[2.4] Pure Righteous Fire - Extended Guide - 4 Variants

In this guide I'd like to introduce you to a flexible and cheap build that relies on Righteous Fire as main skill to deal damage to your opponents, without casting any spell. I was able for my first time to level up to 97 totally solo and self-found, clearing up to T15 map. I've chosen templar to get access to some mana regeneration and rely on mana to cast enduring cry and use cyclone, saving one link on each gem setup supposed to be taken by blood magic (and because I had a respec available). With the 8th ascendant point available after 2.3 the best class could be Marauder Chieftain with Doon Cuebiyari.

*note: the guide has been written pre 2.1, few things have changed but I keep updating it*

Variants
#1 Single Curse with (legacy) Blood Dance
This used to be the tankier version, the one I'd recommend for progressing into tier 12+ maps. You will have a huge amount of life and 20% capped life regeneration whenever you get few charges.
Only available in its full power in permanent league with a legacy pair of Blood Dance boots.
Non legacy version loses 2.0% life regeneration with 4 frenzy charges up.

#2 Double Curse with Windscream
Midway between being tanky and delivering the highest damage, but requires a sixth linked socket, or dropping life gain on hit or fortify, or a different curse setup. I use this for my Atziri farming sessions, using Flammability on hit and Vulnerability on blasphemy, without Vitality.

#3 Triple Curse with Windscream + Doedre's Damning or Corrupted Amulet
Works great if you can corrupt an amulet with +1 curse, but this is not common at all. Requires a sixth linked socket AND changing life gain on hit or fortify for the second curse. The third curse could come from corrupted gloves, CWDT setup, curse on hit or blasphemy. Furthermore using a third curse against Atziri is a dangerous idea and Immunity to curses on maps becomes really annoying, the cost of rerolling maps increases significantly.

#4 Chaos Resistance and Physical Immunity with Zahndethus' Cassock and two Kaom's Sign
This is not exactly a variant. It is just a gear swap that can be used for specific situation to be safer against chaos damage and to have an extended immortal call(The boss in Jungle Valley, Atziri Trio, Museum and Village Ruin)

Pro & Cons
+ Extremely Tanky and HC viable
+ Ignores reflect
+ Cheap
+ Works fine without 6 linked armour
+ Flexible
+ Capable of safely killing most of map Bosses
+ Easy to play
+ Trivialise Fire-themed content (Crematorium boss, Igna Phoenix, Flame Bearers, Volatile Flameblood...)

- Few unique items are mandatory
- Clearspeed below the average
- I have the feeling it could be nerfed in the future (Why the hell am I writing this guide?)
- Another of those "level as something else" build
- No good for partying
- Elemental Equilibrium limits gear's availability

Leveling
Rise of the Phoenix can be equipped at level 65. Before I'd suggest you to use another build to level up. Cyclone, Facebreaker, Flame Totem are viable option and you can find few guides in this forum section.

[spoiler="Gear Options"]

In the spots whithout a unique, the mod we should give priority to are +life, +strength, +resistances. Once you have the resistances capped, try to overcap fire, then lightning, then
cold. Chaos resistance is important, I've spent a lot of passive points to reach Purity of Flesh because it's hard to find good gear with chaos resistance on top of life and strength. We are forced to avoid any source of fire damage in gear because of Elemental Equilibrium. For the same reason we want at least a source of cold and lightning damage (easy to craft with master crafting). Item
rarity is somewhat important if we use Aurumvorax.

Shield: Rise of the Phoenix, mandatory. Saffel's Frame for double Vaal. Eventually a Leo's crafted with reduced damage over time taken.

Weapon: Aurumvorax is cheap and makes it easy to cap resistances and overcome elemental weakness map and flammability curses. It also allows the use of Whirling Blades for mobility. Rarity penalty isn't a big deal in my opinion.
Doryani's Catalyst or Doon Cuebiyari are bad for mobility and expensive, but they offer the best DPS. Bino's Kitchen Knife offers decent DPS increase and Chaos Resistance, and allows the use of whirling blades. Any rare claw/dagger/sword with 2 or 3 tier 1 resistances and a decent attack speed can be used and would be effective, if you have already a resistance overcapped and the weapon has life gain on hit it becomes better than Aurumvorax.
A Vegan's claw/dagger/sword makes Life Gain on Hit more effective and increases the uptime of elemental overload.

Chests: Kaom's Heart will be the best choice life wise, but is expensive and the lack of sockets is hard to overcome. Belly of the Beast is still somewhat rare but not as rare as the previous one. Carcass Jack is worse than a good rare life wise, but it greatly enhances our area of effect and damage. A good rare chest should have 110+ life, 50+ strength, good resistances and defenses to be considered, but Belly of The Beast would be an upgrade in this scenario.

