Changes to Default Privacy Settings

A few months ago, we added the ability for players to inspect each other's equipped items and passive skills on the website. While it was possible for people to turn this off, the default behaviour was that it was on. In light of many players not knowing that this existed and the recent bulk scraping of this data, we are changing this option to default to off.

We feel that this is a better long-term solution, because so many people didn't know that it was possible for people to see their equipped items. This is especially important for PvP players who want to keep their builds secret.

This change should be performed over the next four days (this originally said two hours, then we saw how fast the script was going). If you'd like people to be able to view your equipped items and passive skill trees, then you should enable it in the privacy options of your account on the website. May be best to do this once this post is four days old though, so that it doesn't get overwritten by our global change.

Note that it has not and will not be possible for other people to see your inventory and stash items unless you voluntarily submit them to a trade service.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Last edited by Chris on Aug 27, 2015, 10:31:29 PM
Last bumped on Mar 26, 2016, 10:34:11 AM
Great idea! Looking forward to all of the new events!
Last edited by TylerKinkade on Aug 27, 2015, 8:37:02 PM
Will people who already have it set to "on" have it changed to "off", or will this only effect new players? I assume the former but confirmation is good.
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
"
Wooser69 wrote:
Will people who already have it set to "on" have it changed to "off", or will this only effect new players? I assume the former but confirmation is good.

It is the former - everyone is being changed to "off" until they specifically change it.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Ah, won't be able to check the characters of bug reporters to see what's going on anymore :)
[Removed by Support]

For my Gear Giveaways I lookup people's characters and accounts to see if they're being truthful about their game play situations. I also use the account lookup to check builds for players who ask me for comments / suggestions on what they can do to have a better Path of Exile experience.

Turning this to default to off makes sense for those who race, sure. But, I'd think seasoned PVP / racers would know how to turn this off as default. :) looks like I'll add in more steps to the process of helping people refine their builds.
YOUTUBE - http://www.youtube.com/richardbmiller2
TWITCH - http://www.twitch.tv/hellcat5gaming
Last edited by Brian_GGG on Aug 27, 2015, 9:20:15 PM
Really appreciate the change even though I learned about the privacy settings already. It'd be unfortunate to have a bot scrape through all the newer players good gear and buy it off them for next to nothing.
Even though i don't very much care if i had the setting on or off until that is i had players whispering me asking me to sell certain items i had in my inventory for little or nothing, of course i found out quickly that this was not against the terms of service it is still unethical and should be a shun and shameful act. I say those that had players ask for expensive gear post there reply's to them on maybe a reddit post or something or is there one all ready started i for one would like to share.
Doesn't bother me. But this is good policy.
IGN: JerleNecroDD/JerleNecroRuthless
Harvest is the BEST league EVER. Deterministic crafting ftw.
How will POE2 and POE coexist?
Honestly, I'd love two tiers of settings. First to show a list of characters, second to allow the tree/gear to be shown. I liked having my character list shown, but as soon as the ability to see gear/tree was turned on I closed down that tab.
Support a free Hong Kong.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with
sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo Galilei

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info