What is the counter balance to ascendant classes?

I'm hoping they take it out on gear when it comes to balancing out the crazy damage increases ascendancy classes provide. Lower base crit chance on weapons/gems. Maybe lower base damage too.

I hope they take a light touch when it comes to balancing out the ascendancy defensive bonuses because defense right now needs work.

I really don't want to see them take the nerf hammer to the main passive tree though as that would drastically dumb down theorycrafting and take a lot of the fun out of one of PoE's most unique and interesting features. Ascendency classes may be cool, but mechanically speaking they are extremely mainstream compared to the passive tree.
Last edited by DichotomousThree on Nov 23, 2015, 8:51:03 PM
Lol you dont think we are going to come out ahead after the changes do you?

No they will nerf the standard tree to account for the extra passives id expect quite a hard nerf too given how strong the new passives are.
Making class choice linked to build choice even more vital to a successful build as i large part of your power will come from that synergy.
"Blue warrior shot the food"
I'm hoping that build variety comes out ahead but I don't want things to become so skewed in favor of ascendancy classes that you go ascendancy for offense, all normal passives into defense or something braindead like that. From my perspective, it would be better for them to balance ascendancy classes against gear than against the tree.
"
I'm hoping that build variety comes out ahead but I don't want things to become so skewed in favor of ascendancy classes that you go ascendancy for offense, all normal passives into defense or something braindead like that. From my perspective, it would be better for them to balance ascendancy classes against gear than against the tree.

I dont think they could balance against gear as not every-one has the same gear and legacy gear would be a real problem.

I think you hit the nail on the head saying that the standard tree with be for defence/utility and the Ascendency passives with be for dps and flavour.
"Blue warrior shot the food"
Dunno what they're going to do... but "balance" ain't happening.
If anything they need to nerf all maps... any lvl map should not be able to kill a lvl 90 if he has gear on

I run lower lvl maps and i still die in them when im 20+ lvls above them the mobs are to hard.
"
Lynerus wrote:
If anything they need to nerf all maps... any lvl map should not be able to kill a lvl 90 if he has gear on

I run lower lvl maps and i still die in them when im 20+ lvls above them the mobs are to hard.

The issue here isn't the mob difficulty. It's that beyond a certain point, leveling only gives very minimal benefits. You hardly gain anything at all just from leveling on its own. The main benefits of leveling are access to better gear and more passive points. But even then, by level 80, you probably already have all the important nodes for your build and the only thing you're adding are a few more life or damage nodes. You also already have access to the highest level gear. So there won't be THAT much difference.

And I'd also say that yes, you SHOULD still be able to die in lower level content(otherwise, there'd be no challenge anymore), though it is probably a bit too easy to do so now. It should still be possible to die even 20+ levels above, but you should have to make a fairly major mistake to do so, not simply blink at the wrong time...
I hope its moar monster hp
possibly moar monster damage (elemental damage this time around)

higher areas too (but this reeks of big power creep so need to tread lightly)
I really hope the existing tree is not nerfed as hard as people think it will be.

Giving someone cookies but demanding a leg for it afterwards rarely leaves a pleasant aftertaste. The worst thing I could imagine is removing all but 3 crit nodes and forcing you to go crit shadow ascendancy to be able to crit or removal nearly all block nodes and forcing you to go tank duelist to achieve any reasonable amount of block total.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Last edited by Nephalim on Nov 24, 2015, 1:15:31 AM
"
I'm guessing that they are going to nerf the tree. Right now a standard node may give you 20% crit or 2-3% block or 10-15% phys damage. With the new ascendant nodes, I suspect many of these nodes will be nerfed so that you won't be able to easily cap your block or crit or scale really high phys damage.

Overall I think balancing so many types of monsters and map mods around a changing skill tree is really hard. They obviously did not do a good job of balancing monsters/bosses after a long 2.0 close beta and the tree was not even that different. It's much easier to just balance trees so that after buffing part of the tree and nerfing another part, most builds will remain relatively the same. They now released the buff part first to create some hype so people will be excited and buy their packages. Then they release the nerf....

Again, this is just my guess.

I do not think, that they are going to reduce passive nodes that much if at all, because that would make other classes not able to stack as much crit as they were before. If that would happen, then current concerns would become very real issues, when only shadow is going to be able to have sufficient crit chance for builds to work.
Last edited by laminarija on Nov 24, 2015, 1:30:31 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info