Understanding Map Drops - a statistical Approach

It is hard for me to believe the stories of people sustaining T12+ realistically... at an average of ~100% IIQ / 14% pack size over a couple thousand maps, I am only borderline able to sustain T11. I get plenty of time in T12+ but it so far is definitely not sustainable.

And yeah the map RNG system has always been garbage design and still is garbage design. Zero correlation between your map rolls and your map drops except on an insanely large (at minimum, thousands of maps) scale.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
Last edited by tackle70 on Mar 27, 2016, 5:38:34 PM
I believe the idea behind the design is: if you're an active economic participant, the sample size is millions (which is even smoother than thousands). That's why I don't say mapping is gated by RNG, I say it's gated by trade; all map droprate QQ threads can be solved by "getting over" the compulsion to avoid trading for maps during the occasional bad-luck steak.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 27, 2016, 7:04:46 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I believe the idea behind the design is: if you're an active economic participant, the sample size is millions (which is even smoother than thousands). That's why I don't say mapping is gated by RNG, I say it's gated by trade; all map droprate QQ threads can be solved by "getting over" the compulsion to avoid trading for maps during the occasional bad-luck steak.

gating content behind trading is even more asinine and stupid than gating content behind RNG

Don't get me wrong, I obviously enjoy the system enough to play thousands of maps and not get burnt out. But the fundamental design implementation is terrible.
Last edited by tackle70 on Mar 27, 2016, 11:13:59 PM
This sounds right, I seem to notice when I am building my map pool for each tier that when I break my strategy and just do highest tier available I have better results.
The strategy is to not stack quantity on your gear because the game is rigged like that.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
The strategy is to not stack quantity on your gear because the game is rigged like that.

Quantity on gear does not affect map drops and never has. Map drops are only affected by quantity on the map itself. This has always been the case.
Seems like GGG is encouraging people to trade more. I've bought like ten maps from Zana this league, jumped straight from T4 to T9/10.

It's almost too easy to get maps, but then, my character is never remotely threatened by the content anyway...
builds: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1663570/
Good statistics OP, but seems like my map drop much worse then you explained. Srsly bad streak for so a long time... no idea how to fix it.
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead
One thing a lot of people seem to forget is the amount of mods on a map a lot of build simply cannot run.

min/max, reflect, high ele resists, blood magic etc..

It is no wonder that the people running high maps constantly are running Voltaxic.

I have a Sweep Oro's Sacrifice Marauder, which is unable to do reflect and high Fire resist maps. This alone will cause me to have to invest extra currency to re-roll those mods, while for other builds (like Voltaxic), it are free packsize/quality mods...

min/max on a melee character? forget it, you'll die.
Blood magic on your RF character? forget it, impossible.
Curse immune of your build that relies on leech from warlocks mark? forget it.

Don't Touch my Sweep please GGG!
Only saw this today. Quality post, good job.
All my builds /view-thread/1430399

T14 'real' clearspeed challenge /1642265

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info