Is critical strike multiplier a more or increased damage modifier?

Basically title, I want to do a non-crit spark build with elemental overload but I'm not sure if the 40% more damage is worth losing out on all critical strike multiplier. I would have more life and increased damage nodes with a non-crit build while a crit build would require some investment, which I'm not particularly looking forward to in the next league.

Which would be better for damage overall?
Last bumped on Apr 27, 2016, 1:35:09 PM
It is MORE in the current game. It will become INCREASED in the upcoming patch this Friday.
Crit should still be king for damage when given infinite money and little concern for tankiness.

It depends on what you mean by more or increased. Bonuses to critical strike multiplier both currently and in Ascension stack additively.

In the current version of the game, bonuses to multiplier, i.e. "increased critical strike multiplier," multiply the base multiplier of 150%. In practice, this means that any bonus you get, e.g. "12% increased critical strike multiplier," should be half again as large an addition to your multiplier, i.e. you will go from 150 + 18% to 168% crit multiplier with that bonus.

In the expansion, it looks like all critical strike multiplier will be nerfed by a third (because of this interesting mathematical relationship) as a consequence of changing from "x% increased critical strike multiplier" to "+x% to critical strike multiplier," which adds directly to multiplier instead of multiplying the multiplier.

ex.
Before: "10% increased critical strike multiplier," "20% increased critical strike multiplier"
Answer: 150% * (1+0.1+0.2) = 195% final multiplier

After: "+10% to critical strike multiplier," "+20% to critical strike multiplier"
Answer: 150% + 10% + 20% = 180% final Multiplier

EDIT: What I mean by "nerfed by a third" is you can see that before, you gained +45% to your multi, while after, you gained +30% to your multi. A third of 45 is 15, so you're losing a third of the bonus.

As you can see, they stack additively both before Ascension (current) and after Ascension. So I would rate them both as "increased."

Alternatively, the critical strike multiplier is a multiplier, which means it multiplies your base damage. So you could rate them both as "More" as well.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Mar 2, 2016, 1:47:23 AM
That would be pretty dumb, if they really change it that way

With a total of 70% crit, 200% increased crit multi, you have currently a crit multi of 450% and a DPS multiplier of 0.3 + 0.7*4.5 = 3.45

If it would be only commulative, then you would have a crit multi of 350% or a netto dps increase of 0.3 + 0.7*3.5 = 2,7

Considering, that you can't stack a lot of crit and increased damage from passive, all normal builds that are designed to take a lot of increase nodes from the passive would outperform crit builds by a far margin.

Edit: Also note, that the Crit Multiplier gem is already a lot worse then some other gems we have currently available. Making CM additive, would pretty much destroy crit i think..
Welcome to the greatest of arenas, Duelist. God is watching you.

Last edited by Astarte911 on Mar 2, 2016, 3:01:46 AM
No, it is not.

It is a multiplier, which is neither a more modifier nor an increase modifier, and does not function like them - there's a very big difference between a multiplier of 150% (1.5 x damage) and 150% more/increased damage (2.5x damage).

The critical strike multiplier is a multiplier on the total damage of the hit. The way it applies to damage is not changing at all in ascendancy (the stats you get to modify the critical strike multiplier are, but that doesn't change how the multiplier applies to damage).
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
No, it is not.

It is a multiplier, which is neither a more modifier nor an increase modifier, and does not function like them - there's a very big difference between a multiplier of 150% (1.5 x damage) and 150% more/increased damage (2.5x damage).

The critical strike multiplier is a multiplier on the total damage of the hit. The way it applies to damage is not changing at all in ascendancy (the stats you get to modify the critical strike multiplier are, but that doesn't change how the multiplier applies to damage).

Can you confirm base crit damage of 150% will not change as well?
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
the change from "increased" to "additional" basically means 33% less crit multiplier (in case base crit multi remains 150%). before the change, 10% increased = 15% additional

I think The whole purpose of this change is to reduce overall crit damage without creating tons of legacy items
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
"
Ludvator wrote:
the change from "increased" to "additional" basically means 33% less crit multiplier (in case base crit multi remains 150%). before the change, 10% increased = 15% additional

I think The whole purpose of this change is to reduce overall crit damage without creating tons of legacy items

If base crit dam is remaining the same then final crit dam does not change at all.
"
Nephalim wrote:
"
Ludvator wrote:

If base crit dam is remaining the same then final crit dam does not change at all.

do you recognize the difference between "increased" and "additional" ?
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
"
Ludvator wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:
"
Ludvator wrote:

do you recognize the difference between "increased" and "additional" ?

Do you recognize 10% increased of 150 is the same as 15% additional of 150?
Last edited by Nephalim on Mar 2, 2016, 3:32:49 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info