Think I figured out the skill-gem lore

Why the hell would you necro this thread after 2 years. So, so much outdated and false info in this thread.

As the above poster mentioned, it all started with Zerphi. Whatever he was doing, it was the underlying demonic ritual that gems are based on. He figured out how to harvest the energy of life, death, and suffering. Through experiments, Atziri basically discovered how to create batteries for this energy - the gems. They store, refine, and concentrate it.

But then she took it a thousand steps too far. "Either immortality for all or death for all" is a line on Doryani's Catalyst. She had Doryani gather all the gems into Doryani's Cradle and perform a "Communion". "You never know who will answer" is a line on some unique item relating to this event. The Vaal Oversoul was probably a beta test of this process, or the process of creating gems. It's all very vague, but the implication is that the so-called Nightmare answered - obviously some kind of demon - and unleashed the first cataclysm in exchange for Atziri's immortality. Nightmare eats nearly every Vaal citizen -> grows stronger, gains small amount of influence on material plane, but still not enough.

Time passes, Eternal Empire mines the location of Doryani's Cradle, finds buried gems. They figure out using gems bestows a certain amount of power, but implanting them makes them superhuman. Then Maligaro uses the reverie device in the Chamber of Sins to discover that virtue gems contain souls, and again decides to take things a thousand steps too far. Instead of merely implanting gems, he extracts their essence and injects it directly. Just as implanting has more effect than wearing, injecting has more effect than implanting. Unfortunately, their mutagenic qualities are magnified as well. As someone said, it really is a lot like Fullmetal Alchemist. Alchemists could hold and use Philosopher's Stones without danger, but injecting a stone is what created Bradley - after hundreds of fatal failures.

Then the Purity Rebellion happens. Voll wins, but most Eternal citizens already have surgically implanted gems, and he can't just remove them all or make them illegal (backed up by comic issue #3, which shows gemling citizens existing after the Rebellion). So he makes a deal with the devil, so to speak, and enlists Malachai to find a way to remotely turn off all gems everywhere. Malachai creates the machine called The Twist, described by Dialla. They take it to Doryani's Cradle in Highgate, and activate it. Dialla's dialogue implies that SHE was the equivalent of the gem trove Aztiri brought together (which a Vaal letter says also contained living people "stuffed" with gems) - Dialla mentions being full of gems, whereas other gemlings seemed to only have one. Malachai intended to sacrifice her, just as Atziri did, to make a deal with the Nightmare. In this case, the deal was for a negation of magic, rather than immortality. But she said no, and as a result the machine/Nightmare backfired. Instead of negating magic, it allowed the Nightmare to remotely devour the life of every gemling, in much the same way as it did with the Vaal. All that was left were zombies.

This second Cataclysm gave the Nightmare enough power to finally affect Wraeclast directly. This was the Black Storm that gets mentioned often - it raised the dead, drove mortals insane, and mutated the wildlife. High level Tora dialogue mentions that something intelligent had mutated the wildlife and accelerated their growth/reproduction in order to create bloodshed and suffering on a grand and unnatural scale, for an unknown purpose.

The purpose is simple, and obvious. The Nightmare is harvesting the power of death the same way Zerphi did, but on a continental scale. Whatever we see in Act 4 won't be pretty. For all we know the Nightmare IS Zerphi, in a disembodied/ascended state. Maybe that was the goal of his ritual killings all along.

Marveil could be explained using the radiation analogy. Virtue gems are clearly magically 'radioactive', warping reality and biology within a radius, with some being far more powerful and mutagenic than others (Baleful Gem being the equivalent of a tiny Chernobyl, etc). Marveil's was likely more radioactive than most gems, either from its point of creation or as a result of still being inside someone DURING the process that made them Undying. The gems players use may not have actually ever been inside anyone, and are thus less damaged/corrupted.

There's also the strong possibility that the exiles that use gems ARE being mutated. I mean, think of how inhumanly fast a high level character can move and attack, even without any gems or equipment. The skill tree, then, could in fact be representative (at least in part) of the mutation process. The longer we're on Wraeclast, the more powerful and inhuman we become. It may take a lifetime, but it's possible all exiles end up as monsters eventually.
Last edited by MaraWuti on Jan 30, 2015, 6:39:35 AM
"
MaraWuti wrote:
Why the hell would you necro this thread after 2 years. So, so much outdated and false info in this thread.

As the above poster mentioned, it all started with Zerphi. Whatever he was doing, it was the underlying demonic ritual that gems are based on. He figured out how to harvest the energy of life, death, and suffering. Through experiments, Atziri basically discovered how to create batteries for this energy - the gems. They store, refine, and concentrate it.

But then she took it a thousand steps too far. "Either immortality for all or death for all" is a line on Doryani's Catalyst. She had Doryani gather all the gems into Doryani's Cradle and perform a "Communion". "You never know who will answer" is a line on some unique item relating to this event. The Vaal Oversoul was probably a beta test of this process, or the process of creating gems. It's all very vague, but the implication is that the so-called Nightmare answered - obviously some kind of demon - and unleashed the first cataclysm in exchange for Atziri's immortality. Nightmare eats nearly every Vaal citizen -> grows stronger, gains small amount of influence on material plane, but still not enough.

Time passes, Eternal Empire mines the location of Doryani's Cradle, finds buried gems. They figure out using gems bestows a certain amount of power, but implanting them makes them superhuman. Then Maligaro uses the reverie device in the Chamber of Sins to discover that virtue gems contain souls, and again decides to take things a thousand steps too far. Instead of merely implanting gems, he extracts their essence and injects it directly. Just as implanting has more effect than wearing, injecting has more effect than implanting. Unfortunately, their mutagenic qualities are magnified as well. As someone said, it really is a lot like Fullmetal Alchemist. Alchemists could hold and use Philosopher's Stones without danger, but injecting a stone is what created Bradley - after hundreds of fatal failures.

