Donald Trump

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Christianity has, in general, been tolerated far, far more than it deserves. It gets lenience in society and in US law that I often find unethical and unconstitutional. You have politicians pandering for your favor. What little persecution Christians receive is peanuts compared to a truly disadvantaged group. Enjoy society's favor while you still, for the most part, have it.

Oh yeah, lots of leniency. Gay marriage goes against your conscience and beliefs? Too bad, bake that multicolored dick cake or else be put out of business you bigoted shitlord.

Christians have been easy targets as of late because critics/attackers don't have to worry about Christians raping, beheading, suicide bombing them in response. It's in the Christian doctrine to turn the other cheek and not resort to violence. Not so much in other religions...but anyway.

Politicians pander to every large voting bloc. Women, blacks, Christians, Hispanics, etc. Not a good argument.
For all your up-to-date Path of Exile news and events, check out the official Path of Exile Forum here -------- http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/
"
comm_il_vec wrote:
Oh yeah, lots of leniency. Gay marriage goes against your conscience and beliefs? Too bad, bake that multicolored dick cake or else be put out of business you bigoted shitlord.

Think about what would happen if we let people discriminate based on their beliefs. For example, if someone decided that he/she is agaisnt interracial marriage, so no cake for them. Or no cake for jews. In some places, life for that people can be a lot harder if many people think the same at the same time with different services.

It's forceful, but it's necessary in the long run. Also, for LGBT people is a no brainer; nothing except religious beliefs to justify that. You may think it's wrong to serve those people, but for society at large, we cannot decide from your beliefs, but rather from reason.

It's a thankless balancing act.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on Apr 13, 2016, 11:45:12 AM
Pick one:
1. marriage is a religious sacrament, and as such should not be recognized by the government at all
2. marriage - as recognized by the government - is not a religious sacrament, but a secular civil union to which all should have equal rights

Personally, I lean towards #1. I don't think being married should be recognized by the government at all. While I was in the Army I felt tremendous pressure to get married (they literally pay you more, a lot more, if you do) and even in regular civilian life you get sweet tax breaks. I can understand tax breaks for having children, but the incentive to get married feels very creepy socially conservative to me.

The good news for you would be, if government took their hands off of marriage completely, then each congregation would be free to define it however they so choose. Of course, the next congregation over could define it however they choose, so I guess no matter what you're going to just have to learn to cope with grown men holding each other's hands.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
NeroNoah wrote:
"
comm_il_vec wrote:

Think about what would happen if we let people discriminate based on their beliefs. For example, if someone decided that he/she is agaisnt interracial marriage, so no cake for them. Or no cake for jews.

It's forceful, but it's necessary in the long run.

Nah, the government doesn't get to decide that.

It's a power grab by the Left. Why would you want to be served by an establishment that doesn't want to serve you based on their firmly held religious beliefs? Go somewhere else. It isn't that hard.

Would I expect a Muslim bakery or Jewish bakery to make a cake for me that goes against their beliefs? No. I'd go somewhere else. Hell, maybe the other Muslim bakery down the street doesn't care and is glad to take my business. Capitalism is great!
For all your up-to-date Path of Exile news and events, check out the official Path of Exile Forum here -------- http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/
"
comm_il_vec wrote:
Go somewhere else. It isn't that hard.

Except when it is.

As a matter of principle, discrimination should be discouraged.

I think you don't understand things like market failures (externalities, information asimmetry) in capitalism. Capitalism is not a magic that solves all, so you need stuff like democracy to balance it, and that sometimes means sacrificing the beliefs of some for the good of many.
Last edited by NeroNoah on Apr 13, 2016, 11:49:22 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Pick one:
1. marriage is a religious sacrament, and as such should not be recognized by the government at all
2. marriage - as recognized by the government - is not a religious sacrament, but a secular civil union to which all should have equal rights

Personally, I lean towards #1. I don't think being married should be recognized by the government at all. While I was in the Army I felt tremendous pressure to get married (they literally pay you more, a lot more, if you do) and even in regular civilian life you get sweet tax breaks. I can understand tax breaks for having children, but the incentive to get married feels very creepy socially conservative to me.

The good news for you would be, if government took their hands off of marriage completely, then each congregation would be free to define it however they so choose. Of course, the next congregation over could define it however they choose, so I guess no matter what you're going to just have to learn to cope with grown men holding each other's hands.

I agree. Marriage is a religious covenant between a man, woman, and God. The government can slap a paper with the word "marriage" on it as much as they want. I can slap lipstick on a pig and call it Marilyn Monroe, it still isn't so.

I'm all for equal benefits/rights from the govt for any sort of partnership. But it pisses me off when the Left tries to persecute churches for not performing marriage ceremonies for gays or Christian bakers not making cakes for a gay wedding.
"
Antnee wrote:
It's worth noting, though, that publicly shaming whites just for being white is on the upswing. I wouldn't want to be in a Uni now or in the coming years.

There's this weird Original Sin mentality among far leftists in America that is most definitely rearing it's ugly head outside of the Tumblrverse. No one seems to care about challenging it, because who wants to risk looking racist?
Those who act as if being white is a crime, apparently.

I personally haven't experienced much of this, so I can't vouch that it is indeed on the upswing, but any belief that your skin color matters in any way is racism. For example, Affirmative Action is racism. A complete lack of racism is not caring about ethnicity at all.

I don't think anyone is 0% racist. We notice, despite ourselves; we act on that information, sometimes subconsciously, despite ourselves. But it's a good ideal to strive towards, and I strive to be as unracist as possible.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 13, 2016, 11:52:34 AM
"
NeroNoah wrote:
"
comm_il_vec wrote:
Go somewhere else. It isn't that hard.

Except when it is.

As a matter of principle, discrimination should be discouraged.

I think you don't understand things like market failures (externalities, information asimmetry) in capitalism. Capitalism is not a magic that solves all, so you need stuff like democracy to balance it, and that sometimes means sacrificing the beliefs of some for the good of many.

It solves a lot. People want to make money. People want to spend money. Capitalism affords them an easy way to do so. Oh, a business doesn't want to serve you? There's always another that would gladly take your money.

EDIT:
"
that sometimes means sacrificing the beliefs of some for the good of many.

Lol'd hard.
Last edited by comm_il_vec on Apr 13, 2016, 11:52:18 AM
"
comm_il_vec wrote:
It solves a lot. People want to make money. People want to spend money. Capitalism affords them an easy way to do so. Oh, a business doesn't want to serve you? There's always another that would gladly take your money.

With LGBT people, it could not hurt your pocket to deny services. They are few. Again, capitalism is not magical. Sometimes, it just fails to provide alternatives, specially in the short run.
Last edited by NeroNoah on Apr 13, 2016, 11:53:56 AM
"
NeroNoah wrote:
"
comm_il_vec wrote:

With LGBT people, it could not hurt your pocket to deny services. They are few. Again, capitalism is not magical. Sometimes, it just fails to provide alternatives, specially in the short run.

"
they are few

"
that sometimes means sacrificing the beliefs of some for the good of many.

???

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info