I realized this game is even worse than Diablo 3

"
Ragnar119 wrote:
The game is not worse than d3, but it has some very bad design decisions, similar to what d3 had.

And normally one of the biggest problem is that the drop rates in this game are very bad, as the game is balanced around trading, so the drop rates are very low compared to other arpg games. And in that regard, its even worse than d3, as you can not trade normally in this game without installing some additional programs, and even than, the trading is very bland.

you're so funny :)
Beta Member Since 2010
"
grepman wrote:
"
allbusiness wrote:

Path of Exile still suffers from early CRPG design where if you made the wrong choices, you simply just hit a wall and can't progress (or it is insufferably hard to progress if you don't have outside game knowledge). Most players will not be bothered to look up a guide on how to beat something, and they shouldn't have to

youre saying as it if its a bad thing

there is nothing, I repeat absolutely NOTHING wrong with finding out and learning things through trial and error. thats how you do it in life. and while in life you dont have to jump a cliff to find out its a bad idea, in games thats perfectly feasible- but instead companies try to dumb-down games and make them as idiot-proof as possible

People play video games to avoid life not to engage in life like grind again. Path of Exile is a very poorly design game when it comes to difficulty; it is far too complex/difficult, while not actually being challenging or deep in its gameplay. There are lots of things that the game totally hides from you, for example.....

A. The game never explicitly states how your Evasion/Armor/Damage Reduction actually works. The numbers you see are actually just an average against an average mob at your level, not how it would work against bosses, rares, exiles, or any other mobs with things like Additional Accuracy, Crit, Higher Level, etc; Most of that information has to be looked up, and even then it's iffy as fuck as to what the actual numbers are. So you really never know what your defense is against what mob you are against, thus enforcing a meta of either block or just avoid damage as much as possible. Thus why skills like Cyclone are so good right now. However, there's no way on fucking god's green earth anyone would ever figure that out without extensive reading of the game systems and how they work, and they actually read the forums to figure out that mob spike damage is idiotically high at times for no reason.

B. The game never explicitly tells you that elemental damage for you the player will never reach the same level of damage as a physical damage build (due to the fact that most mobs never reach above like 2k/3k armor, which is basically nothing). However, an inconsistency is that mob elemental damage can reach sky rocketing levels that just blows through your maxed out elemental defense. Why? Because GGG has balanced around the ability to raise the cap of your resistances, but never explicitly tell you that. And really you never encounter this until end game, so either you end up with a dead character, or you lose hours and hours of exp time. Either way, bad game design here too.

C. Lots of inconsistencies with game rules; the player has a ton of game rules enforced upon them like cooldowns, limited traps, etc. yet the mobs never have the same limitations, they can just spam shit out rapidly without fail. Players have to use limited resources to heal, while mobs have a near infinite amount of resources to heal if they have it. Map bosses sometimes have abilities that simply aren't listed, and lots of times said abilities can one shot a player without fail.

D. You never know how much damage you are actually doing versus mobs. So it's really hard to tell or gauge your damage effectiveness versus your effective defense (which again is a hidden number because GGG completely hides everything). So for those who like to min-max against the current meta, it's actually kind of hard, especially if you're going for fastest clear speed while trying to not die.

E. The game never actually explains how currency is actually just gambling; in fact, the game basically says they are 'crafting' which is not true at all. Huge noob trap here into getting noobs to spend their currency blindly.

F. Ridiculous punishing difficulty spikes out of nowhere. The right combination of circumstances or rare mods can either instantly kill you or kill you so quick that you don't have time to react. Burst damage is fine; burst damage that is nearly instantaneous is not, as it's simply unfair. And still too much of that exists in Path of Exile right now, and that's just straight up cheap difficulty and not challenging gameplay.
Last edited by allbusiness on Dec 1, 2015, 10:20:54 PM
1. People have gone to lvl 90+ many many many many many times on HC SSF all the way.

2. Your point, which was fallacious anyway, in no way proved, implied, or indicated, that this game is worse than D3.

3. Have a nice day.
Noblesse oblige
"
Yidam_ wrote:
1. People have gone to lvl 90+ many many many many many times on HC SSF all the way.

2. Your point, which was fallacious anyway, in no way proved, implied, or indicated, that this game is worse than D3.

3. Have a nice day.

What is there to prove? It is obvious to all that this game relies on the same broken trading/auction mechanic that the largest ARPG in a decade admitted was a mistake and removed.

This game is not difficult as others have stated, it is a pseudo-RNG slot machine. There is no skill or ability involved in taking a 1 in 20,000 drop and spending thousands of currency to fix it, the real 'skill' this game teaches if anything is to resist using something waved in your face from the beginning as some great and wonderful crafting item. There is also no such thing as true RNG in computing, which means because they don't use cumulative gains towards progression some people are always going to have extremely higher rates of failure due to hardware and imperfect entropy.

