Understanding Map Drops - a statistical Approach

"
Arrowneous wrote:
So you're saying that GGG wants to make it a necessity to trade for higher level maps or else quit? Strange that GGG is ok with alienating millions of solo players that don't enjoy trading at all and play for the monster bashing, build experimenting, and leveling challenge. Hmm... that must explain why millions have quit over lack of maps. I wonder, does GGG get more from players trading for maps than they lose from players who have quit from lack of higher tier map drops? How does this help their financial bottom line knowing that map starvation is driving away many players?

millions? your talking about the top 5% at most of the population.

People don't quit because they can't sustain high tier maps. they quit because they get bored, and come back later on with a new update. The people who stay find something else to do if they're not interested in leveling.
"
Asmosis wrote:
"
Arrowneous wrote:
So you're saying that GGG wants to make it a necessity to trade for higher level maps or else quit? Strange that GGG is ok with alienating millions of solo players that don't enjoy trading at all and play for the monster bashing, build experimenting, and leveling challenge. Hmm... that must explain why millions have quit over lack of maps. I wonder, does GGG get more from players trading for maps than they lose from players who have quit from lack of higher tier map drops? How does this help their financial bottom line knowing that map starvation is driving away many players?

millions? your talking about the top 5% at most of the population.

People don't quit because they can't sustain high tier maps. they quit because they get bored, and come back later on with a new update. The people who stay find something else to do if they're not interested in leveling.

I find the whole alienation of players of any % due to some kind of starvation (maps, endgame gear, etc.) to be strange for a free-to-play game where high customer satisfaction equals better moods and more desire to buy something or a supporter pack acknowledging that we like what the devs are doing. I always have to state a big NO: I DON"T WANT A RAIN OF RICHES either as too much of a good thing is just as bad as too little but by stating that I hate the low drop rates (starvation) I'll always get the troll replies stating the obvious about over abundance of T1 gear being bad. But right now Cadiro Perandus has set the endgame gear bar closer to the "just right" level for most (hence the higher daily player stats for this temp league) and yet GGG is not making him a permanent resident of Wraeclast. Strange move unless GGG has something else under wraps to replace Cadiro to get more build enabling endgame gear into the hands of the masses.

Edit: Any way you look at it low map drop rates of the higher tier maps is a big reason players get bored. Face rolling everything including the end map boss for very little exp. is a huge bore and waste of grind time. But if maps (T10+) don't drop enough to sustain playing a build into the upper 80s and 90s then that is an obvious mistake by GGG. For me it won't get me to trade more it just frustrates me and I stop playing that build from lack of more challenging (difficult to kill) map mobs. That's why Perandus mobs work for me as my builds end up by level 85+ at a place where the p-mobs are in my "goldilocks" zone for content difficulty. Obviously everyone's build and play skills are different and so your views will differ from mine. That's why a "one level of game content difficulty factor" does not work very well.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on May 16, 2016, 11:17:11 AM
"
Arrowneous wrote:

I find the whole alienation of players of any % due to some kind of starvation (maps, endgame gear, etc.) to be strange for a free-to-play game where high customer satisfaction equals better moods and more desire to buy something or a supporter pack acknowledging that we like what the devs are doing. I always have to state a big NO: I DON"T WANT A RAIN OF RICHES either as too much of a good thing is just as bad as too little but by stating that I hate the low drop rates (starvation) I'll always get the troll replies stating the obvious about over abundance of T1 gear being bad. But right now Cadiro Perandus has set the endgame gear bar closer to the "just right" level for most (hence the higher daily player stats for this temp league) and yet GGG is not making him a permanent resident of Wraeclast. Strange move unless GGG has something else under wraps to replace Cadiro to get more build enabling endgame gear into the hands of the masses.

Edit: Any way you look at it low map drop rates of the higher tier maps is a big reason players get bored. Face rolling everything including the end map boss for very little exp. is a huge bore and waste of grind time. But if maps (T10+) don't drop enough to sustain playing a build into the upper 80s and 90s then that is an obvious mistake by GGG. For me it won't get me to trade more it just frustrates me and I stop playing that build from lack of more challenging (difficult to kill) map mobs. That's why Perandus mobs work for me as my builds end up by level 85+ at a place where the p-mobs are in my "goldilocks" zone for content difficulty. Obviously everyone's build and play skills are different and so your views will differ from mine. That's why a "one level of game content difficulty factor" does not work very well.

It is not a strange move at all. They always said that once in a while they will make a temporary league where loot is more available. Perandus league was really throwing a bone to their newer players. But they are at risk of losing a part of their core playerbase who made this game more known in the first place. A playerbase that wanted a game where they traverse a cruel and dangerous Wraeclast where nothing is ever given on a silver plate.

And honestly if you are bored because the game doesnot offer you any challenge that is partly because the loot has become so much easier to obtain (something you love) and a huge chunk of the playerbase just blindly copies the current one-spam-button cookie-cutter builds. These type of players then blow through mid-tier and high-tier maps like it is nothing and feel like map drop rates should be buffed because "their builds" can handle it and they lack 'challenge'. There really is no skill involved whatsoever by playing one of these cookie-cutter-builds. Guess that was never the way GGG envisioned the game. Therefore it will become utter time to nerf some builds down to the ground by reviewing some combinations of mechanics.
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info