HP/MP orb girls

"

generic

I read this generalization thrown around all the time in these threads.

Can you name the individual games in the mentioned large group of ARPGs that justifies this "generic ARPG" UI statement?
as pointed out by pasts posts in this thread... girls are just as much part of the game as a skull and what ever the fuck that other thing is. >.>

generic???........ i don't think you people know what words mean... and my english isn't that good. >.>
We can't solve problems we can't talk about...
sure neat....
.... and junk....
We can't solve problems we can't talk about...
"

The lion and skull, however, are directly related to The Awakening: the skull for Kaom, the lion for Daresso. Note the new lion statues in the Grand Arena? Yep.

I think incorporating the UI into the overall feel of where the game is lore-wise is pretty neat.

I always felt the girls fitted the theme of PoE also. They could be other exiles that were chained up on the ship that brought us to Wraeclast. :P

But in the end, who gives two shits about what the UI looks like as long as it's functional and unobtrusive. I'd be willing to bet that everyone that's against the new UI is some kind of 50 Shades of Grey type of person. hehe
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
Last edited by Shovelcut on Aug 27, 2015, 9:38:03 PM
To be honest, I didn't notice them until the rage posts started dropping during the awakening beta. haha
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
"

As I like to say, the girls were fine for a less-exposed PoE. Now that PoE is really on the radar and trying to be its own thing, it's better we have thematically strong visuals.

it's one thing getting a bigger audience and successful and all but it's also one of the usual mistakes to forget about the roots which made you successful in the first place when mainstreaming your product.

the girls, being controversial, were the best advert ggg could ever get. especially if you don't notice them immediately, an ui should't draw the attention away from the game

advertizement is about being controversial. potential new players talk only about controversial things, not how nice a skull and a lion fits to the new theme of a game they don't know yet because they only saw something on imgur.

speaking about controversial, the initial closed beta templar video brought me to the game. if the german gouvernment could have banned it, they would have. best advert they ever made.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
I think the new orbs skin is simply in-line with the Awakening theme.

Solution :

Make an option in the UI menu so that everyone can choose which theme they want for the UI (Vanilla, Awakening, <insert future expansion theme here>...)

And everyone would be happy :)
"

And wouldn't at least some of the hefty supporters find it tasteless and beneath GGG were they to rely on *that* instead of, I dunno, a quality game with plenty to offer?

what i mean is the first impression mostly from pictures on gaming sites, imgur and so on.

but of course that view of mine is a bit outdated: let's play, twitch, youtube and cohorts show actual gameplay. and atziris 6 boobs in action.

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Well, all this arguing wouldn't be happening if GGG was more honest about the real reason they did the change : by making this change within the UI, they reduced the number of character deaths by twenty percent, as the eye-candy catched some eyes too much compared to the colors (or absence thereof) within the orbs.
I'm going to need someone to explain to me how a lion and skull is less generic than the chained orb girls.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info