Helmet: A nicely crafted Redblade helmet (10% of physical damage taken converted into fire) would be best in slot, extremely rare though.

Boots: The Blood Dance (legacy) for spec #1. With few frenzy and endurance charges we are able to reach 20% life regen. Windscream provide the extra curse and some resistances, but they lack life and movement speed (not important if you use whirling blades consistently). Kaom's Roots grant life and unwavering stance, but again they come with no sockets. A good pair of rare ones with +life +strength +movement speed and armour are an option.

Others: follow the criteria written above for rares. Aim at tier 1 prefixes and suffixes. Give priority to life and strength as implicit, dexterity for the amulet if needed. You'll probably need a dex-based amulet to save point in the tree.
Armour and evasion are less important but still the more you can get the better is. Energy shield can be ignored.

[/spoiler]

Gear Swaps

Skill Gem Setup
This is a general idea, things may vary depending on socket's colours and personal preferences.

5L (6L) -> Cyclone + Fortify + Life gain on hit + Curse On Hit + Flammability + (Elemental Weakness) = GRRBB(B)

If you don't have a sixth link use a low level CWDT to support Elemental Weakness in a different piece of armor.

4L -> Righteous Fire BRBB with a combination of the following
Increased Burning Damage : offer an "increase" damage modifier
Increased AoE : more clear speed for packs
Concentrated Effect : reduces the AoE but offers a "more" damage multiplier
Elemental Focus : a "more" damage multiplier with no cost
Item Rarity : more rarity for farming
Item Quantity : legacy, solid farming choice

The choice depends on personal preferences, I usually alternate between full greedy and full DPS with a very small AoE.

4L -> CWDT + Increased Duration + Immortal Call + Enduring Cry = RRRR

Choose the level of CWDT accordingly (mine is 10, allowing level 12 immortal call).
Enduring cry is self casted (so level 20/20), offers a decent life regen buff which is affected by the incresed duration gem (again 20/20). Increased duration affects Immortal call as well (reach level 20/20, because CWDT does not check the level of support gems). I can always cast enduring cry before Immortal Call expires.

4L -> CWDT + Golem + Tempest Shield + Ice Spear = RRBB or RBBB

Golem: our option are Stone, Chaos or Flame, depends on personal preferences.
You can also decide to manually summon 20/20 golem, it is up to you.
Tempest shield is a free bonus to block chance and can trigger elemental equilibrium.
Ice spear is used to proc elemental overload (since we have a very low accuracy rating and crit)

3L -> Whirling Blades + Faster Attack + Blood Magic = GGR

The best movement skill. Requires a dagger, sword, claw. Use leap slam if you wield Catalyst or Doon.

3L -> Enlighten + Purity of Fire + Vitality = BRR
Enlighten allows the use of mana for cyclone and enduring cry without the investment of passive points into reduced reservation nodes. If you reach level 23 Purity of fire you'll gain an extra +1% max fire resistance. You can achieve this with different combinations using Empower, +1 Gem items, +2 Fire Items, Alpha's Howl, corrupted level 21 PoF gem.

optional single socket -> Vaal Gem

I used to use Vaal Detonate Dead for clearing the screen before opening certain strongboxes, and against enemies that exploit corpses.
Vaal Grace and Vaal Molten Shell are viable.
Vaal Cyclone is a cool but dangerous option.
Vaal Righteous Fire is a suicidal option.

optional single socket -> Arctic Armour

Works against physical damage. You have to deliberately decide to stand still before receiving a strong physical hit for it to work. Protects you while casting enduring cry.

An aura between Vitality and Arctic Armour could be swapped for a Blasphemy + Curse, but this would create mana issues that could be solved by blood magic.

Jewels' Choice
It's easy to recognise the right mods for this build. Here is a list in order of priority with top rolled mods:
Prefixes
7% increased max life;
16% increased fire damage;

Suffixes
12% increased area damage;
12% increased damage over time;
16 Strength;
Any % resistance;
6% increased rarity of items;

Start with a red jewel if you want to craft it, aim at life + one good suffix before regaling. Exalt if you hit 3 perfect rolls and you feel lucky.
Factor the cost to reach the socket in tree before allocating.
The 2 closest are 1 point away, the farthest is 3 points away and you have 4 that are 2 points away. Always get the 2 closest. Get one or two of the others socket only if you have great jewels and are above level 92.
Unique jewels that may be considered are Anatomical Knowledge, Brawn, Efficient Training, Fireborn, Fragile Bloom (?), Combustibles (?), Self-Flagellation, but a top rolled rare jewel would always be an upgrade.

