[2.1] The Railgun - Point Blank Chin Sol Ice Shot - Insane damage at almost no cost! [NSFHC]

What about adding trap supports with this for hc viability?
Hey guys,
small update since my last post.
I ascended 3 times now and hit level 81 (almost level 82).
Haven't tried that much maps yet, because I only had time to do dried lakes, because those I can quit whenever I want. I'll start mapping/testing in the next few days. 1 Think for sure Ele Reflect maps are impossible but maybe i'll spec into vaal pact... xD

Spend quiete a few chaos on my gear and i have to say I just have to 5-6L my chin sol and get myself a carcass/hyrris ire and 5-6l it.

Gear
Spoiler

BTW: Resistances are slightly overcapped / hp is around 3.k

@rawbird

send me a message with your timezone or just add me ingame so we can run maps and compare our build / ascendancy classes :)
Last edited by XRacKS on Mar 29, 2016, 3:38:52 AM
So .. I went a bit out of the way and grinded all the way up to 90. And it was a .. chore. I sadly must admit: my build sucks now XD

1. The damage is alright but definitively not high enough in t13 maps once you stack Enfeeble, Monster Ele Resist, Monster Life and Ele Equilibrium. Bosses melt just fine but the Ice Shot damage is not up there to reliably clear trash.

2. Single Proj Ice Shot misses a lot of mobs in t11+ maps that just get to you too damn fast and then you're screwed. Unless you have perfect aim you're going to have a hard time. Using LMP/GMP for Slower Proj or Pierce doesn't help btw - this gimps the damage way too much.

3. 4k Life and 68% dodge are waaaaaaaay too little mitigation in t11+ maps. White Trash pushes me over like no joke :/

So sadly even with a 6l and Alpha's Howl and Carcass Jack and Drillneck, this build is complete garbage once you go beyond t10. Until then it's godly but honestly, if you invest so much in a build, then you wanna do red maps as well, right?

So what did I do to fix this?

tl;dr I changed the build entirely :D

a) I use Shrapnel Shot + LMP + PPaD + WED + Pierce + Phys to Lightning ... this works surprisingly well with the tree. Way better than Ice Shot. Tooltip buffed up is 20k. This means 40k counting AoE + Arrow. All three LMPs overlap, so that's 120k damage, accounting for Point Blank and Chin Sol that should be 360k damage for the mob in our face. Downside is that the AoE is tiny compared to Ice Shot. Luckily the Herald of Ash Overkill damage and the Herald of Ice chain reaction will take care of the rest of the screen.

b) I put aside Lightning Arrow. I'm using the Herald of Ice explosions to curse now which is less reliable and basically you'll never have a curse on bosses but it's way less annoying to play.

c) I respecced the Projectile Nodes at the Ranger start and traded them for the Life + Evasion nodes. This brings me up to 4.5k (instead of 4) which is still meh but at least a bit better

d) I'm using Vaal Grace now. This is contra-productive with Vaal Burning Arrow but honestly I'm thinking of ditching VBA as well and trading it for Barrage. The instant boss kills are nice but in t11+ maps they can kill you as quick and 10% exp loss at Level 90 is just way to painfull...

I'm still working on testing d). I need to recolor a lot of items so I will need some time. Ideally I can sneak in an Immortal Call as well; I have to see how it plays out with the sockets ...

If you're interested you can check my profile and the char RawRailgun for the current state.

Let me know how it goes for you guys ... maybe it's just a Raider Thing? Is Ice Shot maybe viable with Deadeye? Please let me know...

"
XRacKS wrote:

@rawbird

send me a message with your timezone or just add me ingame so we can run maps and compare our build / ascendancy classes :)

Will do. I'm sitting in Europe, what timezone are you in?
### r4wb1rd ###
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/r4wb1rd
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/r4wb1rdGaming/
Babel PoE: https://github.com/rowolff/babel-poe/releases
hey i'm in europe aswell (germany) so we should find a way to map tgether but honestly i have to test this build in maps first :D
i alrdy thought about switching to shrapnel shot aswell - i would have to change someacedancy points but first ill try to make your build work... havent got any t10+ maps this league but ill push it a bit :D
Last edited by XRacKS on Mar 29, 2016, 1:00:43 PM
Okay I fiddled around with Barrage over VBA and it works exceptionally well! This is amazing because I can now use Vaal Grace with Increased Duration and have almost permanent Vaal Grace uptime if I want to.

