You break the game, or the game breaks you

"
Zed_ wrote:
I think the devs are fine with players outsmarting them in unexpected ways

They're not, they like to pretend they are but they're not. The most recent example I can think of is Blink/Mirror Arrow with minion instability - a clever use of the mechanics to deal decent damage. GGG's response was to slash the life by 80% and add the hack that is damage reduction.

If anyone finds something unusual or effective, GGG will remove it from the game. Unless it's a GGG-approved method like flameblast prolif or flame totem.
Very good read, thanks :)
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
Well said you beautiful man. I'd +1 this if it was possible.

I don't know how Blizzard did it in Diablo 2 but it was perfect.

I think one of the big differences between D2 and PoE is - higher unique drop rate with higher variety in unique stats in D2 BUT no Divine orb.

I remember farming and grinding my way to get a HOTO/Shako/Enigma/etc and succeeding within a time spectrum that didn't bore me to death. However, those Uniques that I acquired were trash and all had crappy rolls and I had to farm even more to truly reach end-game.

I got the taste of end-game without having to spend months grinding and I had a lot of fun. In PoE with the current drop rate, market balance and game difficulty it feels almost like a chore/job and it's only a matter of time until I go on my usual 6 months break from PoE until they release another big patch, unfortunately.
Well written, sir.

+1
"
Well said you beautiful man. I'd +1 this if it was possible.

I don't know how Blizzard did it in Diablo 2 but it was perfect.

I think one of the big differences between D2 and PoE is - higher unique drop rate with higher variety in unique stats in D2 BUT no Divine orb.

I remember farming and grinding my way to get a HOTO/Shako/Enigma/etc and succeeding within a time spectrum that didn't bore me to death. However, those Uniques that I acquired were trash and all had crappy rolls and I had to farm even more to truly reach end-game.

I got the taste of end-game without having to spend months grinding and I had a lot of fun. In PoE with the current drop rate, market balance and game difficulty it feels almost like a chore/job and it's only a matter of time until I go on my usual 6 months break from PoE until they release another big patch, unfortunately.

<3

About Blizzard and Diablo: I described how they did it. They hit the sweet spot of player vs. game power balance. They let us break it in numerous ways and we had to face meaningful but not unreasonable challenges on the road to power.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
I have three friends who are trying to get me into Diablo 3 again. I won't go to it because it's offensive to me as I'm a hardcore Diablo 1 and 2 lover.

I asked why they didn't play Path of Exile. The first thing they said was either "it's boring" or "it's unrewarding", with the other being right after. I see the same things on some other forums I frequent.

The only reason I still play poe is because I already have some items and high level characters. Making a new character? Not a chance. I'm not wasting thirty hours of my time to make another character that may or may not be enjoyable.
Hey Bars,

I agree very much on what you say in your well-written OP. Truly a good feedback post although I am pretty sure it will be absolutely futile and won´t change the philosophy of GGG in any way.

I might add though, that there are two sides to this medal of a "break-the-game"-goal.
Because besides GGGs desire to "balance" the game in the way that it kills even the tankiest and most defensive builds sooner or later with absolute certainty there is also the ever-demanding community that begrudges each other the last crumbles on the plate. Whenever someone posts a good or even insane build you can bet your ass someone is gonna make a post right here in the feedback forum asking for a "fix". Right now I am shaking in my boots that fake dualwielding is next on their list, and I am expecting the worst as a dualwield Reaver was just presented in todays news post and we all know how that story ends (anyone remembers the Build-of-the-week series?)...

My point is, that the ppl in this community and on this very forum are worse than any exile-scum in Wraeclast. Because those would actually be happy to learn how to kill stuff faster, while here ppl are like "someone kills faster than I do, GGG please nerf!". Next thing they do is make a post in General Discussion and complain that the game feels boring and all uniques are crap. You don´t say, fool! Guess what, that is the outcome of you asking for nerfs in the first place because you were so goddamn obsessed with hurting other players.
I better stop here or I really start to rage; I already feel my blood pumping...