Flasks
Always have at least one with removes bleeding, one with removes curses, one with dispels burning, one with dispel frozen for strongboxes. Have at least one granite.
In my setup I use a life flask with dispels burning as an emergency countermeasure, because compared to a Ruby it stores an extra usage.
All the other are Ruby because every usage lasts longer than a life flask and work when on full life too.

Ascendancies

You can start as a different character, here is a breakdown on what the first 3 passive nodes provide

Templar: +14 Life, +5% Life, +5% Mana, +15% Mana regen, +0,4% Life regen.
Marauder: +16 Life, +9% Life, +28% Armour.
Scion: +10 Life, +5 Strength, +0,8% Life regen.
Duelist: +14 Life, +20 Strength.

With Ascendancy subclasses it is now more important to choose which class to start with.

Templar Inquisitor: Pious Path, Augury of Penitence, Instruments of Virtue
Consacrated Ground boosts regen and makes us immune to ground ailments (perfect for mapping).
The other nodes increase the damage and provide extra 1% life regen. Instruments of virtue increases cyclone and whirling blades speed.

Templar Guardian:every node but Radiant fate route
Extra Tankyness through all the node.

Templar Hierophant: every node but Conviction of Power and Sanctuary of thought
Using a totem with any spell + culling strike for the bonuses. Extra AoE in oue gloves for RF.
Possibly a high level CWDT with a spell in our boots to leech.

Marauder Juggernaut: Unyielding, Unrelenting, Unbreakable
Extra Armour, extra endurance charge, extra 1,9% life regen, perfect for temp chains map.

Marauder Chieftain: Ramako, Tawhoa, Hinekora
Extra 1,9% regen, regen from charges, nice 10% strength which is great if you wield Doon Cue.

Duelist Gladiator: Versatile Combatant, Outmach Outlast, 2 side nodes
With culling strike to support cyclone we can generate frenzy charges. Nice boost to block and spell block.

Duelist Champion: Fortutide, Conqueror, First to Strike Last to Fall
Free a support gem and offers increased damage.

Ascendant: Any 2 among Juggernaut, Inquisitor, Pathfinder, Raider, Gladiator

Labyrinth

This build performs really well in the labyrinth and against Izaro and his cute little dog.
The traps deal a % damage as a degen, which means that they are easy to deal with by simply turning off righteous fire degen.

For the enchantments available we are looking for the following:

Helmet - 40% increased Righteous Fire Damage
(or alternatively any other bonus related to Immortal Call, Enduring Cry, curses or auras)
Gloves - Commandment of Light
Boots - Regenerate 2.0% of Life and Mana per second if you were Hit Recently

Defences

Life easily above 8000 with self-found gear, above 10000 with perfect gear
Armour 3000 (estimated 23%)
Evasion 1100 (estimated 13%)
Life Regen 1200/s
Fire Resistance 88% (186%)
Cold and Lightning Resistance 75% (120%)
Chaos Resistance -11%
Block Chance 24%

My gear is sub-par when it comes to armour and evasion, you can reach higher values than these. I hit 20% life regeneration cap whenever I have 5 frenzy charges (1% regen each from legacy blood dance) or 4 frenzy and 5 endurance (0,2% regen each from the tree).
I didn't manage to get positive Chaos resistance through my gear, but I'm still able to clear tier 13+ map safely at -11%. With -40% I've had few close calls.
On top of the stats above always consider the following available buffs:
Ruby Flask, Granite Flask, Tempest Shield, Endurance Charges (5), Frenzy Charges (5), Immortal Call, Arctic Armour, Fortify, Life gain on Hit, Enduring Cry's regeneration, Molten Shell, Vaal gem.

Offence

If my math is correct when I wield Doon Cue, elemental overload is active and the enemy stands on consecrated ground, my damage per second is about 90K (RF + Conc Effect + Elemental Focus + Increased Burning, at level 97 with 8700 life, and at least 12% increased damage from every jewel). This is usually applied to enemies with -120% fire resistance after curses and elemental equilibrium. In this setup you must stand close to your target due to the very poor radius, making it unefficent for packs but perfect for single target.
Refer to this link for a more in-depth analysis. http://samminds.com/righteous_fire/

Map Mods
I will mention in this list only few notable mods.

