[2.0] Wukong - Acrobatics Crit Staff: Wild - Lightning - Flicker Strike & More (w/ MF and Atziri)

resized from LoL site

Disclaimer: With Acrobatics and Flicker Strike, this is a very mechanically advanced build to learn.

About the Build
Endgame
Skills
How to Gear Up
Bandits and Skill Tree Progression
Magic Find
Atziri & Endgame Content
Credits
End notes (Physical defense, Mana)

About the Build

This is a versatile build.

Because it is a crit-based 2H build, you can use any melee skill and still do lots of damage.

With acrobatics providing the bulk of its defense, it takes barely any currency (<1 ex) to be effective.

Due to how flexible this build is, it takes time to learn and play to its full potential.

Pros and Cons

Pros:
Engaging playstyle
Extremely versatile: won't be bored being stuck with one or two attack skills
Killing a pack of mobs lights you up like a Christmas Tree
Critical strikes passively generate Power and Endurance Charges.
Insanely high solo MF
100k+ endgame flicker dps (w/o Abyssus)
Solo any Invasion or Beyond boss (including Abathox)

Cons:
High mechanical skill cap for flicker strike
Requires active playstyle/habit
NOT beginner-friendly
About the author
I always loved flicker strike for its awesome late-game potential (one of my past guides) and 2H staff flicker is arguably the strongest variant of crit-based flicker strike builds that I have played.

Unlike 1h crit builds, this is strong throughout all stages of the game because it uses acrobatics and a 2h weapon. It does decent damage even with a 4L and acrobatics provides tons of defense without gear. As a result, this has been my smoothest experience of building a flicker-strike character from scratch.

Endgame
In progress: I still have a lot to do before I reach the actual endgame for this build (only using a 5L staff).

current gear
140k Flicker Strike for long boss fights
Includes Taste of Hate flask
Defenses
1. Arctic Armor and Taste of Hate not included in picture.
2. Endurance charges are generated by the Smashing Strikes crit staff passive.

In Progress

6L the Hegemony's Era
Better rares
Finish crafting redblade rares:

Skills
1. No flasks used in pictures. I don't want to just show off crazy dps numbers. I also included the dps at midgame.

2. Do not be discouraged by the midgame-endgame gap, endgame gear will come naturally: refer to the How to Gear Up and Magic Find section.

Because the build is very versatile with the attacks it can use, these are 2 solid choices to start with.
Cyclone + Melee Physical Damage + Fortify/Weapon Elemental Damage + Added Fire Damage + Increased Aoe/Concentrated Effect/Increased Critical Damage

18,000 - 42,500 dps

Ice Crash + Faster Attacks + Fortify/Added Fire Damage + Weapon Elemental Damage + Increased Aoe/Concentrated Effect/Increased Critical Damage

24,000 - 60,000 dps

As your gear improves, you can use more skills effectively.
Wild Strike + Multistrike + Fortify/Added Fire Damage + Weapon Elemental Damage + Increased Critical Damage/Physical to Lightning

26,700 - 60,000 dps*
*tooltip does not include the 60% converted random elemental damage*
Wild strike is worse than Reave overall, but it looks cooler with its elemental damage. Also, unlike reave, it is usable with a 2H weapon.

Lightning Strike + Multistrike + Lesser Multiple Projectiles + Weapon Elemental Damage + Increased Critical Damage/Physical to Lightning

33,500 - 52,300 dps
Lightning Strike's AoE dps is 70% of its tooltip dps.

Bring out flicker strike for some solo fun and excitement.
Flicker Strike + Multistrike + Melee Splash + Melee Physical Damage + Increased Critical Damage

38,750 - 83,500 AoE dps

(Lv52) Cast when Damage Taken + Immortal Call + Increased Duration (+ Frost Wall/Temporal Chains)
This build generates endurance charges with the staff crit passive (buffs Immortal Call).

