ZiggyD's Hobo Gucci Challenge! POE Ironman rules

For your consideration, Ladies and Gents!

Played the heck out of POE? Rich in all leagues? Done everything there is? TRY THIS!

(If Ziggy has any input, that would be cool too)

So the idea of this personal solo challenge is you CANNOT use any item that is not:

A.) Unique, and

B.) Self-found.

That is, until you find a unique with a socket, you must punch things, while naked, in order to level.

This is IMMENSELY difficult, but kind of gruelingly fun, especially if done as a competition with friends.

After some review, here are additional rules that my friend and I have added to the basic principle:

C.) Until your first unique, you are allowed unlimited portal scrolls, from your main stash, but ONLY portal scrolls, and ONLY until your first unique. (Brutus without portals would be bloody insane)

D.) If you want to have a competition, as Ziggy points out, the game breaks as SOON as someone finds a unique. Everyone else is immediately left in the dust, and the challenge is over. Therefore, we decided that as soon as a unique is found, others in the race are allowed to procure and use precisely that unique as well. This both favors the underdog, and gives more of a competitive balance.

E.) The race, round, or heat ends when all players are dead (or all but one) and the highest level obtained with that round's found unique or set of uniques is the winner.

Repeat with new rounds, starting over from scratch.

You'll never know true fear until you're dancing with Brutus, naked, and he begs to embrace you....Muahahaha!

Thoughts? input? other ideas anyone?

~Cheers!
Last edited by Noctis256 on Sep 30, 2015, 11:39:09 PM
LoL
This sounds like fun. It's subjectively not fun, but it sounds like it and kind of has a bit of a fun appearance if you squint your eyes and inhale some paint thinner.

I'd watch the highlights video of this if ZiggyD got some of the other streamers to do it with him. Hell, I might even turn off adblock.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
Sounds great, enjoyed watching Ziggy's vids about it and your extra rules sound good.
Maybe you should build in a little advantage for the person who found the first unique (the others can't use currency on it e.g.). Otherwise the grind to the first unique sounds less rewarding because you share it anyway.
IGN: Scordalia_
"
This is an amusingly forced way of playing.

Normally I'm all for that but in my experience with stuff like Ironman on D1, its typically a hallmark of a game no longer being actively updated, when players are so burnt out but want to keep playing AND the devs have moved on.

Which part of that sentence shouldn't ring true regarding PoE?

[Edited by support]

EDITED BY NAIT

Making friends an influencing people again, Charan? :)

I'll disagree a little bit - mostly because this is a ZiggyD invention. He has a high level of play time that needs to retain a consistent viewerbase. Off the wall styles of play like this towards the end of a league fill a gap that can't be done when there isn't enough time to fully flesh out a new build, or approach new challenges.

Ziggy (and the other high view count streamers) tend to be focused on the league-play, so retaining a league presence while offering a product/service that is still the core game but also offers a point of difference can be a big ask.

I admire the creativity that goes into it, but I would share some concern if a large portion of the playerbase started resorting to these gimmicky styles of play.

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Last edited by CaptainWaffleIron on Oct 1, 2015, 1:31:25 AM
Reminds me of ADOM challenges.
I agree that this can be a temporary fun among friends, however, it feels too much like a restrainer jacket.

I would suggest a modification if I may:

Each contestant gets assigned four (random polled?) letters from alphabet. This player can then only use self-found rares, whose names start with given letters.
"
Noctis256 wrote:
(...)

1) This means you aren't allowed to use non-unique potions.
2) You should be able to use your self-found currency.
3) You should be allowed to vendor non-unique stuff.
4) The competition's winner is the highest level character by the end of the competition.
5) Rules C) and D) would break the purpose of this kind of challenge. And believe me, Brutus is the least of your worries in this kind of competition.
Ha :)

"
"Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Save a man from a horrendous tongue lashing from Charan, and he will still be mentally capable of learning how to fish."

I have yet to see anything by Charan that could even qualify as moderate tongue lashing, much less a horrendous one. The forum was tame even before the moderation policy change, now it's sterile.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Oct 1, 2015, 7:03:56 AM
We've all tongue lashed a few people in the forums before :) Some of us do it MUCH better than others. I'm an amateur, but I like to dabble occasionally.

Anyways, enough with the derailing (Sorry OP!).

Here is a video link for ZiggyD undertaking this particular style of Insanity.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info