or scion instead. Also, in a world where rumi's exist, block is a bad stat.

Templar, hierophant http://www.pathofexile.com/ascendancy/classes/Hierophant
Spoiler

Hierophant is the culling class.
When playing the build and making the guide, I have always prioritised culling over supporting, and hierophant excels at that. But guardian is so strong that it's difficult to justify picking hierophant over it. The only situation I would do so is if I had a closed group that had problems generating charges, so I were the one in charge (these puns!) of doing so.

Highlights
+Most reliable culls (but lower IIR than witch)
+in some very niche situations better support than guardian
--Less es than scion and witch
-Templar is ugly

Points discussion
-Ritual of awakening (4pts) is a no brainer. 4 totems and no downside (we don't care about damage). And 40% totem placement speed is really nice! (helps emptying mana pool a lot).
-Conviction of power (2pts). a really strong passive, combined with conduit.

Why I think that hierophant is weak

Think about what 2 extra totems bring to the table in 2 opposite situations:
-High end party (entire screen disappearing in <3s). Against anything that isn't a map boss you won't be able to place more than 2 totems. And against map bosses, culls are reliable enough with the number of cast per second of flame totems.
-Full noob party (screen disappearing in infinite time). You have plenty of time to set out totems and reposition them at will before monsters die, so you don't get that many benefit.

So, my point is that jumping from 2 totems to 4 isn't that big of a deal culling wise. Arguably, the best benefit is the totem placement speed (for the times you are late to the party as well as easier flask management) and some niche situations where you put a totem that gets blocked by terrain. In fact, if I were to go hierophant, I would probably run with 3 totems, and skip the one in passive tree.

Note
Since this is the totem class, I'm assuming that conviction of power works when your totems kill stuff. Otherwise the class makes no sense, and I don't think is worth picking over anything else just for the totems. When ascendancy cames out, please someone confirm it so I can remove this useless text here :)

Scion, ascendant http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Ascendant
Spoiler

After last minute changes in the patch, scion isn't a good class for this build, but is playable.

Also, I see potential in the champion sub-subclass (totems taunting enemies). I'm not sure they can survive much, if someone tries, I would like to hear feedback!

Quantitative summary

Spoiler
This section splits into 3 images. The first is a fast but complete overview of the three best subclasses. The second and third are detailed tags about the hypotheses and considerations that I've done to get to the conclusions in the first image.

Overview
http://imgur.com/RZlsfBD

I forgot to add that templar gets an aura of ~3k base armor thanks to radiant faith
Passive tree efficiency
http://imgur.com/u30freX

Flat es equivalent modifier
http://imgur.com/bimy936

Last edited by dulahan200 on Jun 2, 2016, 1:03:45 AM
Love the guide; currently leveling up my Templar to use it. Thank you, very well written and thorough!

I did change something that seems like an improvement, though, for anyone interested:

http://tinyurl.com/hybpjy3

In essence, you gain 5% shield block, some ES (the better your shield the greater the benefit; and also gain 400 Evasion, if you have a hybrid shield like me), 12% all resists, 40 STR (20 hp).

You lose 20% increased hp (pretty worthless since it's all reserved), +30 hp (same), 5% spell cast (and some damage but we don't care), and 30 INT.

In my own version I also stop at the Blood Magic cluster, as I don't know if I'd ever get to level 95 so that's my last stop and that last cluster only has 4% reduced mana reserved anyway.

This is what my tree looks like totally complete at level 90:

http://tinyurl.com/hse83w7

Up to each individual but if you have a good shield (400+ ES) this should be an improvement. Figured I'd post so people could see the choices. Cheers, and thanks again for the great guide!
Last edited by Vaalamity on Mar 24, 2016, 3:42:31 AM
Maybe I am missing something but how exactly do you cast flame totem I can cast it once and then I have to drink a heath potion to cast it a second time.
"
Vaalamity wrote:
In my own version I also stop at the Blood Magic cluster, as I don't know if I'd ever get to level 95 so that's my last stop and that last cluster only has 4% reduced mana reserved anyway.

This is what my tree looks like totally complete at level 90:

http://tinyurl.com/hse83w7

That cluster not only gives reduced reservation, but also aura effectiveness, which makes all of the auras significantly stronger. The extra radius is also nice, but difficult to quantify.

By the way, I noticed with the extra aura effectiveness coming from guardian subclass, the char reaches next breakpoint for max resistances (so it is +7% instead of the 6% from before).

I'll probably make an update by Thursday, it will include current aura bonuses and some concrete thoughts about your path and the other path I was considering.

PS: guys, I encourage you to post in https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1617221 we can changes things if we make ourselves vocal.
Several things updated. If I messed up something or do you have any suggestions, let me know.

1-Tree
I analysed Vaalamity's tree suggestion for starting points. First I'll explain my conclusions, then show the calculations.

With how I value each stat, life path is ahead by around 2 points, but shield path has 5% block. If you consider 5% block = 2 points, and your shield is much better than the rest of the gear, then the shield sub-path is indeed stronger.

It's not my case. For me extra block is almost useless, as I'm already capped with rumi's + flask nodes. Also, at the levels of tankiness of this build, I value higher the quality of life from having more hp (easier hp management to cast spells, easier flask management). And do not forget having a larger hp pool also means less stuns and less shocks/freezes.

The difference between both paths isn't that big though.

I also saw that going towards devotion as a starting path is terrible, but picking it for 2 points isn't very costly ~ around half point for 3% aura effect. Not much, but having a bit stronger auras is always nice.

2-Updated party buffs to reflect 2.2 changes

We gain all the benefits of the guardian notables.
The additional aura effectiveness from guardian gives and additional +1 max res, as and a bit more of each stat.

3- Changed budget section a bit. No longer I keep a detailed shop list with obsolete prices, but list of priorities instead. Also I've improved the wording and made some minor changes in some parts.
Last edited by dulahan200 on Mar 31, 2016, 1:05:30 AM
Hi,

Currently leveling this build and am lvl 55, but it's slowing down significantly. Got any suggestions on leveling mainly solo except in dried lake farming?

Currently I've been picking up all the life in the core route and been running dual flame totems.
"
Wonkstar wrote:
Hi,

Currently leveling this build and am lvl 55, but it's slowing down significantly. Got any suggestions on leveling mainly solo except in dried lake farming?

Currently I've been picking up all the life in the core route and been running dual flame totems.

Leveling as a solo following a path designed to support is painfully slow. Just play on parties and/or pick some dps passives and reallocate them later, there is nothing else that can be done.
Cant understand, where from u take dex. From tree u have only 64 and i dont see dex on your gear

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info