Challenge League Post-mortems

"
Chris wrote:

Players don't switch between the two concurrent challenge leagues as much as we had hoped. Most players just pick one and stick to it, missing out on the experience of the other. Combined with the intense development cycles of these leagues and the fact that we want to continue to push the amount of content they contain, we have decided to change the structure of the next leagues.

When the next challenge league starts, there will be both a Standard and Hardcore version of it, with overlapping but slightly different content. The new league represents more effort than we put into any previous league, which is possible because we're not developing two completely different leagues simultaneously. It's too early to talk about specifics of this league, but we'll probably be announcing it alongside other new content later this year.

great point!
i assume you wont release any exact statistics on who played what but it does seem very logical and a great move to stick with just 1 type of league that you can develop on since theres not enough that plays both anyway
I started on Ambush/Invasion. Leagues are awesome. I think only a pair lasted 4 months :(
well cant wait to new league
Good to hear GGG's point of view on these topics, even as a long time standard player it's good to hear that GGG is working on creating better leagues, maybe even one good enough to draw me out of standard.
"
ColoredImages wrote:
Good to hear GGG's point of view on these topics, even as a long time standard player it's good to hear that GGG is working on creating better leagues, maybe even one good enough to draw me out of standard.

I know what you mean.

I tend to level 1 character in a new league to anywhere between level 30 and 50. It's enough to get a feel for what may be added to Standard later.

Have not had a league hold onto me yet.
About time they use the same content for hardcore and soft core. One awesome league sounds better than two okay ones.
"ran out of high teir maps to leave on the ground - people kept taking the higher teirs" - Da Pagionator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T31clJn_oNQ
"
About time they use the same content for hardcore and soft core. One awesome league sounds better than two okay ones.

Or what usually happens, one group that gets the awesomesauce league and one that gets the meh one.
Great post Chris!.

"
Chris wrote:
Over the last year, challenge leagues have started to take more and more of our development resources. They're basically a mini-expansion unto themselves. Expectations for content in challenge leagues have risen. If we released a league that just contained a numeric balance change like Onslaught, it would compare extremely poorly to leagues that had a lot of new content like Ambush or Torment.

Players don't switch between the two concurrent challenge leagues as much as we had hoped. Most players just pick one and stick to it, missing out on the experience of the other. Combined with the intense development cycles of these leagues and the fact that we want to continue to push the amount of content they contain, we have decided to change the structure of the next leagues.

When the next challenge league starts, there will be both a Standard and Hardcore version of it, with overlapping but slightly different content. The new league represents more effort than we put into any previous league, which is possible because we're not developing two completely different leagues simultaneously. It's too early to talk about specifics of this league, but we'll probably be announcing it alongside other new content later this year.

First: excellent idea.

That being said, I think that long term you'll have to consider working over existing leagues to be more efficient. Do you have in mind how much time you want to still doing leagues from scratch?

The resources on the leagues could go to the core game, rather than something that could fail and end as a Zana mod that not a lot of people would touch.

Also, some leagues deserve a little more polish or expansions, like Beyond (so the monsters actually look eldritch rather than copypasted, and we can know more about the demons, fight more of them, or even go to their homeworld (?)).
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on Oct 8, 2015, 10:45:10 PM
Next leagues will be announced "later this year" ?!?

Is there going to be a long'ish pause in temp leagues or what? not that I mind since I play both temp and perm leagues but some might get upset.
Who Are We? Where do we come from?
I like those articles a lot, well done GGG

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info