So whatever, nice post Bars.

regards
Hold on to yer shite load o´ bloody barnacles on me arse-cockles, me hearty!

IGN: Trapsdrubel
Last edited by Azdrubel on Aug 3, 2015, 3:10:34 PM
"
Azdrubel wrote:
Hey Bars,

I agree very much on what you say in your well-written OP. Truly a good feedback post although I am pretty sure it will be absolutely futile and won´t change the philosophy of GGG in any way.

I might add though, that there are two sides to this medal of a "break-the-game"-goal.
Because besides GGGs desire to "balance" the game in the way that it kills even the tankiest and most defensive builds sooner or later with absolute certainty there is also the ever-demanding community that begrudges each other the last crumbles on the plate. Whenever someone posts a good or even insane build you can bet your ass someone is gonna make a post right here in the feedback forum asking for a "fix". Right now I am shaking in my boots that fake dualwielding is next on their list, and I am expecting the worst as a dualwield Reaver was just presented in todays news post and we all know how that story ends (anyone remembers the Build-of-the-week series?)...

My point is, that the ppl in this community and on this very forum are worse than any exile-scum in Wraeclast. Because those would actually be happy to learn how to kill stuff faster, while here ppl are like "someone kills faster than I do, GGG please nerf!". Next thing they do is make a post in General Discussion and complain that the game feels boring and all uniques are crap. You don´t say, fool! Guess what, that is the outcome of you asking for nerfs in the first place because you were so goddamn obsessed with hurting other players.
I better stop here or I really start to rage; I already feel my blood pumping...

So whatever, nice post Bars.

regards

It's not the PoE community in particular - this is basic human nature. Most people will always stare at what others have and wish for it while begrudging their own lacks. As Rockfeller said when they asked him how much money does a man need to be happy, "just a little more". Most people are also profoundly unhappy because this way of thinking is a psychological trap.

My point is, don't let it affect you. People will be people. Let them stare at each other's hypothetical cups and wail how full other cups are and how empty is theirs.

It's all in the head :)

The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Aug 3, 2015, 3:24:09 PM
I forgot to mention for those that don't remember or haven't played Diablo 2...

Enigma was a runeword (item) that allowed any class to Teleport, similar to PoE's Lightning Warp except it had no travel time and allowed you to teleport THROUGH WALLS over an ENTIRE SCREEN.

That game had some insanely overpowered items but it never made the game worse. Damn, I miss that game. ._.
there is one important distinction
most games mentioned were designed as single-player games from the ground up.

there are very few single player RPGs where you dont feel like a terminator in the last stretch, especially if you feed your inner munchkin and min max your XP (whats called powergaming)

that is because single-player games dont need to balance shit out. or rather, they need to, but they don't HAVE to, and therefore they usually do not- because no one had time for that shit.

the caveat with poe is that it positions itself as a quasi-competitive multiplayer online ARPG. other ARPGs do not. therefore GGG feels obligated to make sure its balanced. but its extremely hard to do given nearly infinite possibilities and customization. every time a new concept is introduced, someone will likely 'break it' with some clever thoughts put in

games like DOTA2 and HoMM series depend on balance. and they have great balance. theres a reason why HoMM3 is STILL to this day played and there are some tourneys. because it was very balanced (excluding the expansions town- conflux is banned from pretty much any tourney). but all of these games the emphasis is on mulitplayer, not campaign (well, Homm3 had great campaigns too)

the problem snowballs when you realize poe is mostly played as a single player. if you dont care about the ladder (and a lot of people dont), then you dont care about competitiveness. however, you still look at new builds, and once one appears that is OP youre like wow great Ill make this one. then the nerf bat comes and youre like 'shit but I wasnt even doing THAT well with the build why did you nerf it ?'

TL;DR:
poe positions itself as competitive, therefore has to balance so no build is op. people who dont compete dont care about balance but will copy op builds. once op build is nerfed, so does your build that didn't compete.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info