[2.2] Poor Mans Guide to Bows - 114K DPS and Atziri on a 5L

"
AngryCustard wrote:

I should post up a video using lioneyes you'll see even on 78+ maps there is no problem killing pacs in 1-2 hits with lioneyes let alone a high damage crit bow so I don't see the point running faster attacks.

Maybe that means you've invested too much items/passives into DPS, and should use them to increase tankiness instead?
Though i agree, with LG, Faster Attacks can be too mana-intensive. It still provides great DPS boost, but you proably wont be able to sustain it, at least, without several "+2 mana per hit" jewels.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
It isnt.

Tooltip may show higher DPS numbers with elemental gem setup (WED+PtL or WED+AFD), but do note, that enemies can have up to 75% elemental resistance, and elemental damage cant leech, so you need much higher life/mana leech to sustain yourself.
Physical setup is also viable, but you should look not just at bare DPS numbers, but actually understand the game and its mechanics. Then you'll understand, that "bigger" doesnt always mean "better".

And dont underestimate 20/20 Faster Attacks gem. Even if you got decent attack speed bonus, it will still be better DPS-wise than 20/20 ICS or ICD gems, and quite close to Slower Projectiles.

i wouldn't say "it isn't". i'd say "it may not be"

yes resistances are a thing (only on certain mobs in certain maps or map mods etc) but there are ways around it as well. this is exactly why i seem to always go back to the same old ranger builds. stacking massive elemental damage with supports (phys to light, added fire, WED...and added hatred) and running a dual curse setup (sometimes tri curse) to get as much penetration as i can.
for instance, use lightning arrow with phys to lightning, run elemental weakness and conductivity. you could even socket lightning penetration in your setup for even more badassery.

this is why i've shied away from standard bow builds now of split arrow, or lightning arrow, or w/e. i had a massive focus on herald of ash where i would get as much single target DPS as i could (burning arrow) and allow HoA to proliferate everything in existence. the damage was absolutely absurd and it worked amazingly, but after using it for so long and after 2.0 changes i decided to spec out and into a poison arrow build.

i also run an explosive arrow build, again with dual curses and frenzy charges to get the max out of everything. elemental weakness and flammability mean they'll take the most damage and burn damage that i can dish out. i can do maps with 75% fire resistance without much issue.
Enjoying your build. Currently 77th level in Warbands.

One alternative I have been using is forsaking blood rage for the combination of using frenzy for group clear as well as for single target. Using that for frenzy charges makes Darkray Vector boots workable. With 8 frenzy charges up, that gives a 62% Dodge Chance (40 from Accro + 6 from Daresso's Defiance + 16 from Darkray Vectors.)
"

One alternative I have been using is forsaking blood rage for the combination of using frenzy for group clear as well as for single target. Using that for frenzy charges makes Darkray Vector boots workable. With 8 frenzy charges up, that gives a 62% Dodge Chance (40 from Accro + 6 from Daresso's Defiance + 16 from Darkray Vectors.)

have you tried blood dance boots?
i love frenzy charge builds (used to have one with 10 charges) but in today's game i think i prefer blood dance for the crazy regen you can end up having.
i think the regen out-weighs the importance of the extra dodge chance, just because its always present and effective vs physical as well as spell damage, where as the dodge is just vs spell dmg.

both of my current bow builds now run around 1100 hp per second regen with 8 frenzy charges and more regen from the tree, plus a relatively high max hp. it just ensures that i can regen anything thats taken from me
"
xMustard wrote:
"

i love frenzy charge builds (used to have one with 10 charges) but in today's game i think i prefer blood dance for the crazy regen you can end up having.
i think the regen out-weighs the importance of the extra dodge chance, just because its always present and effective vs physical as well as spell damage, where as the dodge is just vs spell dmg.

both of my current bow builds now run around 1100 hp per second regen with 8 frenzy charges and more regen from the tree, plus a relatively high max hp. it just ensures that i can regen anything thats taken from me

I leveled with blood dance, but when I found a pair of dark ray vectors for sale with a corruption giving + 1 to all gems, I had to give them a try.
"
"
xMustard wrote:
"

I leveled with blood dance, but when I found a pair of dark ray vectors for sale with a corruption giving + 1 to all gems, I had to give them a try.

Darkray Vectors are great, but you should use either +1 to frenzy charges, or +2-4% chance to dodge corruption. Also, you should use Daresso's Defiance or even Hyrri's Ire. Grabbing 3 frenzy charges from tree and +1 from quest, you'll have 64-66% chance to dodge with Darresso, and 68-70% with Hyrri.
Yes, that looks very good on paper, but in practice,
Darkray Vactors have many disadvantages (aside from obvious no HP roll and below average resist). They grant 0 movespeed without charges, although with all charges up movespped bonus is amazing (+40-45%). You dont like to move like a snail without charges, so losing them is very bad.
They strongly require taking ALL frenzy charge duration nodes on the tree, because of charge duration drawback and too heavy charge-dependance. In my build, that means +2 extra nodes spent, and my build is the most favourable for Darkray Vectors, actually (i still use Blood Dance though).
And at last, dodge chance isnt so big deal for ranged class - you shouldnt allow melee hard-hitters comeclose anyway. IF they do, thay still HAVE a chance to oneshot you (even though it's lower due to dodge).

