Final 0.9.4 Patch Notes

"
konfeta wrote:
Lulz. Unless it kills you every time you try to cast something. Given that you can kill yourself with the life absorbing mana flasks, I am actually certain that will be the case.
You can, indeed, cast yourself to death with Blood Magic. Using it in conjunction with Chaos Inoculation would be a very poor build design.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
"
Chris wrote:
The static mod that bows have is "is a bow". It's factored into their damage, like axes. Some bows are faster than others and some have larger/tighter damage ranges. The family itself doesn't have an implicit mod (other than doing good damage at a distance) because then that'd be forced on all bow users. They can choose. If we had different families of bows eventually, they could have their own characteristics.

Axes and bows should show their automods in the tooltip, even if they are the same for the entire item family. Multiple families for bows is really a no-brainer IMO. If you can have sub-families for dex/int shields, you can certainly manage some bow families. :)
The Amazon Basin: A Community of Friends Playing Games

http://www.theamazonbasin.com
"
konfeta wrote:
Lulz. Unless it kills you every time you try to cast something. Given that you can kill yourself with the life absorbing mana flasks, I am actually certain that will be the case.

"
Our goal was not to nerf witches into oblivion.

Well, it's not exactly a "few specific" changes. That's a ton of damage and CC lost (coupled with Fending removal).

Cold Witches will probably feel this nerf the least; if Shock Nova still hits like a truck, Lightning Witches won't feel it too hard either; but Fire Witches might actually dip back into weaksause again.

Wait... fending worked for witches?
I thought they had a knockback built into nova or something?
IGN: Jerk, Princess

http://orbswap.info - the easy way to trade currency
so with the removal of 1 str/int/dex per level we have to spent like 6 or 7 nodes into the other trees to get our gems going again ?

looks to me like a wipe would be the best way to implement all those changes - my 2nd witch is 53% crit and will never change an item after the patch i guess.
And as the notes are live allready all ppl will hoard the items that are no longer possible to get after the patch and stay with those - leading to no feedback with the new changes from many ppl.

cya Deathtiny
level fast, die young and leave a nice looking corpse!
Tinyshideouts: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3260135
Last edited by Deathtiny2266 on Dec 1, 2011, 6:35:46 PM
"

That just goes to show you how insanely overpowered fending is that every damn Nova Witch used it.

"
You can, indeed, cast yourself to death with Blood Magic. Using it in conjunction with Chaos Inoculation would be a very poor build design.

Personally, I think they should allow that combo and remove self kill with Blood Magic.

You can't restore Energy Shield with Flasks, which makes it a very peculiar trade off as it is without strangling that combo at its core.
Last edited by konfeta on Dec 1, 2011, 6:29:52 PM
"
konfeta wrote:
"
Our goal was not to nerf witches into oblivion.

Well, it's not exactly a "few specific" changes. That's a ton of damage and CC lost (coupled with Fending removal).

What damage do you refer to being? The extra critical strike damage? It was never our intention that it would be possible to get that much from items - instead there are passives, curses, support gems, etc to dip into as well.

It is important than when witches check their spell damage after 0.9.4, they note that the reduced value is because we also reduced the value of the monster life across the board. Their relative spell kill speed should be unmodified.

"
taekvideo wrote:
I thought they had a knockback built into nova or something?

Until we fixed it to only work on melee attacks in 0.9.4, yes.

"
OnmyojiOmn wrote:
Axes and bows should show their automods in the tooltip, even if they are the same for the entire item family. Multiple families for bows is really a no-brainer IMO. If you can have sub-families for dex/int shields, you can certainly manage some bow families. :)

It did show the increased damage in hover, but this was removed due to almost unanimous feedback that it was spammy (considering the damage is already shown at the top of the item). Item-hover real estate is of prime value because we want to communicate quickly and easily what an item does with as little text as possible. In the cases of axes and bows, they say exactly what their correct damage is in the damage line.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
"
Chris wrote:
"
Lonexs wrote:
Well great to see some patch notes, though if I'm honest those keystones are a bit of a let down. Nothing really stands out to me, I expected somthing a little more defining I guess.

