Ice Nova

I know of lots of people who have ran or are running a successful freeze pulse build, and not a single person running a successful Ice Nova build. The skill is great at early levels, but the damage does not scale properly for higher end content.

Freeze pulse with increased projectile speed can hit offscreen targets, and deals nearly full damage to targets at a fair range. Sure it only hits targets in front of you, but if you just take a step backwards now and then mobs funnel on you anyway. You completely overlooked the huge difference in damage and cast speed by the way. Just look at the average damage of Ice Nova verses pretty much every other spell and you will see how terrible it is.
Note that I never said Ice Nova doesn't suck.
"
johnKeys wrote:

this skill is overpowered.I use it to literally tear-through Act 1 Normal Hardcore, crushing packs of enemies like nothing.

^^ Laughable, johnKeys I suggest you try this on Merciless... endgame content.
"
tzaro wrote:
Can the animation please reflect the actual radius of the skill? I would really like it this could happen. Not just for this skill but for all the skills

^^ This please!
Hi Rory,

"
Ice Nova: Damage at high levels has been increased (around 10% more damage at level 15)

I'm using a 6L chest with the follow gems:

Lvl 17 19% Quality Ice Nova

Lvl 16 20% Quality Added Cold Damage

Lvl 16 Concentrated effect

Lvl 18 Life leech

Lvl 18 Mana Leech

Lvl 8 20% Faster Casting ( I just purchased this in hopes that it might improve Ice Nova)

I'm currently level 70 with 1800 health and most cold/spell dmg nodes.

Because of the huge investment in cold/spell dmg nodes I've had to neglect health and I've made my way to Unwavering Stance node as one stun is certain death for me.

I won't compare my damage to others, as there is no comparison in my opinion, I will say that if I am in a group with 1 other person, I quickly find myself alone. Bigger groups are better as it's more likely that no one will notice my lack of dps.

With Ice Nova, we're talking about a skill that has the same radius and does less damage than casting Discharge with one Frenzy charge. The only way I can think of to make this viable in terms of damage is to find a way of casting Ice Nova extremely frequently, e.g. with Cast on Crit. Has anyone tried this?
I love this game and the company that made it, but don't understand their "balance" changes sometimes. I mean, who really thought that a 10% damage increase was all Ice Nova needed to be viable? I literally don't know of 1 person using it for high end content, and GGG thought that 15 extra damage was going to make all the difference?

Perhaps instead of spending all this time creating art and such for new skills, you should fix/buff the many that do nothing but collect dust in our stashes. Why not commit to working on old skills for one of the smaller content updates? Rather than releasing 1 new skill for players to theorycraft with, you could make 10+ viable again and probably spend less time doing so?
ice nova, need a cast speed buff, or damage buff, or critical buff.
please GGG do it, ice nova really need some love -.-.
i wouldn't mind if the ring's travel speed was slowed down when they do another damage boost. it'll be like a slower AoE version of cold snap + freeze pulse, without extra effects.
This skill is not viable for end game content. Period.
I'm using it with a templar equipped with a Taryn's Shiver with 5 linked sockets. In my skill tree i pick up many related notable passive such as spell damage, Heart of Ice, Frost Walker, Amplify, Blast Radius... I have decent cast speed and critical strike chance and multiplier. I have desperately tried to support it with several different gems (probably ALL the support gems that works with ice nova) in so many combination... As a result i am level 75 and i need a total respec...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info