[2.1] FROSTBITE - Fast paced, High DPS, Strong Defenses Frostblades build

Original :: Shield based, tanking oriented, Frostblades build.
Spoiler

This build is about:

• HIGH DPS FROST BLADES gameplay
• FAST PACED, WHIRLING BLADES BASED MOVEMENT
• WEARING SHIELD, DUAL CURSING AND REASONABLY CHEAP GEAR
• STRONG DAMAGE MITIGATION* FROM:
- CONSTANT ENFEEBLE
- CONSTANT MOLTEN SHELL
- CONSTANT FORTIFY
- ARCTIC ARMOUR
- SOME ENDURANCE CHARGES

*up to 70% additional damage mitigation, depending on the the type of damage

Pros:
• Relatively Cheap - reasonably good dagger = 2 ex
• Damage Scale with gear
• Above average DPS
• Fast paced gameplay (fun)
• Don´t rely on gear for Leeching
• Main build is Shield based so, more defenses
• Physical reflect don´t affect you
• Probably HC viable (haven't died for a long time now)

Cons:
• Not leveling friendly (it's an endgame build)
• Tooltip DPS will only show a fraction of your real projectile DPS
• Although you can deal with Ele. Reflect, maps with Ele. Reflect mod are not recommended

TREE (91)

• That's a vanilla, jewel free tree. I'm sure it can get interesting with some good jewels.

BANDITS:

• Oak (+40 base life)
• Kraytin (8% Attack Speed)
• Alira (+1 Power charge)

CURRENT GEAR (reference only)
Spoiler

• Lightning Coil or Belly chest for safety (but not essencial)
• Max out your resistances
• Get 4.5k+ life
• Grab a good shield
• Buy a nice dagger, a good rare. (Bino is also cool)
• Add as much crit as you can but DON'T sacrifice your defenses too much
• Wear a DPS helmet (such as Starkonja's or Rat's nest)

MECHANICS:

You'll be mitigating a lot of damage by combining Fortify, Molten Shell, Arctic Armour, Enfeeble and endurance charges.

1) Move around with Fortified Whirling Blades: -
• Whirling Blades + Fortify + CoC + Molten Shell

2) Permanent defenses:
• Enfeeble (from Cwdt + Enfeeble)
• Arctic Armour

3) Free endurance Charges:
• Riposte + Vengeance + Stun + Endurance Charge on Melee Stun

You'll be doing some considerable damage, one-shoting most of the trash mobs up to level 77 maps.

4) Herald of Thunder (for dps) and Second curse (for Power Charges) And Herald of Fire (dps)
• Herald of Thunder + CoH + Assassin's Mark
• Herald of Ash

5) Dps Boost
• Ice Golem
• Blood Rage
• Vaal Haste
• Atziri's Promise

6) Main attack:
• Lightning Strike
• Weapon Elemental Damage
• Multi-strike
• Faster Attacks
• Physical do Lightning
• Added fire damage

Currently playing :: Dual Wield, Yolo Based, Frostblades build.
Spoiler

I started to play dual wield just for fun. I wanted to melt stuff a bit faster, BUT, with some reasonable amount of defenses. I use dual dagger (a rare and a Bino's - but you'll do better with 2 good rares because Bino's regen is barely useful on this build).

The original build is still the main resource for gear and gameplay related data. So check on that for details.

Gameplay video : I believe you would rather see this build on Academy 78 than some Gorge fun map right?