Go with lv52 combo so you can build up some endurance charges before it triggers.
Frost wall is useful when flickering.
Temporal Chains gives you more time to react by slowing down the next wave of damage.
Decoy Totem
Extremely important for endgame content. It lets you safely kill slow, hard-hitting bosses. Also, decoys are part of the trickster-style gameplay.
Herald of Ice/Herald of Thunder + Curse on Hit + Assassin's Mark
Herald of Thunder is more reliable while Herald of Ice gives more clear speed. This combo is not as important at endgame because the Smashing Strikes crit staff passive synergizes with Hegemony's Era to generate Power Charges.
Leap Slam + Frenzy + Fortify + (Power Charge on Critical + Faster Attacks)
Play smart to keep Fortify up. With Fortify, you will actually be safer jumping in than staying out (sometimes).

Rest of the gems:
Hatred
Ice Golem
Blood Rage
Arctic Armor: extra defense for endgame content

How to Gear Up
When starting out, ignore crit and just go for the highest dps 2h weapon available.

By level 65, you will want to start looking into Blood Dance boots, a 300+ pdps 7%+ crit staff, and one 5-link. For everything else, just make sure resistances are capped, and pick up ~400 accuracy along the way.
Sample weapon

Once you have the above, focus on incremental improvements, starting with the weapon.
My midgame, semi-MF gear (used in screenshots)

Finally, at endgame you will want:
1. Hegemony's Era (or a 500+ pdps crit staff)
2. Kaom's Heart/Lightning Coil/Belly of the Beast/Carcass Jack

With proper mechanical skill, Kaom's Heart is the best choice because it is effective against all damage types

If playing around physical damage spikes is hard, use Lightning Coil.

If you want an extra 5L/6L instead of hp, two choices are Belly of the Beast (hp tank) and Carcass Jack (clear speed).
3. Taste of Hate
4. 6-linked weapon

Do not get an Abyssus: this build deals more than enough damage without it and you want to level up as quickly as possible to get skill points.

Flasks

-Surgeon's Hallowed Life Flask is better because it only requires 10 charges per use.
-Bubbling Divine Life Flask is preferred over Panicked Divine Life Flask
-Surgeon's Hallowed Mana Flask is needed for mana. It also gives practical immunity to a status effect of your choice because it only requires 4 charges per use.
-Taste of Hate is optional but NOT recommended when learning to play the build; I only got it after I reached lv87.

Bandits and Skill Tree Progression
Bandits:
Kill all (A, C)
Help Kraityn for Frenzy Charge (M)

Skill tree progression:
Pay attention to the skill tree progression; this build has key points where it switches between going left and going right. I have provided a skill tree at each of these "pivot points."

~Lv25 ~Lv40 ~Lv50 ~Lv61

By Lv81, the build is "complete":
Lv70
Lv81

If you take it all the way, the build will change (use reset points):
Lv85
Lv91
Lv100 Disco Build

Magic Find
While this build has an expensive endgame set of gear, it also has insanely high solo MF. As a result, I had all of my endgame pieces (-6L) halfway through the 1-month Flashback.

MF is not just about IIR/IIQ, but also the clear speed. This build doesn't have insane IIR/IIQ, but it does have arguably the fastest clear speed with 2H flicker strike. This more than makes up for the low IIR/IIQ (~150 IIR).
Video tutorial showing how this works (taken from this reddit thread)
-Note that I personally don't alc maps that aren't T5+.
-Also, I wear moderate IIR

Setup:
Flicker Strike + Melee Physical Damage + Item Rarity + Melee Splash + Multistrike (+ Fortify)

60,000 AoE dps

Go for 20+ iir on helm, rings, and amulets, but do not sacrifice too much clear speed.

This takes a lot of practice to play efficiently: when to recharge frenzy, what to do when there is a Nullifier Rare, using targeted vs untargeted flickering, dropping decoy totem, etc.

