New player accessibility suggestions

I would like to address the accessibility of PoE for new Players. This is a collection of my thoughts over a long time but the first impression series of Daksneezian that got posted on reddit is what made me write this up now.

Introduction to the problem

First off, I am a closed beta player from the original closed beta and I have put countless hours into this game. I love PoE and for me it is the one game that puts all other games back as fillers between leagues. As such I tried to get other people I know into PoE and I have always failed thus far. I think this game is not for everyone and a lot of my friends realized that it is either too time consuming or too complicated. This is fine, expectations about what a game should provide vary and PoE is very much on the time consuming and complicated end of the gaming spectrum.

BUT, I also think that PoE does a terrible job at introducing new players. To be fair the early game has been improved a lot but at the same time more and more mechanics have been introduced. Basically new players that stick to the game are those that get online and look for tutorials...

There is a wide array of community guides and tools out there. Not all of these tools are for new players. Some like poe.trade or the wiki are used by experienced players like me every day while playing. Some are essentials (like poe.trade, selffound excluded) while others are hugh quality of live improvements (like lootfilters). I personally use at least 10 different tools and websites to complement my gaming experience in PoE. Without them this game would not be playable for me.

Suggestion for a solution

I am okay with all the 3rd party tools and guides and I don't think GGG need to get these features into the game itself.

BUT I think that GGG should point that out ingame. My suggestion is that GGG makes a section on this website were selected guides and tools from the community are showcased and have an ingame helplink that gets you to that side. Best case if there is also a tutorial message (i.e. after talking to talkleigh in town for the hillock reward) that points out that this helppage/link exists. Aside from that I also think that some lootfilters should be preinstalled already.

Things I would put on the Helppage

Spoiler

Neversink's lootfilter
alternative lootfilters
PoE wiki
poe.trade
Acquisition
guides for Acquisition and shops
Procurement
guides for Precurement and shops
PoE Beginner guide by ZiggyD
other guides for Beginners, Trading, Racing and a lot more.
PoE Affix
or update your own Affix page ;P

A lot of other things like the Mikelats aura calculator or the Vorici chromatic calculator would be nice too. This list is by no way complete... its just what i can think of right now without searching for more.

TL;DR: I believe that if 3rd party tools and websites are shown to new players via an ingame page or a link ingame that they will not only have an easier time sticking with the game but it will also help them to understand that this is the way PoE is played (because some players don't like that at first and want to play the game without help "like it is meant to be played").

Edit: It is also a great way for GGG to appreciate and reward the work of their community members that put so much effort into all of these helpfull tools and websites.
Last edited by MrLordCaptain on Feb 13, 2016, 3:19:23 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I conpletely agree, this would be a brilliant inplementation.

I have had the same issue as you, been playing since closed beta and the entire time I have been trying to bring friends to the game, but all of them very quickly become overwhelmed and just give up instead of trying to learn the game; if there was a better introduction and available help links in game I am confident at least a few of them would have stuck around!
I agree with you but at the same time GGG's whole idea back then was that the game won't be for everyone , which means that if you can't find your way most likely this game is not for you .
R.I.P 4.B.
New: Helppp....some <insert boss name here> 1 shot me, how to beat him?
Veteran: whats ur resistance?
New: My resist is <insert low % resist number here>
Veteran: try to get resist cap 75%
New: but these are the gears from quest reward & I picked up. I maxed out what I have already, I couldnt find any better gear.
Veteran: quest reward gear suck, did u try poe.trade to get a better gear, it is pretty cheap to cap 75%.

LEL......
I don't think this game will ever be for everyone... I would just like the game to start you of in the right direction without the need of global chat (this is were I was told all the usefull stuff but global was way nicer in closed beta)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info