[2.2] 1H'er Ice Crash - Gladiator 100k-250k DPS Non-crit

Hello everyone & welcome to The ultimate guide for 1Her Ice Crash Gladiator RT build/play style. If you have any questions along the way feel free to drop a line. I'll check periodically to help those in need.

GEAR
Spoiler
Current Gear

KEY STATS
Spoiler

Level 94:
5,899 Life
24,000 armour (71% physical reduction)
75% resists including chaos (+75% with Ele Weakness in top tier maps)
59% physical block which jumps to 67% when I'm hit
59% spell block which jumps to 67% when I'm hit
DPS 100,000 - 257,000.

Bandits:
Normal: Help Oak (+40 Life)
Cruel: Help Oak (+16% Physical)
Merciless: Help Kraityn (+1 Frenzy Charge)

DAMAGE SCREENSHOTS
Spoiler

With Hatred, Herald of Fire, Blood Rage & Flame Golem

250,000 DPS fully buffed

DEFENSE SCREENSHOTS
Spoiler

Normal Difficulty with 3 endurance charges & Tempest Shield

Merciless Difficulty with 3 endurance charges, Tempest Shield & a Granite Flask

PASSIVE TREE

PROS & CONS
Spoiler

WHY YOU SHOULD PLAY THIS BUILD
+Passively Gain Endurance Changes & reach physical reduction cap with a Granite Flask.
+Reach 6,000 health without using a Belly of the Beast.
+Nearly capped block chance without too much investment in the passive tree.
+No expensive uniques required.
+Can easily clear all map tiers without mirror gear.
+100% Stun avoidance without getting Unwavering Stance.

WHY YOU SHOULDN'T PLAY THIS BUILD
-Damage from the passive tree comes late.
-Gear dependent

GEMS
Spoiler

6 Link

#1 - Ice Crash >> Melee Physical >> Weapon Elemental Damage >> Faster Attacks >> Physical to Lightning >> Elemental Focus/Increased Area of Effect

4 Links

#1 Fortify> >> Whirling Blade >> Faster Attacks >> Blood Magic

#2 Reckoning >> Stun >> Endurance Charge when Stun >> Blind

#3 Increased Duration >> Vaal Haste >> Tempest Shield >> Blood Rage

3 Links

#1 Fire Golem >> Ancestral Protector >> OPEN

#2 Enlighten >> Herald of Ash >> Hatred

HOW & WHY THIS BUILD WORKS

Everything in this build scales with physical damage.

Hatred adds 36% EXTRA cold damage from physical.
Herald of Fire adds 15% EXTRA fire damage from physical.
Lightning to Physical adds 29% EXTRA lightning from physical.
Physical Weapon damage adds 49% EXTRA physical damage.
Elemental Focus adds 49% EXTRA Elemental damage.
Weapon Elemental Damage adds 59% EXTRA Elemental damage.

You'll do massive damage from all the multiplicative properties and the double dipping that occurs with elemental damage that gets converted! This frees up your tree to focus on physical damage instead of elemental damage.

1.) Herald of Ice and Hatred give the largest % boost from physical damage scaling for the mana reservation required.
3.) RT build, so a large investment into crit is not needed, again freeing your passive tree up for raw damage, armour, and life.
4.) I wanted to make charge generation as simple as possible. So why not make them automatic? Blood rage auto refreshes and gives frenzy charges. Reckoning gives endurance charges and I don't need to do a single thing.
5.) Multiple sources of damage increases your potential. Think about the setup.
Tempest Shield damage
Reckoning damage
Decree of Force damage
Fire Golem damage
Ancestral Protector damage
Everything is automatic (minus a few casts). It frees up the player to actually play instead of look at buffs/debuffs and cast multiple things.
6.) Enchants are key. 65% stun avoidance on boots, Decree of Force on gloves, and IC on helm.
Last edited by PUCivilEngineer on Apr 7, 2016, 8:02:09 AM
Last bumped on Sep 30, 2016, 4:47:13 AM
Reserve
Bandits? And when leveling what keynotes do we go for first?

Am I rushing for Resolute Technique?
Last edited by FreshPrinceLive on Mar 22, 2016, 8:52:36 AM
"
Bandits? And when leveling what keynotes do we go for first?

Am I rushing for Resolute Technique?

Bandits were added.
Normal: Help Oak
Cruel: Help Oak
Merciless: Help Kraitlyn

While leveling skill Iron Reflexes first, Resolute Technique second, and Unwavering Stance third. Damage nodes including jewel sockets (if not part of the pathing) are picking up last. Life nodes take priority over block.
Hey man, cool build and nice passive tree!
Can you tell me some specifics?
Like dps and defense?
Thanks
"
RangerMask wrote:
Hey man, cool build and nice passive tree!
Can you tell me some specifics?
Like dps and defense?
Thanks

I'll take some screenshots soon. I added a "Key Stats" section to highlight the information you're looking for.
What do you recommend leveling with since ice crash isn't available until 28?
"
Sahnma wrote:
What do you recommend leveling with since ice crash isn't available until 28?

Any melee skill that is available to 1 handed sword & shield combo is a good replacement option, I personally was using reave until I switched to IC. Having physical & elemental leech does not stop you from experimenting. I would, however, eventually switch to IC for the caked in AoE (basically a free melee splash gem) and double dipping of converted physical damage to elemental damage.

I do think the best options are:
+ Double Strike
+ Reave

Why not make an axe version, I mean you get less defences and life but with a Soul Taker you could reserve all mana and use Leap Slam instead Blades, I see no problem with that do you? Or it is not doable?
"
Ankoujay wrote:
Why not make an axe version, I mean you get less defences and life but with a Soul Taker you could reserve all mana and use Leap Slam instead Blades, I see no problem with that do you? Or it is not doable?

A 1H'er Axe version is completely doable (Assuming you're talking about a Soul Taker & Shield set up). It's personal preference when comparing leap slam to whirling blades, but I prefer whirling blades myself.

With the current setup. I use a single level 3 Enlighten Gem with Hatred and Herald of Fire.
Hatred 46% Mana Reserved (with enlighten)
Herald of Fire 23% Mana Reserved (with enlighten)

Keep in mind that my passive tree does not use any points in mana or intelligence for a reason. By loading up on intelligence on my jewelry I can avoid spending valuable passive points on those nodes, and for some reason the rings and amulets I usually try to buy are not valued nearly as high as they should.

Also remember that the 6-link setup requires some investment in intelligence. You'll be using Elemental Focus so your character needs at least 110+ intelligence. Any mana issues should work themselves out when you reach that intelligence threshold.

While is seems like a good idea to run with Soul Taker, there are no mana issues with this build. The benefit of Soul Taker isn't as pronounced as it is in other builds. Plus the gimped DPS would require more life leech % nodes to balance out the lesser value of leech you'd be receiving. I'll post a Soul Taker and my weapon to compare the DPS outputs.

But again, if you don't have a 400+ dps weapon using a Soul Taker will work.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info