No life or mana regen - must skip

Blood Magic - Doable in theory, without vitality, but too risky to worth trying

-x% max resistance - I've done it with -8% and Legacy Spec #1 without dying, though it is better to skip

Slower Regeneration - Spec #1 with legacy Blood Dance can do it, but it's very risky and becomes a must skip if combined with other hard mods

Curse Immunity - Spec #1 with legacy Blood Dance can do it, Spec #2 can do it but it's tedious, Spec #3 should always reroll it

Extra damage as - Fire doesn't bother, lightning and cold can become dangerous together and/or combined with other hard mods

Chain - remove golem from socket

Elemental Weakness - no problem at all, we are heavily overcapped thanks to Aurumvorax

Beyond - This build can kill all beyond unique bosses! I've killed an Abaxoth with multiprojectile once. Though they can become too dangerous if combined with other nasty mods

Increased Critical - you should pop your granite flask whenever immortal call is not active

Fracture - With enough pack size your FPS will suffer and the map WILL eventually crash, especially if combined with ground mods and strongboxes

Temporal Chains - slow but great, due to the increased duration of flasks, charges and immortal call. My favourite mod with this build

Vulnerability - Beware of any degen and physical damage, you should pop your granite flask whenever immortal call is not active

Sustaining map pool as a solo player

Up until tier 8-9 I try to not use any chisel, with the exception of my highest level map every now and then.
From tier 9-10 always chisel your map.
Rerolling rare map gets expensive, run magic maps instead when you fall short on chaos orb.
Do your daily masters' mission consistently, as they provide nice xp and maps for no investment.
Use a second lower level character with some Magic Find to farm for chisel and chaos in lower maps or dried lake.
I use Zana Mods and Fragments only on T14-15.
Always kill the boss, don't invest in a map if you can't kill the boss. I use an alternate character for Village Ruin and other bosses if i don't feel like it.

About party playing
If you plan to play mostly in party, you should respec out Elemental Equilibrium. The bigger the party, the poorer your dps is. If you are in a 6-man party, you should play more as a support/tank/curser. Your auras will greatly benefit every party memeber, and you can easily swap your curses depending on what prefers who has the highest dps. The spec #3 is the best for this purpose. Certain builds have great synergies with this playstyle: Caustic Arrow, Puncture, Fire Trap, Searing Bond, Flame Surge.

Atziri
You can attempt your first Atziri around level 85, but if your goal is to do it deathless, I'd suggest to wait until 93 to be extra safe. The packs outside bosses' room can be dangerous, but in general you should be fine if you keep an eye on physical damage (big hammers). Against these packs the best is Spec #1.

The first boss room has 2 Vaal Oversouls, the first who dies enrages the other one. You can Equip Saffel's Frame and switch on your Righteous Fire only when they emerge from the ground. This way you'll degen, but you'll block most of the spells. Keep running in circle and always kite the hammer slam.
Bring them both close to low life and then kill them in sequence.

The second boss room you can switch to Spec #4, with removes bleeding in every flasks. Keep always few endurance charges active and attack the topless lady first, running in circle around outside of the columns. Kill her in the exact centre of the room. Keep running in circle and casting enduring cry. Aim at the cycloner whenever you can. Once he's death, avoid to walk on the spot. Keep casting enduring cry, and let the last boss attacking you, pop flasks every now and then if needed and refresh immortal call. You'll be immune to all the damage sources, curse the boss every now and then and he will basically kill himself by standing close to you.

The third boss room is Atziri. Here I use Spec #2 with Vulnerability on Blasphemy, without Immortal call, keeping the charges up instead. You can and should tank the damage of the small flameblast but not the lightning spells, which must be avoided. Double flameblast should always be avoided, but you can survive it with a ruby flask active. With a bit of practice and the correct use of whirling blades it becomes automatic. The minion phase is somewhat tricky, requires a good mobility to kill all the minions.
During the clone phase you must stay out of the lightning bolts and avoid the spears. I usually aim at the clone who throws the spears, so I can kite those easily.

A full clear usually takes 25 minutes to me, including the time to loot everything using all the portals. A fast boss-only run takes between 5 and 10 minutes. Normally I can do it deathless, but few deaths occurred due to latency issues, lack of sleep and avoidable mistakes. For a fast run I usually equip flasks with removes bleeding and use Spec#2 all the way through.

I always plan my Atziri farming sessions when I have <5% xp, just in case.

I've tested Uber at 95 and barely reached Double Vaal room. If you want to try Uber with this build you must have a Legacy Kaom's Heart, GG gear with a lot of chaos resistance, a manual immortal call setup and you should be close to level 100.

