Death Penalty (default league)

"
DexDeus wrote:
i totally i agree. i like it hard. keep it hard. I just dont think a 15% flat penalty is at all necessary to decentivise dieing.

as suggested 10 or 15% or "exp gained" is still a tough punishment but its not insane.

Look at it this way.

You're lv 80. you're on 80%. You die on a map. you're now 65%

You wonder if you should go back and try again

You think.........hmmmmmmm, im not sure if i can do this...

I could lose 15% if i fail........ yeah thats too big of a risk ill not bother.

So essentially what you're doing is giving yourself a defensive mindset and playing it safe all the time.

Sometimes i think its fun to play it safe and for me - thats the HC league. I love HC.

But i feel the SC league is for going the full hog and taking on things you are too weak for for the hell of it. Punishment yes - 15% flat................. i dont think thats fair.

But thats my thinking i guess.

I see your point too,
the effort put to gain a 15% of the experience bar at character level 1 is quite different from the effort needed to gain the same 15% at level 80, and losing it can be frustrating, especially when the lack of free time shouts loud its presence...

but when a lot of people are into the same thing, it's inevitable to see different minds.
And IMHO everybody has the right to enjoy a game like PoE in the best way.
The only way to achieve this IMO is to give to the players a lot of parameters to set in order to configure the gaming experience according to their liking: the typical checkbox in the options menu saying "disable death penalty" and everybody is happy!

A deeper analysis of the matter will surely point out better ways to do this, maybe a "death penalty curve" (maybe configurable), but first of all a lot of people with the same idea are needed to make the devs devote their work time to modify the game or implemet new options.

Bye
Oh yeah, the chamber... of siiiiins!
How about, when you die in default the game wipes out your portals. And clears all your map instances.

That way you have to get back to point legitimately instead of potentially zerging bosses or hard parts of the game.

If you die in a party, you cannot rejoin that party as well.

This would mean if Piety kills you, you have to start all the way of level 2 of lunaris again. I would vastly prefer this.
I think a curved XP loss might be a good idea....

Maybe start at 10% and each time you die, that penalty is reduced by 1% (to 9%, 8%, 7%, ect. all the way to 0%).

That way, if you're really getting stomped, you're not getting punished for it constantly (gaining a level resets the penalty).

Last night, I was in Normal and died 10-15 times in the Pyramid and Vaal. This game is hard... and I like that... but sometimes I just want to get past the freaking area and on to the next thing x.x

Edit: I understand that there is no xp penalty on Normal. My point was that, even on lower difficulties, there are "kill zones" (places that will stomp you hard even if you're playing your best... especially since they've concentrated some of the mob groupings). Having an xp penalty that is reduced on death will make grinding through these kill zones easier.
Last edited by Manofdusk on Feb 19, 2013, 6:03:51 PM
Death Penalty will kill this game fast

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info