Path of Exile: Ascendancy (News Coverage)

I've been curious about HC too, but it'll probably be like all things HC - do it when you're ready, take as little risk as possible and embrace the extra challenge.
I'm more worried about traps doing exclusive physical damage. This will be even worse if you can't block/evade/dodge the damage - a meta that is already armor focused will become (logically) even more so. We'll see...
Assuming merciless labyrinths are lvl 63-75 (do we know yet what they are?), a HC player will have to be overlevelled etc, like they really should be anyway for most content.
That's the best news after the ones about 2.0!! I can't believe in my eyes! It's something I really wanted (and I guess many people did) especially for the class system! The trap system is also SICK!!! a true challenge!

HC users stop whinning please. You know, even the 1st day it will be released a lot of people will easily complete everything. Since they can, all can. Just be patient and join when ready. This is what I will do too.

GG again GGG!!!
**really insanely OVERHYPED!!!!**
CI >> Life
Last edited by sonafab on Nov 22, 2015, 9:29:17 AM
"
Hatstick wrote:
I only play HC and yes, thats a really big Point... die to a trap for me its very boring...

For me, the Trap Dungeons only good for Atziri Farmer to have new Content/Challenge, but for the 0815 League/Season Farmer skip that Content, when possible in HC.

But it'll not be possible to skip this content if you want (and you'll) the powers of the sub-class.

In the vidéo it seem that if you stay in contact with the trap you'll die whatever your defenses. lag, desynch, isp fail could all induce some kind of freeze effect that all seem to be able to rip you.

... nothing
Well imo the monster damage has gone wild in the last patch. Only of you run the same safe content you can level past 93 now.
Seeing that they add more unprectictable physical damage and they limit build diversity is no good news for me.
It sounds good at first until you die from a spike or trap and a blue mob in essentialy one shot.
Not my idea of fun anymore.
looks great...but when will u fix the lag? lol
"
SerahWint wrote:
And if I had access to all new classes I would have even more build diversity... See my point now?

I don't get at all why all this is so very hard to grasp. Can you fill me in?
And yea, even Ziggy missed the point... The game is going to get balanced around these new abilities.

I'll repeat myself. You're looking at other Ascendance classes because you're thinking about efficiency and convenience, not build diversity. Several point difference between Templar and Witch in core build doesn't make it a different build, it simply improves efficiency.
If you grant every class access to every Ascendance class you'll end up with same exact number of builds because you're going to pick the best Ascendance class that suits your build and since both Templar and Witch is using same build, both of these two will pick same Ascendance class because it's "the best" for that build. We could argue this point all day long, but we don't need expansion to see this happening already.
By having unique set of Ascendance classes available to each class you can have same core build with different twists and you'll choose your starting class based on what twist suites your gameplay/needs best. Is it possible that one twist will be less efficient than the other? That's possible. But maybe that difference will force making some adjustments to your core build thus creating a more efficient version of it?
It's all a speculation right now, but please don't say "diversity" when you mean "efficiency".
"
laminarija wrote:
"
SerahWint wrote:
And if I had access to all new classes I would have even more build diversity... See my point now?

I don't get at all why all this is so very hard to grasp. Can you fill me in?
And yea, even Ziggy missed the point... The game is going to get balanced around these new abilities.

I'll repeat myself. You're looking at other Ascendance classes because you're thinking about efficiency and convenience, not build diversity. Several point difference between Templar and Witch in core build doesn't make it a different build, it simply improves efficiency.
If you grant every class access to every Ascendance class you'll end up with same exact number of builds because you're going to pick the best Ascendance class that suits your build and since both Templar and Witch is using same build, both of these two will pick same Ascendance class because it's "the best" for that build. We could argue this point all day long, but we don't need expansion to see this happening already.
By having unique set of Ascendance classes available to each class you can have same core build with different twists and you'll choose your starting class based on what twist suites your gameplay/needs best. Is it possible that one twist will be less efficient than the other? That's possible. But maybe that difference will force making some adjustments to your core build thus creating a more efficient version of it?
It's all a speculation right now, but please don't say "diversity" when you mean "efficiency".

You know what? I give up... This isn't a good way to have this discussion to start with.
Hopefully we can have Project TP on the Podcast and have them really go at it for an hours.
Since there seems to be such a huge chasm on this topic. And we talk past each other a lot here. You seem to mean one thing and me another. And we both might not be getting it.
I really don't know.

...I guess it comes down to playstyle after all. Some of us like the flexibility. Its why we came to the game to begin with. Some of us don't minmax, but go for a more thematic build.
Toying with different ideas. Why have all these tools for build diversity in the game, if most of it will end up becoming unviable?

Its just a such a lost opportunity to me. Im not sure if this makes any sense to you(I mean that in a non offensive way btw)
"
__Z__ wrote:
Honestly I just begin to play HC and like it, but did you really think that I want to die because I stay less than one second on spiked trap ?
This is seriously not fun, not heroic to die in HC just because you encounter a lag spike or your isp just jaunt for a second ?
I accept to die when I fight for my life, but this is an entirely diferent game where you risk to die on each step/misstep on an online game ?.. Obviously Ascension seem very interesting from a SC perpectiva, but seem absolutely not designed with HC in mind...

I hope it's not that, but I really fear that it ll be the end of HC that was sufficiently deadly already.

Feeling about that HC people ?

theres a chance it wont work like that.

Ive only briefly watched the coverage videos once, so Im not entirely sure how it works. But Ill tell you about an area in I think Grim Dawn? They have a rougelike dungeon where you enter and you have 1 shot at the dungeon, if you die you are ported back outside. I dont think the death counts as an actual death in hardcore mode. The thing is like a contained zone with its own set of rules the way PvP is, you can die in PvP right? I dont play it but I presume you can die in hc 5 times in a row in a PvP match and still walk out and be in hc league not standard because its a separate little environment? I dont know how this dungeon works but the way they were talking about the air lock zone at the start etc makes me wonder if this will work like that. If you die you get ported back out to the air lock zone and have to start again but thats all it is.

Maybe not I dunno.
I can't believe how awesome this is. Every time I expect a new league with some new unique items, gems and passive tree, you come up with a huge gameplay expansion. Love it. Love your work. It's awesome how to push it further everytime!
I'm not trying to be offensive I just trying to understand why people complain that much. If you're not minmaxing you should be least concerned about this change, because you still get more choices than before and not less.
Others simply overreact because most of them look at a specific nodes and think how that would affect their existing builds and forget about new possibilities.
There was a very good example of a bow Duelist in one of previous pages. While as a Duelist you don't have access to all those bow/projectile nodes from Ranger ascendancies, you get permanent Fortify that allows you to reduce number of defensives nodes you need in your passive tree and use more of the offensives ones instead. And if we agree with PTs point that 10 points can make or break a build, then it's quite likely you don't need access to Rangers ascendancy classes, because you now have several spare points that can "make" your build work :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info