Video Game Addiction

I found this on Reddit and it hits home for me:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GetMotivated/comments/3trzm7/storythe_story_of_how_i_overcame_my_video_game/

I have probably "lost" five years of my life to video games. I understand that there are those who are bedridden or have disabilities where video games are an amazing outlet; but, for those who suffer from depression (which can be a disability), this activity can be the cause or it can make it worse.

Personally, I think I have hit a turning point in my life (prior to this Reddit post) where you realize that the most incredible "video game" is this bizarre world we live in and drowning out the difficult times in our lives with poor, unnatural substitutes can cause major problems for some/most people.

This is the only video game forum that I have been active in (somewhat active recently), so I thought I would post this here. Let me know what you guys think. I'm sure there will be some hate, but just remember to be a little introspective. I'll definitely get some hate from new, naive gamers or casual gamers that have self-control, but I bet this hits home more often than it doesn't.

This will probably be my last thread in the POE forums. Good luck everybody.

Edit: I also think that the video game industry is well aware of the addictive aspects of video games and use certain tricks to prey on people.
Last edited by robertredberry on Nov 22, 2015, 9:19:28 PM
5 years? That's all? Heh... been playing these things since the 70s.
Aren't you a professor or a teacher? You have a life.

Edit: The five years is an estimate of my wasted time or time that I will never get back that could have been spent getting a doctorate or starting a business... been playing video games for much longer.
Last edited by robertredberry on Nov 22, 2015, 9:06:53 PM
Yep. Wife and a cat too. No kids.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Yep. Wife and a cat too. No kids.

Do you regret not having kids? I'm at the point in my life where I also need to make a decision about that.
I can understand the situation on that reddit post but I don't relate to it at all, which I find relieving. I was worried I would totally relate and find out I truly am addicted. But as it turns out, I enjoy many other things other than gaming, I have lots of friends who do not play games, I have a girlfriend with whom I spend time and share good moments everyday, I have a job to which I am dedicated.

I do get really into video games from time to time and play for many hours, but I never really let it get to the point where it's damaging the rest of my life.

I kinda feel better for having read that. It's good that the guy found a way to become a better person and I feel good that I'm not in that situation.
I don't have a life and that's a conscious decision unrelated to gaming, so i am not bothered by the repercussions of that.

But i can see why people who desire a lot of things and aspire to them to grow a slow but steady hatred towards the activity that prevents them from attaining that goal.

Pursue happiness, everything else is irrelevant. But in order to pursue, a goal is required. And a goal fueled by motivation is only attained when it is reinforced by body and mind together.
A thing only accomplished if you are honest with yourself.

A good read and i hope it helps other people on-wards to a better life if they require it.

Peace,

-Boem-

Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Spoiler
"
I can understand the situation on that reddit post but I don't relate to it at all, which I find relieving. I was worried I would totally relate and find out I truly am addicted. But as it turns out, I enjoy many other things other than gaming, I have lots of friends who do not play games, I have a girlfriend with whom I spend time and share good moments everyday, I have a job to which I am dedicated.

I do get really into video games from time to time and play for many hours, but I never really let it get to the point where it's damaging the rest of my life.

I kinda feel better for having read that. It's good that the guy found a way to become a better person and I feel good that I'm not in that situation.

That's good, man. Just a warning, though; I used to be like you, but it turned into major depression. I think some people are more susceptible to depression than others. If you're in college it is easy to be social and game at the same time. IDK if that applies to you, though.
Last edited by robertredberry on Nov 22, 2015, 9:32:43 PM
Honestly, if I weren't so absolutely broke as a college student I wouldn't play as much as I do.

I mean, I plop a chunk on the counter, get the game, and from that have something to do for weeks or more with little to no further investment from me.

If I did have money, I'd be out doing the things I love but can't afford. Hunting, fishing, camping, etc.
Spoiler
"
PoofGoof wrote:
Honestly, if I weren't so absolutely broke as a college student I wouldn't play as much as I do.

I mean, I plop a chunk on the counter, get the game, and from that have something to do for weeks or more with little to no further investment from me.

If I did have money, I'd be out doing the things I love but can't afford. Hunting, fishing, camping, etc.

You could go make some money...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info