Link:

The tree is slightly adapted:
Spoiler

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwQAAAYDhwUtBX0FtQceC8EMcw2NDkgRlhR1FewV9haqFr8Y2xutIuoj0yP2JP0mlSmlKgss4S1VMHw4lj3RQzFHBkd-SVFKfUz_TZJOKlFHVUtW9VeXW69d8mBBYeJieWKsZU1sjG8ncFJwVnTtdPF1_XsUfXV944DhhG-E2Yd2idOK8Iw2jX2Nv46Kj2CP-pAblLiVLpVml9CaE5pqmy2jiqxmsKuxs7TFtxe5Hbk-vTa-p8LsxILQ0NN-2Hbawdtu29Tb5-Je4tXjn-dU6NbtQe4O8NX8xf66_94=

The Frostblades setup here is oriented to deal more single target damage:
• Frostblades
• Multistrike
• Melee physical damage (will improve the single target only)
• Weapon elemental damage
• Physical to Lighting
• Faster Attacks

Auras became (no more Herald of Thunder/Assassins Mark based power charges):
• Arctic Armour
• Blasphemy based perma Enfeeble
• herald of Ash

Aaand that's it.

Latest vid (dual wield version): https://youtu.be/iYR33n7D3WI

Last edited by junaum on Feb 29, 2016, 5:27:59 AM
Last bumped on Oct 13, 2016, 7:32:38 AM
This is definitely what I've been looking for ever since 2.1 went live. While I have been trying to save it for the release of the next expansion early next year, I'm having a really hard time in doing so due to how bananas it seems to play and could easily be a top contender in the meta game.

I'll likely start this tonight but for future purposes, would you be able to provide a breakdown in regards to leveling? I can follow the points but there are times when I wonder if I should go left or right when a path splits and each provides benefits to specific situations.

Two and a half questions I had in regards to the overall build though:

1) Whether or not it would be viable to pick up Iron Reflexes in place of the Acrobatics tree?
2) If my chances of getting Bino is slim or uncertain, should I still go dagger? Not to take away from your build but would a 2H option with re-adjusted skills (like adder's touch) be a viable option for mid-tier or higher?

Thanks!
Last edited by Messerschmitt on Dec 12, 2015, 11:13:47 PM
What about bandits?:o or am i just too blind to see
"
Messerschmitt wrote:

I'll likely start this tonight but for future purposes, would you be able to provide a breakdown in regards to leveling? I can follow the points but there are times when I wonder if I should go left or right when a path splits and each provides benefits to specific situations.

I would follow the intuitive path. Go straight to Master of the Arena. If by that point you feel squishy, invest in the direction of Art of the Gladiator before goind down the shield+damage stuff.

After that, get intuitive: when you feel like you need more dps, grap the crit nodes in the way. Need to survive, grap HP nodes/leech.

"
Messerschmitt wrote:

Two and a half questions I had in regards to the overall build though:

1) Whether or not it would be viable to pick up Iron Reflexes in place of the Acrobatics tree?
2) If my chances of getting Bino is slim or uncertain, should I still go dagger? Not to take away from your build but would a 2H option with re-adjusted skills (like adder's touch) be a viable option for mid-tier or higher?

1) I would rather keep acrobatics as it works as countermeasure against overhelming magic attacks with it's 30% spell damage dodge. I ended up with 24% Block, 46% dodge, 30% spell dodge.

2) Any good dagger will do. You won't get as much benefit from critical nodes for a 2h weapon as it's base critical is much smaller than daggers.

*** Side note: I'm thinking about testing with Point Blank. I'm also playing around with Inervate and/or Arc socketed on the whirling blades to add some shocking into the mix.
Last edited by junaum on Dec 13, 2015, 7:37:56 AM
hi junaum, nice to see you back.

Very nice looking build you have. I like the purely ele damage aspect.

I suggest you swap HoI with HoT. You get extra light dmg to attacks, and at 20% quality, you get 10% inc lightning damage so it fits better with the theme.

I am a bit confused with the use of bino. Poison damage and the regen are based on physical and chaos damage, so you'd never poison enemies and never regen. I think a rare dagger will work better in this situation.

Have fun on the craft and i look forward to the final version
So many strikes within one breath.
But only one strike needed, for certain death.
"
fiqst wrote:
hi junaum, nice to see you back.

Very nice looking build you have. I like the purely ele damage aspect.