Videos

Cheapest Atziri Trio with Spec #4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlbq7tHDplI

Credits
If you prefer video guides I suggest you to check Niffler's channel. He has put together a guide about a Righteous Fire Marauder similar to Spec #2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-4nCFgff5g
Also when attempting Atziri the first time I've found somewhat useful watching this video by ZiggyD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uju-ktasD38

Log
Guide Uploaded 30/08/2015
Filled the defence section 06/09/2015
Updated for 2.1 release 11/12/2015
Updated for 2.2 release 12/05/2016
Vinktar Square and Poorjoy soloed deathless 30/05/2016

Link to my standard shop https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/973713

Sorry for typos and grammar, not a native speaker here
Last edited by ammenz on Sep 6, 2016, 2:05:30 AM
Last bumped on Apr 28, 2016, 5:38:55 AM
I been wanting to do an RF build since I started playing and I been hell bent on insisting to be Templar but the other guides didn't seem to suit how I picture my end game til this one and of course I am still too noob to theory craft out a build based on some end game tech uniques and I simply don't have knowledge of their existence.

But Imma give this a go in Warbands.

Couple of questions.

Is Geofri's Helm (butchered it I know) and Koam's Heart (as mentioned in Niff's vid) viable options as well for your setup? Can an enlighten gem be of any value here, especially with a Geofri's?
Kaom would change the build completely. Great boost to survivability and damage with the drawback of no 5L/6L. This way you would be forced to drop a CWDT setup and use cyclone in a 4L (without LgoH or Fortify if you still want to curse on hit). Having corrupted gloves with "Elemental weakness on hit" might be a solution, or you could curse manually or through CWDT.

In my setup enlighten level 2 is enough to let me cast enduring cry and cyclone through mana (50 mana available, it becomes a problem only in slow regen maps). Geofri might be good if you have enlighten level 1 while leveling, or if you're having hard time capping your resistances (especially chaos). Keep in mind that the top mods in a rare helmet are +99 life +55 strength (a big deal for RF). Furthermore purity of fire gets +1% max res bonus at level 23 (from 4% to 5%) and Geofri + corrupted 21 PoF won't still be enough to reach it. If you meant empower instead of enlighten, keep in mind your goal of level 23 PoF. You can do it in different ways, here you are few examples:

Alpha's Howl + PoF lvl 21 corrupted;
Alpha's Howl + PoF lvl 20 + Empower lvl 2;
Rare helmet + PoF lvl 20 + Empower lvl 4 corrupted;
Geofri's Crest+ PoF lvl 20 + Empower lvl 2.

The easier one is of course with Geofri, but keep in mind the extra reservation cost from empower.

I hope to have been of any help.

Hello there !

Really interesting build, I just riped and want to try new things.

Just have a question as I've never tried RF Build

1) Why Elemental Equilibrium and how you trigger it ? :)

2) If I have Capped resist, it s better to have a wand with Increase fire dmg + resist right ?

3) Why do you say strength is so important ? You mean it is important as it gives +0,5 life or is there another reason ?

Thanks a lot !

"
Piou29 wrote:
Hello there !

Really interesting build, I just riped and want to try new things.

Just have a question as I've never tried RF Build

1) Why Elemental Equilibrium and how you trigger it ? :)

2) If I have Capped resist, it s better to have a wand with Increase fire dmg + resist right ?

3) Why do you say strength is so important ? You mean it is important as it gives +0,5 life or is there another reason ?

Thanks a lot !

1)Because it's a further way to rape enemies' fire resistance (-50%)http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Elemental_Equilibrium
I trigger EE through cyclone, since I have lightning damage in one ring and cold damage in my amulet (and no fire damage in any other gear). Righteous fire is a degen and does not trigger EE and this means that you have to cyclone only every once in a while. It is also a free pack size bonus when a map has it. If you plan to play in party though, I'd suggest you to do it without EE.

2) The 30% increased fire damage that can roll on sceptres and wands should work with RF and it could be an option, but With a wand or sceptre you can't use whirling blades, which is currently the best movement skill in the game.

3)+0,5 life becomes a big deal because of all the increased life % node taken and Belly of the Beast. Furthermore, if you want to self cast a level 20 spell like molten shell, you can decide to support it with iron will, the damage boost is nice.

You're welcome
Last edited by ammenz on Sep 9, 2015, 9:55:00 AM
Bump for those who are looking for a viable build for the upcoming 1 month league.
hello there, like the read on your build, would it be possible to show a skill tree as a marauder too? i am thinking to make a marauder and this build fits good. thanks
The tree is exactly the same for a Marauder. Just drop the 2 starting nodes from Templar and allocate the 3 starting points of Marauder (armour & life).
updated for 2.1
what do you think of totem rf?its possible for RF totems to reach 24k hp afaik

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info