List of High Rarity Uniques MF'd in 1-month league

Sold/not kept for use: <Bino's Kitchen Knife> <6s Lightning Coil> <Pledge of Hands> <Windripper>

Atziri & Endgame Content

Video guide of how the atziri run works as melee
-Using Lightning strike, Wild Strike, or Ice Crash is similar to a run with reave.
-Reaction/experience is the most important part of doing Atziri.
-Codenameoverkill's full guide here.

The hardest part of the Apex of Sacrifice is killing the Trio Bosses.
Details on how to handle Trio

The trio boss is essentially a gear check: requires 5k+ hp, Taste of Hate, and dps*.
-You need enough dps to focus down the ranged boss before potions run low.
-Decoy Totem gives more time to kill the ranged boss, and makes it easier to handle the melee bosses.
-Fortify up and Taste of Hate are invaluable.

The kill order is: ranged boss->fire boss->cyclone boss.

Recommended skills are Lightning strike, Ice Crash, or Cyclone.

If you want a challenging and fun fight, any skill will work so long as you pass the gear check. I used flicker strike with Arctic Armor, Decoy Totem, CwDT + Immortal Call + Temporal Chains.

In endgame maps and content, Cyclone and Ice Crash are the easiest skills to use. However, if played correctly, flicker strike has the best clears.
Nemesis Invasion Beyond Map Clear

While only a lv74 map, this was my funnest map run so far with all league mods (notably Nemesis & Beyond) and 10 invasion bosses from Incursion Tempest.

The important part of flickering is knowing when to stop and check the mods on the monsters. Also, when facing down hard content like multiple Invasion+Beyond bosses in one spot, focus down rare monsters first, then try to pull apart bosses with smart use of Decoy Totem.

Flask Management and Playing like ES build
At endgame, proper flask management makes a world of difference in the content this build can handle.

Play as if you are an ES build: reduce damage beforehand and use potions mostly for removing status effects like curse.

A good combo is Decoy Totem+Frenzy. This gives you 9.4% life regen/sec so you can conserve your hp potions against extra hard content.

Credits
[2.0] "Crusader" Critical 2H Sword Ice Crash by wraithe_au
-This build helped me craft my build path. I might not have written this guide if not for the key synergies a crit staff build has over a sword build.

Guide to wealth generation Solo non-MF by /u/theguyfromgermany

[2.0] - [Super cheap] Reave double claw extravaganza [174k dps update][Atziri viable with video] by Codenameoverkill
-This guide has the best melee Atziri run video I could find, for 2.0.

End notes (Physical defense, Mana)
Physical Defense:
"
prospecial wrote:

so acrobatics really is good for this build? since 2.0 i am not really a fan of this anymore for melee when you get a hard hit you end up as a 1 hit wonder without armor

Melee got fortify and the reworked Arctic Armor to make up for this. In addition, this build generates endurance charges with Smashing Strikes passive (better than Daresso's Defiance).

If an attack can 1 hit this build when it is played well, it will 1 hit most armor builds too.

40% dodge and 30% spell dodge gives better overall survivability. Lightning Coil is always an option.

Details on how to handle physical damage
Like ES-based characters, the important thing is playing smart and:
1. Proper positioning to avoid big hits/reducing big hits before it happens.
2. Reduce big hits as much as possible before it happens (flasks)
3. Regenerate hp before next big hit.
4. Don't panic and waste flask charges
5. Drop decoy totem

Fortify + Arctic Armor + 3 endurance charges (crit staff passive) gives a persistent 40% damage reduction to phys without armor. At endgame, a preemptive Taste of Hate is more than enough.

With life leech (blood rage) and hp regen (blood dance frenzy), a large majority of physical hits are negligible. Depending on the situation, it is important to stay calm and let regen happen rather than waste flask charges.

This build has as much hp as armor builds and almost all the big hits are not purely physical damage. Due to the way armor works, big hits that can 1 hit this build will also 1 hit the majority of armor builds with similar gear/life total.

