[Curse Immune] should become [Decreased Curse Effect]

At one point in PoE's development history, Curses were simple stand-alone gems. Now we have several passive clusters, unique items like Dying Breath, and special support gems like Curse on Hit. The term "Curse build" is considered by the community at large as a valid play-style. In fact, due to how curses from multiple players do not stack, having only one person responsible for curses is an ideal group strategy.

Unlike Diablo 2, monsters in PoE can have high elemental resists but they are never wholly immune. A Fire-immune monster would completely shut down a fire build, making it unreliable and halting progress for those players. Instead, against high resistances, players have tools to counter and reduce those resists, such as with support gems like Fire Penetration, curses like Flammability, and passives like Elemental Equilibrium. This keeps the gameplay moving forward and adds intricacies to build decisions.

Bosses and Rogue Exiles have an innate curse resistance (Decreased Curse Effect), up to 70% for Act bosses. This can be directly counteracted by Increased Curse Effect, such as from passives and several items. This ensures Curse builds can still be valid during a boss fight. If bosses were instead made to be Curse Immune, those players would be useless to a group and excluded.

The map and monster pack affix Curse Immune should be changed into a Decreased Curse Effect. Reduced effectiveness is far better for game health than a complete shutdown of otherwise game-supported tactics and build investments.

EDIT:
The [of Congealment] map mod has been added to the pool in patch 2.0.1b. This gives monsters Life and Mana Leech immunity.

It's only on higher tier maps and rarer than most? So what? GGG, please stop adding new types of monster immunity and dial the playability binary down to a manageable [Reduced Effectiveness] paradigm.

---------------------------------------
Last edited by Hercanic on Aug 4, 2015, 9:54:23 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
+1

This mod is also insanely common to roll for maps.
I suggested similar a long time ago. Two mods: reduced effect, and reduced duration, both of which can appear as a mob affix, and a map affix.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
I agree! In terms of maps, would you be inclined to run a map if it rolled decreased curse effect instead of curse immune? I run an Oro's build that strictly deals fire damage. I have always rerolled my maps if they either rolled + fire res or EE.
+1
Yep, this has been suggested many times. Cusre immune completely shut down curse based build. There are not many of such mods at these days. perhaps Blood Magic for CI builds (but there is not many CI builds around at these days for several reasons).

I kinda wonder that builds which focus their dmg to single element has sooo many annoying map mods, while long term FotM crit builds have basically none.

Enfeeble doesnt count since its equal pain for crti based build like for fire dmg incinerator.

Then you have Curse Immune, Elemental Equilibrium and Resists. Plus Curse Immune is very common roll.
Last edited by Diphal on Jul 21, 2015, 5:43:57 AM
This is another "build check" affix that really adds nothing to the game: for those that rely on it... It makes the map undoable, while for everyone else, it's just free +quantity.

Though I didn't see it repeated here, I saw a REALLY good, simple suggestion from before, to replace it with "enemies can have one fewer curse." For those that just happen to use curses on the side for a slight boost... It's the same as before: no using them. (which is what the mod was BALANCED around, I think) Meanwhile, curse-based builds will feel some substantial risk and challenge: they'll only be able to use 1-2 curses per monster instead of their usual full number.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
I agree.

it's even worse for solo players seeing they rely on the curses they specced so hard in.
which is why I'll never do a curse centric build aslong the immunity exists

immunity should not be possible on things that can be the centric point of a build.
I've been saying this ever since they introduced it.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
i think most people have been saying this , it is rather perplexing that ggg has reduced curse effectiveness in the game , it works exactly like how they wanted it too (makes curses something you need to invest in to work well) and they haven't translated it to this very awkward mod.

curse build is a viable build. and every curse build just alt/ chaos a map with this mod on it rather than running it. that means as a challenge mechanic , curse immunity fails .

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info