Then the Purity Rebellion happens. Voll wins, but most Eternal citizens already have surgically implanted gems, and he can't just remove them all or make them illegal (backed up by comic issue #3, which shows gemling citizens existing after the Rebellion). So he makes a deal with the devil, so to speak, and enlists Malachai to find a way to remotely turn off all gems everywhere. Malachai creates the machine called The Twist, described by Dialla. They take it to Doryani's Cradle in Highgate, and activate it. Dialla's dialogue implies that SHE was the equivalent of the gem trove Aztiri brought together (which a Vaal letter says also contained living people "stuffed" with gems) - Dialla mentions being full of gems, whereas other gemlings seemed to only have one. Malachai intended to sacrifice her, just as Atziri did, to make a deal with the Nightmare. In this case, the deal was for a negation of magic, rather than immortality. But she said no, and as a result the machine/Nightmare backfired. Instead of negating magic, it allowed the Nightmare to remotely devour the life of every gemling, in much the same way as it did with the Vaal. All that was left were zombies.

This second Cataclysm gave the Nightmare enough power to finally affect Wraeclast directly. This was the Black Storm that gets mentioned often - it raised the dead, drove mortals insane, and mutated the wildlife. High level Tora dialogue mentions that something intelligent had mutated the wildlife and accelerated their growth/reproduction in order to create bloodshed and suffering on a grand and unnatural scale, for an unknown purpose.

The purpose is simple, and obvious. The Nightmare is harvesting the power of death the same way Zerphi did, but on a continental scale. Whatever we see in Act 4 won't be pretty. For all we know the Nightmare IS Zerphi, in a disembodied/ascended state. Maybe that was the goal of his ritual killings all along.

Marveil could be explained using the radiation analogy. Virtue gems are clearly magically 'radioactive', warping reality and biology within a radius, with some being far more powerful and mutagenic than others (Baleful Gem being the equivalent of a tiny Chernobyl, etc). Marveil's was likely more radioactive than most gems, either from its point of creation or as a result of still being inside someone DURING the process that made them Undying. The gems players use may not have actually ever been inside anyone, and are thus less damaged/corrupted.

There's also the strong possibility that the exiles that use gems ARE being mutated. I mean, think of how inhumanly fast a high level character can move and attack, even without any gems or equipment. The skill tree, then, could in fact be representative (at least in part) of the mutation process. The longer we're on Wraeclast, the more powerful and inhuman we become. It may take a lifetime, but it's possible all exiles end up as monsters eventually.

Sorry for reviving the thread but at least it's thanks to that you've enlightened me ;D

I've gotta say that really clarified things for me.
"You're an Exile, Harry!"
MaraWuti ... that ... was ... awesome!
Thank you so much for that info!
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
"
MaraWuti wrote:

It seems a few people look at the lore into a deeper meaning than just me, I can't disagree with much of any of this because I pick up the same feelings whenever I read through the game lore spread around. I wonder who made the Lodestones that seem to slow down the corruption in Zana's missions?
Wanted to add some lore that answers some questions..

This comes from Vorici, the master. (I'm only level 5, so more at higher levels.)

Virtue gems:
"Virtue Gems are so called because they imbue the mundane sack of humaity with virtues normally reserved for the divine. Ten-fold when the gem is embedded into the flesh and bone rather than a tool of trade.

Melding of man and gem... that's a bit of a lost science. The proper fitting of tool with gem however, that can still be mastered by those few with the intellect to fathom it."

Origins of the Virtue gems:

"The Highgate Mines, that's where the vitue gems originated. At the head of the Grantori Vitalis, the aqueduct that runs north from Sarn to the mountains.

I procured a few shipping manifests from the docks. The gems were chipped out the heart of the mountains, and delivered to Sarn by the ton.

But from whence the gems derivie their power? Though I am loathe to admit it, even I don't know the answer to that one."

waaaaaaat
IGN: Sunovavitch or Rubbahlegs or Bonour
I clearly remember the gems being made from the blood of a beast that lives in the nightmare. I think the act 4 boss will be said beast. There is also the golden books that mention the vaal and eternal empire contacting something from a different world "other than god" again it sounds like the beast.

The cataclysm was probably caused by said monster possessing all the fools that implanted its crystallized blood inside of them.
Creator of the Praxis ring.
Want to stop power creep? Gut crit chance and crit multi.
"
MaraWuti wrote:
The longer we're on Wraeclast, the more powerful and inhuman we become. It may take a lifetime, but it's possible all exiles end up as monsters eventually.

My theory is that player-controlled exiles are "special" from the very start, but I doubt it's affected by gems.

This is evidenced by 2 dialogues, Eramir's and undead Fairgraves'.
When you give all pieces of the Apex to Eramir, when you recieve a passive point he says "For a moment you appeared as something completely different, I'm not afraid to admit it, a rather unnerving version of yourself."
When you give Chitus' Plum and Decanter Spiritus to Fairgraves, he finishes his dialogue with "What are you? No... you cannot be... I will... not..."

Now, these things could be attributed to different things but in my opinion they make sense as a whole.
"
gabeshave wrote:
waaaaaaat

The necroing starts here...again.
"
"
gabeshave wrote:
waaaaaaat

The necroing starts here...again.

Nothing Necro about the gems' source of power. If the gems were human powered, they wouldn't corrupt people, any more than a surfeit of poetry, or mathematics would corrupt someone.

The real question is whether the collective gems come from a single source (entity) or multiple sources? If it is multiple powerful entities, than the competing and varying natures of the gems can be understood, as their source entities are competing with each other for control over the human realm.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info