Shock Nova

Wipman, the reason it does minimal damage is because you are not hitting with the outer edge of the AoE.
i got a question guys :

If i add area of effect support, will it do more damage at long distance or not ?

Overall question is : how exactly the damage is calculated acording to the distance from the caster

Current exiles under command :

Snoop Lv 73 cold witch Normal
Razagaal Lv 63 Fire summoner witch legacy
Daggoth Lv 50 AoF summoner Templar legacy
its a good skill for builds with a lot of mana & mana regen cause the cost is quite high (even unsupported)
Works really well when you move fast and the enemy moves slow =>
temporal chains, frost wall & increased move speed gear work wonders with this skill
Combine it with Cold snap & Ice spear to freeze/chill enemies for even better results.

Initially i used it as a support skill for enemies resitant to cold but the average damage is so high i now use this as my main means of damage dealing.

Unmodded its on par with my Ice spear (which benifits from + cold damage gear en added lightning damage support)

Compared to other "caster" skill it does a lot of damage but you have to combine it with utility skills to be able to make it deal max damage

I dont think it is overpowered but maybe a smaller radius would make the skill a little bit more risky to use.

Against powerful single opponents it loses a lot of its flair due to the high casting cost and low crit chance.
Used this on my primary hardcore character in .95 along with added lightning damage, IIR & IIQ supports. I rely on zombies instead of temporal chains to keep mobs at the best range for damage.

My skill tree is all spell damage, no spell critical, the energy shield regen nodes, and over to the templar area for more aoe/elemental damage.

At level 58 now, I have met bosses along the way I simply couldn't kill, generally some form of reflect + life regen.

I don't find it overpowered compared to other builds I've played or teamed with. It's strength is in mobs of weaker enemies. But I have had to work for 5-6 minutes many times to whittle down harder pack combinations of bosses/blues.

Most close calls i've had were reflect mobs or merveil (no zombies to help me tank). The zombies and aoe nature made all the bandit leaders easier than my other characters, where merveil was a near death experience each time.
Just wanted to say I'm using this skill as a primary on my lv26 lightning witch and I'm having a blast with it. The dynamic of using it correctly is interesting, especially if you're running with no support (it's my first char so I don't have tons of support gems, and I didn't want to go with minions on this one). Once you get used to the positioning, it's powerful even without anything else, and it's satisfying when you're using it properly and managing large groups with minimal MP usage.
All feedback after this point is for 0.9.6.
Balance & Design
Ok i'am testing it right now, but i want to know something please

Can you detail the damage calculation, i mean inside the "ring" of lightning, is it random or what ?
skill looks rly better :)

"
oldboy wrote:
Ok i'am testing it right now, but i want to know something please

Can you detail the damage calculation, i mean inside the "ring" of lightning, is it random or what ?
skill looks rly better :)

There's no damage scaling on distance anymore - things within the ring area take the listed damage, things not within the ring area (including in the open part in the centre) take not damage). Much simpler.
Thanks for the fast reply

my shock nova damage is 155-2977 that means that inside the area , mobs will take a random damage in that range ?

Thanks again !

Yes. Reduced by their resistances.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info