Finally, immortal call (buffed by 3 endurance charges) gives time to react. It is safer than armor tanking if played correctly.

Mana:
"
How are you sustaining your mana with only 25% unreserved and no elreon or leech on jewelry? More expensive skills like cyclone and ice crash seem like they would run you dry pretty fast

I use a Surgeon's Hallowed Mana Flask of Warding, which only requires 4 charges per use. I would change to a Divine Flask (5 charge/use) with a 6-L.

1. Surgeon's affix + high crit = infinite flask usage.
2. Suffix gives 1 status immunity of choice (immunity to Curse or Bleed is especially useful).

The tricky part is testing how much %Q you need on the flask to sustain the skill, but don't refill mana so quickly that you lose your status immunity/mana regen prematurely.
Last edited by Zhen on Nov 12, 2015, 9:13:22 AM
i like the build, leveling a similar right now for fun in the 1month

so acrobatics really is good for this build? since 2.0 i am not really a fan of this anymore for melee
when you get a hard hit you end up as a 1 hit wonder without armor
Hi, nice to see you trying out a similar build. Let me know how you do with it =).

Armor is actually weaker than acrobatics in this build because of the synergy with endurance charges and fortify.
Details
Fortify + 3 endurance charges (crit staff passive) gives a persistent 32% damage reduction to phys.
This build has as much hp as armor builds and most big hits are not purely physical damage; attacks that 1 hit this build will likely 1 hit armor builds too.
Finally, frostwall+immortal call (buffed by 3 end charges) gives more than enough time to react.

This build (50% dodge, 40% spell dodge) has better overall survivability because this game's rng formula protects against lucky and unlucky streaks.

PS:
I'll try to finish this guide this weekend.
Last edited by Zhen on Oct 9, 2015, 1:10:49 PM
Bump.

Guide is up now.
Last edited by Zhen on Oct 10, 2015, 10:06:07 AM
This is now a wukong build.
Cleaned up text. Fixed endgame (lv85+) skill tree.

Added short section about Magic Find.

Edit: Fixed target endgame gear.
Last edited by Zhen on Oct 11, 2015, 7:37:45 PM
Hah, Wukong was one of my favorite characters in LoL, along with Garen and Diana :)

However i don't count Acrobatics as a reliable defence at all.
Any physical spike = u dead.
Atziri trio = u dead.
Spin to win =).

Acrobatics, fortify, regen from frenzy charge, life leech and hp pots+immortal call are more than enough.

1. Physical spike:
There is no unavoidable spike damage that can one shot. The immortal call trigger gives plenty of time react (either pot, leech, or kill in that time).
2. High physical damage bosses in general:
I rush down what I can with potions (ex: Na'em and Bameth). If low on pots, use lightning strike.

The problems you suggested with Acrobatics are either due to a lack of hp or differences in *playstyle.
*I mention playstyle because this is actually my first Life-based character over lv75 and I don't find those 2 points to be much of a problem. In general, life-based characters are easier to play due to hp pots, which could lead to different ideas about tankiness and risk. If Acrobatics is hard to play, I recommend trying out one of the many ES-based builds (preferably melee) to learn the mechanics.

At endgame, Kaom's Heart makes things even easier.
Last edited by Zhen on Oct 17, 2015, 1:17:35 PM
"
Zhen wrote:
Spin to win =).

Acrobatics, fortify, regen from frenzy charge, life leech and hp pots+immortal call are more than enough.

1. Physical spike:
There is no unavoidable spike damage that can one shot. The immortal call trigger gives plenty of time react (either pot, leech, or kill in that time).
I rush down what I can with potions (ex: Na'em and Bameth). If low on pots, use lightning strike.

The problems you suggested with Acrobatics are either due to a lack of hp or differences in *playstyle.
*I mention playstyle because this is actually my first Life-based character over lv75 and I don't find those 2 points to be much of a problem. In general, life-based characters are easier to play due to hp pots, which could lead to different ideas about tankiness and risk. If Acrobatics is hard to play, I recommend trying out one of the many ES-based builds (preferably melee) to learn the mechanics.