We'd love to hear your suggestions for more keystones. We have plenty more planned for the future, and the system is literally mostly untested, which is what you beta testers are for! If it causes problems, we can easily change it. I'm sure there will be many iterations to each.

"
Lonexs wrote:
Also as far as I can see this is only going to be a minor buff to weapons at best and bows are still left without a static mod which seems odd. I'm also dreading the change to knockback on flasks, thats really gonna suck for rangers. I guess 9.4 will still be witchs > everyone else for the time being.

Bows are buffed just as much as other weapons in this patch. Also, the stun changes do make quite a large difference now.

The static mod that bows have is "is a bow". It's factored into their damage, like axes. Some bows are faster than others and some have larger/tighter damage ranges. The family itself doesn't have an implicit mod (other than doing good damage at a distance) because then that'd be forced on all bow users. They can choose. If we had different families of bows eventually, they could have their own characteristics.

Our goal was not to nerf witches into oblivion. People have fun playing their witches. Other than a few specific changes (critical strike mods moving around and the curse change), we've tried to leave witches alone while increasing the damage/kill speed/survivability of the other classes to raise their fun.

"
Lonexs wrote:
Edit:When you mention the keystones, is that just a brief description and theres more to them or do they just work as posted in the notes?

That's basically what they say on the character screen.

Well I'm not sure if I'll test the current keystones as they don't appeal to me. I guess we'll have to see how they interact with our current skills.

I only mentioned the static mod as every weapon seems to have one apart from bows. Even wands come with spell damage for example. I just hope the damage increase is a enough, rangers dps can be fairly erratic as it is. I was also at a bit off a loss reading those stun changes, how does that help bow users?

Also I would never dream of nerfing witchs, in my opinion they are the most fun class to play at the moment. It's just everyone else needs to be brought up to that level.
"
Deathtiny2266 wrote:
so with the removal of 1 str/int/dex per level we have to spent like 6 or 7 nodes into the other trees to get our gems going again ?

Many gems have pretty low attribute requirements. You will have to take these into account when re-spending your passives (don't just go get all the old passives you had before or go straight for keystones). The requirements game actually matters a lot more now and we've had great feedback on it being more fun.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
"
Lonexs wrote:
I only mentioned the static mod as every weapon seems to have one apart from bows. Even wands come with spell damage for example. I just hope the damage increase is a enough, rangers dps can be fairly erratic as it is. I was also at a bit off a loss reading those stun changes, how does that help bow users?

The stun changes help melee players more than bow users, but they will prevent the stunlock that occurs when a bow user is retreating through monsters. I play a Ranger myself in hardcore, so I feel how dangerous this was in 0.9.3.

"
Lonexs wrote:
Also I would never dream of nerfing witchs, in my opinion they are the most fun class to play at the moment. It's just everyone else needs to be brought up to that level.

I completely agree. I really hope 0.9.4 achieves this (and so far in testing people seem to appreciate the improvements there with their weapon-based characters). If we get it wrong, we can just keep trying until everyone's having as much fun as the witches were :)
"
What damage do you refer to being? The extra critical strike damage? It was never our intention that it would be possible to get that much from items - instead there are passives, curses, support gems, etc to dip into as well.

Intention or not, but I will lose almost 250% critical chance from items if I change up the legacy gear. That's actually a massive nerf. Perhaps the point reduction will let me make up the difference with passives, but I strongly doubt it.

On the bright side, I can update most of my gear with basic +spell damage and cast speed; but honestly, that doesn't feel as interesting. I had fun with the crit focus, where regular attacks barely scratched enemies but crits ended them.

I guess I shouldn't call it a "nerf" but more of an enforced playstyle change.
Last edited by konfeta on Dec 1, 2011, 6:37:36 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info