You neck beards have not swayed me one bit, all you have done is foolishly praise a C grade design without acknowledging the flaws. Yeah it might not be a total F design but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be re-examined and fixed as the obvious failures pile up. This game runs like a programming student's final project, not anything worth thousands of hours of 'fun'. The only bursts of fun I've had in hundreds of hours of play is when I start a new character or happen to finally level to a unique that lets me mow down the mobs like grass.. Hardly typical in this game and hardly reproducible without an embarrassing number of hours of your life wasted playing a mediocre game.

I pity all of you who cannot admit this game needs major rework, it is funny that your words pretend you earned and chose the best, but deep down you are all just lazy contented cows who will settle for whatever the farmer shovels into your feed bin.
Spoiler
"
themrpid10 wrote:
"
Yidam_ wrote:

3. Have a nice day.

What is there to prove? It is obvious to all that this game relies on the same broken trading/auction mechanic that the largest ARPG in a decade admitted was a mistake and removed.

This game is not difficult as others have stated, it is a pseudo-RNG slot machine. There is no skill or ability involved in taking a 1 in 20,000 drop and spending thousands of currency to fix it, the real 'skill' this game teaches if anything is to resist using something waved in your face from the beginning as some great and wonderful crafting item. There is also no such thing as true RNG in computing, which means because they don't use cumulative gains towards progression some people are always going to have extremely higher rates of failure due to hardware and imperfect entropy.

You neck beards have not swayed me one bit, all you have done is foolishly praise a C grade design without acknowledging the flaws. Yeah it might not be a total F design but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be re-examined and fixed as the obvious failures pile up. This game runs like a programming student's final project, not anything worth thousands of hours of 'fun'. The only bursts of fun I've had in hundreds of hours of play is when I start a new character or happen to finally level to a unique that lets me mow down the mobs like grass.. Hardly typical in this game and hardly reproducible without an embarrassing number of hours of your life wasted playing a mediocre game.

I pity all of you who cannot admit this game needs major rework, it is funny that your words pretend you earned and chose the best, but deep down you are all just lazy contented cows who will settle for whatever the farmer shovels into your feed bin.

What is there to prove?

You made an assertion, presented your premise and supported it with an argument. Your premise was incorrect, not factual, there is a cornucopia of evidence that directly refutes it. Therefore you are wrong. Its pretty simple.

The irony is nice though, saying you pity those who "waste" hours on the game while you waste hours lamenting your apparent lack of ability to succeed in the supposed "mediocre" game.
Noblesse oblige
"
Yidam_ wrote:
You made an assertion, presented your premise and supported it with an argument. Your premise was incorrect, not factual, there is a cornucopia of evidence that directly refutes it. Therefore you are wrong. Its pretty simple.

The irony is nice though, saying you pity those who "waste" hours on the game while you waste hours lamenting your apparent lack of ability to succeed in the supposed "mediocre" game.

You want me to link Blizzard's apology and show the widely known disgust players had for the game? Just because you're too slow to pick up on common sense doesn't mean it isn't true. I am not wrong and I don't really care what you no lifers have to say on the topic, your biased viewpoints are not the most common sentiment when people try this game out. You are the 1 in 1000 who weren't repulsed by terrible mechanics and didn't know the difference between good design or not. The phone gamers are actually better connoisseurs of games than you are, which is sad.
Its amusing that you dont seem to understand the point you yourself attempted to make. Here is a link to a persons Twitch channel that is currently doing 75+ maps, in hardcore, completely solo and self found, that means no trading.

http://www.twitch.tv/espressocats
Noblesse oblige
Last edited by Yidam_ on Dec 2, 2015, 1:55:20 AM
You seem pretty heated about this themrpid10, and bordering on abusive language in several of your posts. Why not just go enjoy D3 and leave us idiot neckbeard fanboys alone?
"
themrpid10 wrote:
It is impossible to go from 1-70ish and beat all 3 difficulties with self found gear in less than 2 years.

It takes me roughly around 12 hours of gameplay ... every time ... every 1 month race, every league .. always solo, self-found ( i like to play my first char in a league that way )

So, as i see it, there are 3 possible reasons as to why you say what you are saying:
1. You are the single most unlucky person in existence ... and you get 1-2 rare drops per difficulty.
2. You have no idea how to make a build. It sure takes 2 years (if ever) to beat all 3 difficulties with Lightning warp duelist build.
3. You are simply lying.

"
themrpid10 wrote:
People like to badmouth the auction system Diablo 3 had but without it you couldn't progress in that game either.

As for this statement ... well ... it can be answered absolutely the same way as the above quote from you - just change Lightning Warp with Teleport + Calamity

And i'll just leave this quote here ( i know that you won't understand what's wrong with what you are saying but most of the people who read this will .. and will have a chuckle or two ):

"
themrpid10 wrote:
I am not wrong and I don't really care what you no lifers have to say on the topic, your biased viewpoints...

"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Last edited by KorgothBG on Dec 2, 2015, 4:31:30 AM
"
themrpid10 wrote:

True words!

Trolls never accept it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info