2.1 Detonate Dead Trapper [Ascendancy Info Added]

Ascendancy

I've been contemplating this build for the release of Ascendancy. I think I've settled on Witch as the class of choice because of the Elementalist. Beacon of Ruin allows us to drop the elemental proliferation support. Also Liege of the Primordial and a flame golem will give the character a significant boost in damage, potentially allowing for less damage nodes and a greater focus on defense.

A special note about Shaper of Desolation, I will need to test with and without chance to ignite to really know if this node can replace the gem. However, what this node does do is give us the ability to shock without vaal lightning trap. This will be a huge boon to our clear speed. Also proliferating chill should not be overlooked, it is a substantial debuff to enemies.

Ascendancy Baseline Skill Tree

Here are the gems/links I would consider (by order of importance);

Detonate Dead -> Trap -> *Chance to Ignite* -> Increased Area of Effect -> Trap & Mine Damage -> Fire Penetration

Desecrate -> Trap

Flame Surge -> Trap -> Controlled Destruction -> Trap & Mine Damage

Discipline

Arctic Armour

Blasphemy -> Flammability

Flame Golem -> Minion Life

If chance to ignite is not needed, then I will have to come up with something in the even that I get a 6 link.

Intro

With new leagues come the fun of trying new builds with all the free respecs you have in standard. I wanted to give detonate dead a shot after GGG buffed it's base radius for the second time. I also decided to trap it because the new trap nodes are incredibly powerful and it gives me a support gem with a more multiplier that doesn't reduce the radius of the explosion.

***DISCLAIMER*** You have to click two buttons to do damage with this build. First you have to throw a desecrate trap, then you throw the detonate dead trap. If you throw a detonate dead trap and it is triggered with no corpses in range, it will break and do nothing.

Videos

Residence Map

Proof of Concept Video

Skill Tree

Bandits

Normal = Help Oak

Cruel = Kill All

Merciless = Help Oak or Kill All

Gems

My Gear

F.A.Q.

Q: Why not fire trap?
A: I chose detonate dead because it has a larger base radius and it's damage scales off of the maximum hp of the corpse you explode. This means the damage scales with the map you are in.

Q: Why is desecrate on a trap?
A: Desecrate has a built in limit and cool down much like traps do. However with hasty reconstruction the detonate dead trap was regenerating faster than the desecrate, so trapping it kept their recovery time equal.

Q: Is a carcass jack required?
A: While not required it should be your primary gearing goal, the additional area it provides is key to clearing maps quickly.

Q: How do you level this build?
A: Level up with fire trap and firestorm. Switch to detonate dead traps once you've acquired a 5 link.

CI Witch Variant

Skill Tree

Bandits

Normal - Kill All
Cruel - Kill All
Merciless - Help Oak

Why?

With the 2.1 Tree I kept asking myself if it was possible to do CI trapper. After playing a CI character in talisman I found the play style is not as terrible as I thought especially once you start breaking 8k energy shield. As a trapper you just need to handle getting chunked while you drop your traps. I personally think the CI variant feels much better in maps than the EB/MoM/ZO variant.

Gems

Detonate Dead -> Trap -> Chance to Ignite -> Elemental Proliferation -> Increased Area of Effect / Fire Penetration

Blasphemy -> Flammability, Desecrate -> Trap

Flame Surge -> Trap -> Fire Penetration -> Controlled Destruction

Vaal Lightning Trap -> Vaal Discipline -> Enduring Cry -> Increased Duration

Flame Dash, Clarity, Discipline

Cast When Damage Taken -> Immortal Call -> Increased Duration

Legend;

-> = Linked

, = No Link Required

/ = Optional Link

I found running a 5 link without fire penetration was a good option to make up for the lack of carcass jack. Just avoid map mods which add fire resistance. Your blasphemy flammability is fine versus normal resistances, not buffed resists. Also for bosses (which generally resist all elemental damage) we have a flame surge trap with fire penetration. So you can to ignite them with a dd trap, then dump flame surge traps on them. Use Vaal lightning trap to augment damage as needed.