8k armour and 5.5k hp - oneshot by a fancy girl of Atziri trio (crit Rain of arrows).
IC lasts for split-second and does'n work with attacks, animation of which started before IC proc.
The problems with Acrobatics are due to 2 factors:
1) you can't manually evade all the attacks;
2) entropy, which increases your chance to be hit with every evaded attack.
From my playing expierence i coud say that acro build has far-far less survivability than armour+block build (with the same HP pool size).

The way i see to use Acro is using it with Mind over matter + Eldritch battery + Ghost reaver and maybe Lighning coil. 27% phys dmg migitation from LC + 30% all dmg migitation from MoM + some nice claw with 34 LGoH could make us pretty tanky.
Last edited by AAlex12 on Oct 19, 2015, 6:39:38 AM
"
AAlex12 wrote:
"
Zhen wrote:
Spin to win =).

1. Physical spike:

8k armour and 5.5k hp - oneshot by a fancy girl of Atziri trio (crit Rain of arrows).
IC lasts for split-second and does'n work with attacks, animation of which started before IC proc.
The problems with Acrobatics are due to 2 factors:
1) you can't manually evade all the attacks;
2) entropy, which increases your chance to be hit with every evaded attack.
From my playing expierence i coud say that acro build has far-far less survivability than armour+block build (with the same HP pool size).

The way i see to use Acro is using it with Mind over matter + Eldritch battery + Ghost reaver and maybe Lighning coil. 27% phys dmg migitation from LC + 30% all dmg migitation from MoM + some nice claw with 34 LGoH could make us pretty tanky.

Hey there, I don't have as much time during weekdays. Sorry for the late reply.

Armor is less effective for bigger hits: 8k armor is at most 667 reduced physical damage taken.

IC lasts at least 1 full second because crit staff generates endurance charges passively. When mapping, my 70% crit chance+attack speed means I have either 3 endurance charges or IC active almost all the time. Extra attacks that start before IC proc, especially as a melee character, are negligible.

For the two weaknesses:
1. The point of acrobatics is on-average damage reduction, so that potions, life regen, and life leech have time to do their thing. It is not about reduced damage 100% of the time.
2. We have access to fortify, endurance charges/IC, and Taste of Hate, which provides sufficient reduction against physical damage spikes. Also, this is one of the places where mechanical skill and experience comes in: you have to have enough awareness to have your damage-reduction ready before a possible big hit can happen.

As for tougher content, I use Kaom's Heart+arctic armor. This gives me 5.5k hp, -20% from fortify, -13% from AA, -12% from passive endurance charges. Which is nearly 40% passive phys damage reduction for the big spikes.
-All smaller hits get leeched/regenerated.
-With fortify, this character is tankier than a 6.8k (5.5k/0.8) ES caster.

The idea of using Legacy LC + EB + GR + MoM with Acro places tremendous restrictions on the build and is far less effective than just going hybrid. Non-legacy LC+MOM will only reduce phys damage by 45% (1-.775*.7).

Again, I highly recommend playing an ES-based character first if Acrobatics is difficult. They both have the general playstyle of reducing big hits before they happen, and leeching/regenerating life before another big hit happens. As a result, both Acrobatics and ES characters require more reactiveness and mechanical skill than a tank and spank armor-block build.
-I haven't had any problems with any of the beyond bosses (Na'em, Bameth, Enji, Haast, fire dude) in 75+ maps. I've also solo'd Abathox every time I have seen him spawn, without dying (most recent was lv74 jungle valley).

Also, keep in mind this entire discussion only relates to physical damage spikes.

PS:
If I have time, I will try to update the endgame for this build over the weekend.
Last edited by Zhen on Oct 23, 2015, 12:06:19 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info