I suggest you swap HoI with HoT. You get extra light dmg to attacks, and at 20% quality, you get 10% inc lightning damage so it fits better with the theme.

I am a bit confused with the use of bino. Poison damage and the regen are based on physical and chaos damage, so you'd never poison enemies and never regen. I think a rare dagger will work better in this situation.

Have fun on the craft and i look forward to the final version

It's nice to be remembered. And great to see you too!

By the way, this project is mostly inspired by your constant work on builds bro.

You are right about the Bino: a rare would do better. But it happen to be my current best owned dagger so... =) There is one thing though: Addler's touch will poison 30% of the time, no matter the of type damage used - will Bino still provide some regen from that?

HoT sounds really cool. I'll have it tested today. Those dogs from the docks will love it.

And since you are here, I'm trying to come up with some good engaging mechanic that provides shock. The base engaging mechanic is Whirling Blads + Fortify, and right now I'm playing around adding CoC + Arc and CoC + Tempest Shield. Innervate came to mind as well. Do you see any creative way to enrich the engagement?

* Tested HoI - I'm thinking about Hoi + CoH + AM + Innervate (as HoI dont shock) - if that works, it could keep onslaught up a significant part of the time - problem is, LS kills too fast lol, HoI have no time to cull them mobs.
Last edited by junaum on Dec 13, 2015, 8:27:07 AM
"
wikro wrote:
What about bandits?:o or am i just too blind to see

Sorry bro, forgot about it. Added.

I'm filling this post as i'm playing with the build so, I expect this thread to be a bit unfriendly until I get the desired gameplay.
From the Wiki

This means that increasing the melee portion of the hit through melee-exclusive means such as Melee Physical Damage will not actually increase the projectile damage; the projectile damage is not "converted melee damage", a common misconception. Do not be deceived by the tooltip DPS of this skill which will change if you apply a melee-exclusive modifier; the tooltip DPS only shows the DPS of the melee portion of the attack and things that modify that, but not the projectile part of the attack.

Did this change in 2.1?

For the projectiles, would added fire damage not be a better option (benefit both the melee attack and the projectiles)? Also, as you whirling blades into packs to trigger fortify, would the Point Blank keystone not be a solid choice?

I like the concept of the build and am playing this in the talisman league (only lvl 19 atm though).

I'm trying to make an evasion version of this build that would use something like this:

LS, MS, AFD, WED, P2L, FA

Would chain / fork be beneficial for clearing trash packs?

Nice build

Really like this build after reading your guide here; I just have a quick question:

Is this ok to start with on the new Talisman league? Will I have any issues with just using Lightning strike from the get-go?
"
Sydin117 wrote:

For the projectiles, would added fire damage not be a better option (benefit both the melee attack and the projectiles)? Also, as you whirling blades into packs to trigger fortify, would the Point Blank keystone not be a solid choice? Would chain / fork be beneficial for clearing trash packs?

Weapon elemental Damage increases 40k dps when replacing Added fire damage. Lightning Strike seems to love elemental damage boosts - specially because we are using Phys to Lightning support gem.

I've tested point blank as well. Loved the shotgun effect it gives. But turns out that this Lightning strike setup is strong enough to snipe stuff off screen - I kind of got used to do that. I believe this is a matter of playstyle (I might get back to it if I keep my fights tighter).

Chain is pretty cool to play with. Perhaps, while leveling, it may even play an important hole. But in the end, you'll just wan't to evaporate whatever gets in your cone, and that costs sockets.

"
Glendoor wrote:

Is this ok to start with on the new Talisman league? Will I have any issues with just using Lightning strike from the get-go?

Not sure bro. But the tree is open to other skill usage. You can play any setup that benefits from critical based damage, while using shield (there are no nodes for elemental damage, so you don't have to stick to LS from the start).

Did some more testing, changed trigger gems setup and golem. Leveled gems got me at 193k toolip dps unbuffed (no frenzy/power charges).
Last edited by junaum on Dec 13, 2015, 9:24:38 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info