Today's Server Instability

Jonathan, our Technical Director, has written an incident report about these crashes. Please read it if you'd like the technical details of what happened.

Path of Exile has run for a very long time without a full realm crash. Large launches like today's one are especially prone to crashes because they introduce new code and because many players return to the game at the same time. We had ten staff available on the weekend to fix problems like this today. They were kept busy!

The problem with a realm crash is that once the realm comes back up, the crash bug still exists in the code and can happen again at any time. The only way to fix the realm crash is to replace the code (which can take hours) and restart the realm. If you're not 100% sure that your fix is good enough, then you face the tough decision of kicking everyone off to deploy a fix that prevents them being kicked off.

Three crashes happened today. One of these was ironically during the countdown related to the deployment of the attempted fix for that crash.

We currently have the realm in a state where we believe it is stable. However, we have put an even safer version of the server executables in place so that if a crash does occur tonight then it'll reboot into that new version. Hopefully this is unnecessary. See Jonathan's report for more information.

I'd like to both apologise to our players for the instability and also thank the development team for their hard work today. It was a hot summer Saturday with broken air conditioning and a lot of stress.

The fact that Path of Exile is breaking 2013's record player numbers in 2016 is incredibly good for the future of the game. We've learnt a lot about marketing, planning expansions and designing challenge leagues. We really hope you enjoy Ascendancy and Perandus over the coming months.

Now let's hope the servers stay up overnight tonight as peak time approaches! ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Last edited by Chris on Mar 5, 2016, 8:26:01 PM
Last bumped on Mar 8, 2016, 3:25:03 PM
Wasn't there a full realm crash a day or two ago before the launch? I recall something akin to that happening, albeit it was much more brief, and didn't cause much suffering outside of the near-instantaneous period of it. Was that related in any way to the same glitch?

Also, you speak a lot of "records," so perhaps might we actually see numbers for a change? A lot of speculation has swirled in terms of player count for months/years, and the best we've ever been able to glean are VERY incomplete pictures from post-challenge-league stats, and the VERY inconsistent figures posted for the Steam client. It might be good to see just how MANY players it took to overload the entire realm network.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
Last edited by ACGIFT on Mar 4, 2016, 11:39:11 PM
Thanks GGG for the wonderful game, you guys must be tired, enjoy your weekend :)
it's all good, keep up the good work.

the trial traps are awesome btw.
"
ACGIFT wrote:
Wasn't there a full realm crash a day or two ago before the launch? I recall something akin to that happening, albeit it was much more brief, and didn't cause much suffering outside of the near-instantaneous period of it. Was that related in any way to the same glitch?

Also, you speak a lot of "records," so perhaps might we actually see numbers for a change? A lot of speculation has swirled in terms of player count for months/years, and the best we've ever been able to glean are VERY incomplete pictures from post-challenge-league stats, and the VERY inconsistent figures posted for the Steam client. It might be good to see just how MANY players it took to overload the entire realm network.

Who cares! have fun!
Good job, guys. Love what I've seen in the hours I've put in since launch
Cadiro had a Goldrim for me for 27 coins, I went to town to get his coins, and boom! Crash. FeelsBadMan
IGN Crimace
Last edited by Bharge on Mar 4, 2016, 11:44:23 PM
y'all just keep doing what you are doing. No complaints here.

Thanks to all.
Oulala first page!

The labyrinth is too long and boring.
IGN Crimace

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info