Using frenzy for group clear isnt worth it imo.... It's much easier to use Blood Rage and/or Frenzy from time to time to keep up charges, rather than mindlessly using Frenzy to clear packs.
You can even get Doedre's Elixir flask to ensure you'll keep charges up if something went wrong. It's still much better than use Frenzy for pack clearing.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
Spoiler
"
AngryCustard wrote:

I should post up a video using lioneyes you'll see even on 78+ maps there is no problem killing pacs in 1-2 hits with lioneyes let alone a high damage crit bow so I don't see the point running faster attacks.

Maybe that means you've invested too much items/passives into DPS, and should use them to increase tankiness instead?
Though i agree, with LG, Faster Attacks can be too mana-intensive. It still provides great DPS boost, but you proably wont be able to sustain it, at least, without several "+2 mana per hit" jewels.

I just leveled to 92 with this character playing the highest level maps both myself and a guild mate had available to us at that time. It was a simple process and the 4.6K Life I have was more than enough, probably not enough for Core Malachai or Uber Atziri, but fine for everything else.

"

Hey man glad you are enjoying the build. Darkray are a good choice of boot, I don't use them for two main reasons. Brinerot Whalers are best in slot, and the reduced frenzy charge duration is annoying. But with Brinerot not being readily available after this league ends Darkray are a very good option for the next league. If you can afford a +1 Frenzy charge corrupted set then great.

"
MortalKombat3 wrote:

Darkray Vectors are great, but you should use either +1 to frenzy charges, or +2-4% chance to dodge corruption. Also, you should use Daresso's Defiance or even Hyrri's Ire. Grabbing 3 frenzy charges from tree and +1 from quest, you'll have 64-66% chance to dodge with Darresso, and 68-70% with Hyrri.
Yes, that looks very good on paper, but in practice,
Darkray Vactors have many disadvantages (aside from obvious no HP roll and below average resist). They grant 0 movespeed without charges, although with all charges up movespped bonus is amazing (+40-45%). You dont like to move like a snail without charges, so losing them is very bad.
They strongly require taking ALL frenzy charge duration nodes on the tree, because of charge duration drawback and too heavy charge-dependance. In my build, that means +2 extra nodes spent, and my build is the most favourable for Darkray Vectors, actually (i still use Blood Dance though).
And at last, dodge chance isnt so big deal for ranged class - you shouldnt allow melee hard-hitters comeclose anyway. IF they do, thay still HAVE a chance to oneshot you (even though it's lower due to dodge).

Using frenzy for group clear isnt worth it imo.... It's much easier to use Blood Rage and/or Frenzy from time to time to keep up charges, rather than mindlessly using Frenzy to clear packs.
You can even get Doedre's Elixir flask to ensure you'll keep charges up if something went wrong. It's still much better than use Frenzy for pack clearing.

I agree if you can afford a +1 Frenzy charge Darkray it's probably best in slot for a Frenzy build. However this is the poor mans guide. And lets face it, starting a league we're all poor and even a 5L is hard going for the first couple of weeks. Let alone a nice to have piece of gear like +1 Darkrays.
Last edited by AngryCustard on Sep 23, 2015, 7:43:13 PM
"
AngryCustard wrote:
Hey man glad you are enjoying the build. Darkray are a good choice of boot, I don't use them for two main reasons. Brinerot Whalers are best in slot, and the reduced frenzy charge duration is annoying. But with Brinerot not being readily available after this league ends Darkray are a very good option for the next league. If you can afford a +1 Frenzy charge corrupted set then great.

Just as a clarification, all Darkray Vectors are plus one frenzy charge. My corruption is +1 level to all gems socketed. (I don't recall the exact price, but the seller added little, if anything, to the price for the corruption.)

I was also concerned about the decreased duration of frenzy charges. It was my hope that frenzy/gmp/chain would generate enough charges that I was unlikely to run out until all the bad guys were dead. So far, it's worked out that way.

"
"
AngryCustard wrote:

Just as a clarification, all Darkray Vectors are plus one frenzy charge. My corruption is +1 level to all gems socketed. (I don't recall the exact price, but the seller added little, if anything, to the price for the corruption.)

I was also concerned about the decreased duration of frenzy charges. It was my hope that frenzy/gmp/chain would generate enough charges that I was unlikely to run out until all the bad guys were dead. So far, it's worked out that way.

~chuckle

Yes I am aware that Darkrays are +1 Frenzy. However when I refer to +1 Frenzy Darkrays I'm referring to Darkrays with the corrupted +1 Implicit for a total of +2 Frenzy charges. As of 2.0 You get a lot more increased Frenzy charge duration than you did before. By default you have to take 36% increased just to get the three off the tree. So for mapping it is not a problem, for Atziri it might be a bit bigger issue.
Last edited by AngryCustard on Sep 24, 2015, 2:13:55 AM
"
AngryCustard wrote:

~chuckle

Yes I am aware that Darkrays are +1 Frenzy. However when I refer to +1 Frenzy Darkrays I'm referring to Darkrays with the corrupted +1 Implicit for a total of +2 Frenzy charges. As of 2.0 You get a lot more increased Frenzy charge duration than you did before. By default you have to take 36% increased just to get the three off the tree. So for mapping it is not a problem, for Atziri it might be a bit bigger issue.

DOH!!! My bad.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info