Trendspotting: POE Playerbase almost halved on Steam alone since the release of Awakening

"
TheWretch wrote:
"
Xavderion wrote:
"
Not really surprising.

"most" people play games to have fun and don't want a game that's too involved. (See D3's model).

People grind for money every day...most don't want to play a game where you have to do the same thing.

POE, first and foremost, has always been about preserving it's economy.

Lot of people just want shit to drop so they can use it for a while and try different builds. This is more of a niche game.

POE = Economy > Fun.

Always has been always will be.

I'd love to see a D3 player concurrency chart from the beginning of a season and then one month later. I'd bet my left kidney it looks pretty much exactly like PoE's.

So will that kidney be shipped in a cooler or a lunchbox?

Old by this point but this was pre RoS

Spoiler

E: The population isn't a peak and valley type deal like PoE's. The way they have it set-up most people go back to their non-seasonals after they've acquired all the seasonal perks/goodies.

d3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljn9jdKkeds
my english sux.
Last edited by C1111 on Sep 2, 2015, 10:28:56 PM
Wow the same exact pattern is repeating itself again? Wow, news worthy, significant and meaningful, wow.

Geam is ded for the 7th time now, run for the hills the steam charts are falling, the steam charts are falling.
Noblesse oblige
Last edited by Yidam_ on Sep 3, 2015, 1:28:38 AM
I still think 2.0.0 is great.

My 2 highest level characters (80 and 85) are warbands characters.
My highest level OB character is 78.

I'm still far from burned out of the game. I'm planning to do a cyclone build.
I don't understand why people think Steam charts are even indicative of the POE player base.

Steam user base is subject to FAR more outside influences than just "Is POE fun to play?"

For example, Windows 10 released recently. A shitload of people are having problems launching Path of Exile through Steam while in Windows 10, leading to LOTS Of people abandoning the Steam client.

Note, they're not abandoning POE, just the Steam Client.

After the release of 2.0, there were a ton of mini and hotfix patches. Steam users often had very large and very long downloads due to the fucktarded way Steam organizes it's files.

A shitton of people then bailed on the Steam client. Not POE, just Steam.

That's just 2 instances where people would show up as no longer playing POE on the Steam charts, but who are actually still playing, just using the stand alone client.

The Steam charts are so skewed just due to tech BS related to Steam, they're not even remotely reliable as an indicator as to what the playerbase is doing.
ziggyD is playing D3 , RaizQT is playing baldur'd gate . im stuck in level 88 , dont want to continue farm level 73 maps for 2% exp /each . cannot sustain maps 75/76/77

i gave up . now i just finished mass effect . . 25 h to see a real ending make me feel like a child in christmas days . a realstory ,a real ending , real cinematics ..
i regret to spend 2000hrs just to see atziri 4 boobs , with a bizarre story of malachai/darusso/kaoms
foolish mortal, only skilled players blessed by RNGesus himself can ever farm one, not you!
bye
Without the good ol' orb girls to keep the player base active, everything falls apart.

Orb girls confirmed integral part of PoE.
There are twice as many players playing than when I started over a year ago. Looks good from where I sit. CHirs even said money was raining

Which surprised me. I thought those beta packs sucked compared to past packs. JMO.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Sep 5, 2015, 1:18:59 AM
So, not even a new temp league could make more then a minimal dent in the decline.

Something went very wrong here.
How come this "trend" has been happening for over two years and we don't seem to see much effect?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info