Last edited by nosrek_scirocco on Mar 1, 2016, 11:27:00 PM
Last bumped on Mar 17, 2016, 10:13:06 AM
Hey, do you sometimes have problem with single target damage with traps? Like rare Necromancers or Golems? Or any maps with Monster life% / Enfeeble / Resistances / Immune to curses?

I used to play trapper back when prolif was better and that bothered me a lot.
Leveling with Firestorm + Multitrap atm, looking forward to DD in maps. Thanks for the inspiration!

Just added to add: for a beginner/low budget option, could put DD in Deerstalker Boots for pseudo 5L. (But prob not worth using until ~Cruel. Mob HP starts so low.)
Looks good. DD has always been a favourite of mine. I wonder if Trap Damage is comparable to Fire Pen?
Nice guide and build, might have to check this out
Thanks!
"
First off, I haven't been able to play 2.1 yet and I haven't been able to check out the new passive tree and the new trap nodes.

What are the advantages of the trap support on:
1) detonate dead, instead of self-cast with e.g. controlled destruction/spell echo, and
2) desecrate, instead of spell totem (which I've read bypasses the cooldown which was your concern)?

Anyway nice video, I've been interested in trying out DD for a while.

1) Detonate Dead doesnt benefit from Spell modifiers, so its useless to support it with controlled destruction afaik

2) you cant rly control where desecerate will be casted then
"
PetitCaca wrote:
Hey, do you sometimes have problem with single target damage with traps? Like rare Necromancers or Golems? Or any maps with Monster life% / Enfeeble / Resistances / Immune to curses?

I used to play trapper back when prolif was better and that bothered me a lot.

So personally I would skip curse immune since we are running flammability blasphemy. Outside of that even fire resist maps won't be a big deal. The vaal lightning trap holds 3 uses and fills up quickly, it is a significant enough damage boost to keep you one shotting packs.

"
Handd wrote:
Looks good. DD has always been a favourite of mine. I wonder if Trap Damage is comparable to Fire Pen?

Trap damage is comparable. The way to look at penetration is it's a more multiplier. So they have roughly the same effect on damage.

"
First off, I haven't been able to play 2.1 yet and I haven't been able to check out the new passive tree and the new trap nodes.

What are the advantages of the trap support on:
1) detonate dead, instead of self-cast with e.g. controlled destruction/spell echo, and
2) desecrate, instead of spell totem (which I've read bypasses the cooldown which was your concern)?

Anyway nice video, I've been interested in trying out DD for a while.

So detonate dead is not a spell, therefore spell damage does not scale it. So while you can use echo on it, you can't use controlled destruction. Personally if I were self casting, I wouldn't use echo anyway. With burn builds you want to get one big hit, and echo has a 10% less damage tax.

I have not tried spell totem to put out desecrate, reason is, i don't need corpses spammed. I only need one, and I need to put it out as fast as I can. So currently a trap is the easiest/fastest way. If you check out the videos you'll see I'm moving quickly from pack to pack. Having to place a totem each time, then wait for it to drop corpses would be a hindrance instead of a boon.
I've continued to mess around with this build when I get bored of the talisman grind. I've added a variant I have found to be quite good. CI gear is incredibly cheap and abundant in talisman and you can put the CI variant together on a budget. I've also added a flame surge trap to help with anything that doesn't die in one DD trap.

To do CI I recommend you have ~120+ es gloves, ~120+ es, ~200+ es helm, ~300+ es shield, ~400 es chest, eye of chayula, and dream fragments.

Perandus Blazon is a cheap option for assisting with stat requirements.
Is dex a big problem?
Last edited by pawe1991 on Dec 29, 2015, 3:19:00 PM
Do you know if 10% trap damage from the tree is the same as 10% fire damage? If they are similar then could make damage buffing a bit easier for DD...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info