Here's a casual Olmec's Sanctum run with the new setup:

https://youtu.be/gxwpZTIA9b8

I think I'm ready to update the post. I will run a couple more red maps as proof of concept and then finally update this thread...
### r4wb1rd ###
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/r4wb1rd
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/r4wb1rdGaming/
Babel PoE: https://github.com/rowolff/babel-poe/releases
"
r4wb1rd wrote:
Okay I fiddled around with Barrage over VBA and it works exceptionally well! This is amazing because I can now use Vaal Grace with Increased Duration and have almost permanent Vaal Grace uptime if I want to.

Here's a casual Olmec's Sanctum run with the new setup:

https://youtu.be/gxwpZTIA9b8

I think I'm ready to update the post. I will run a couple more red maps as proof of concept and then finally update this thread...

hey i thought about shrapnel shot aswell (i would have to spend 20regrets), but i would synergize pretty well with deadeye Powerful Precision since its 100% pierche chance = 100% increased crit chance... since it would pierce i would have to spec out of ricochet and would take endless munitions to gain the extra arrow which should be pretty op... still yesterday i cleared rare maps up to t9 pretty easy...

with my current setup i noticed that i almost clear everything with my coh 4l setup rather than with iceshot... i'll change my tree tonight mb and buy an intuitive leap aswell therefore i can have 5 power charges and gain an additional frenzy charge and save 1 point and i have the ability to gain the mana leech note + mana near shadow...

EDIT:
Rare Gorge Run
BTW: i forgot to use my flasks at first... xD AAAANNNNDDDD the last nodes will push my dmg aswell... just wanted to show how "well" deadeye performs... if any1 wonders why i dont run herald of ash... i need like 1-2 more level :D

EDIT #2:
Ok screw it i bought myself a nice rare bow (~250phys dps with 9crit chance) and specced out of point blank switched to lightning arrow and my clearspeed is like 10 times better... xD sorry but i tried my best rawbird... :/
Last edited by XRacKS on Apr 1, 2016, 3:30:14 AM
I created a Shadow version of this Ice Shot Railgun build using Herald of Ash for burning damage:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1640989
Would be glad if anyone wants to give it a try, or wants to give some feedback. :)
Last edited by jomtoy on Apr 4, 2016, 11:59:11 AM
I'm super jazzed to see an updated version of this build! I've been wanting to make a new character after my fun (but ultimately unplayable) Frost Blades 2 Handed Crit Sword Ranger gave up the ghost. This build is just off the beaten track enough to interest me, while having enough up front damage that I won't get wrecked as much by physical spells (because everything is dead).
I'm currrently level 76 with my Deadeye, with some slight modifications to this build, mid-Tier maps are absolutely doable right now, without any problems to clear trash:
Powerful Precision - Far Shot - Endless Munitions and a Carcass Jack for AoE, plus Herald of Ash -Increased Burning - Increased Area does the job quite well.

Survivability is perfectly fine for a low life build I'd say:
Picked up Arrow Dancing (which makes positioning even more important though) and Blink Arrow - Faster Projectiles for escape plus Mirror Arrow as a decoy for harder mobs and bosses. Atziri's Step boots enable me to basically just walk out of the way or dodge/evade attacks and spells. Knockback of Chin Sol and King of the Hill keeps them at a healthy distance. "Mind your footwork exile!";)
Nevertheless, elemental reflect still equals death.
EDIT: Enduring Cry with a CWDT-Immortal Call Setup helps a lot, too.

Damage: The Ascendancy class provides everything we need for AoE, including nearly guaranteed pierce at close range, so Drillneck is just insane in my opinion (= 300% Damage at close range through chin sol an Point Blank + 100% physical Damage through Drillneck + 100% Crit-Chance through Powerful Precision). Ice shot - WED - Added Fire - Physical Projectile Damage - Added Cold/Slower Projectiles, 3-link Herald and Hatred Aura. Izaros Turmoil boosts this further.

I dropped the curse on hit setup and put temporal chains on manual cast, to make dodging easier in boss fights and elite-packs.

Compared to my Standard Voltaxic-LA Ranger last league, it is not as "safe" to play. Definitely more fun though!
Last edited by Zensiert300 on Apr 7, 2016, 11:45:22 AM
Would you be able to provide a link to your passives, Zensiert300? That sounds like a lot of fun!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info