[2.0] Flame totem - still OP AF [UPDATED]

EDIT: UPDATE

Ive gaing few levels but my items are still kinda shitty. Build still works very good. Here you go:

Skill tree:
Passive skill tree build

Im not sure how where to go with the skill tree, but currently im trying to get all cast speed i can get, it looks like it gives the most dps.

This is with herald of thunder and ice

Old version
Spoiler

People are saying that flame totem got nerfed but in my experience its still really strong. It just melts everything. You all probably already know the build, but i cant find it on forums so take a look here:

Skill tree

Currently im lvl 47 and tree isnt complete, but basically im just going to take fire dmg nodes at north corner, all HP nodes i can get and maybe totem nodes next to blood magic.

Im using faster casting, faster projectiles and added lighting support gems, with herald of thunder and ice and that gives me 2.1k dps which melts everything.

In my opinion GGG should nerf it just a bit more.

update: i forgot to link my shitty items, here they are

as you can see they are rly fucking shitty, which means you dont need to stuff for this build. also, im forgot to mention im planning to take elemental equilibrium later, i think that its gonna be great.

Last edited by turki01 on Jul 26, 2015, 4:40:28 AM
Get a +2 fire gems weapon, put FT+fire pen+FCasting and feel the real power ))
The main thing about any totem build that really makes it OP is that it is so safe. With smart totem placement you can literally avoid most mob aggro so you can go heavy into DPS nodes on the tree. Most boss fights you can just cast totems over and over while you run around in circles avoid damage. Even if you had weak totems that aspect doesn't go away.

The closest other example of a build like this is the summoner, but they really have to spec out minion nodes on the tree and/or use minion gems to really be an effective build. But clearly totem builds don't have to do this anywhere close as heavily, because our totems are just re-castable.

So my point is rather than nerfing, if GGG feels the need to make changes to the flame totem (and any totems in general) they should merely "move" more of the damage off of the gem and into the tree. So in a since you would be "nerfing" the gem, but buffing the totem nodes so essentially the damage output could be the same as it is now.

I still feel like most of the totem nodes are pretty laughable, especially the non-crit ones. With an 8 second totem, what is the deal with all the added life nodes? And if you are crit you are probably recasting every 4 seconds for the crit buff, so again what is with all the life nodes. So in this sense it would fit to make the gem less powerful and the nodes more powerful damage-wise not added life.

Late game, crit totems builds are another story but in my experience about all of the late game crit builds because OP, but I don't see anything wrong with that. It is what we all are working toward anyway.
Last edited by ansizf on Jul 14, 2015, 9:39:30 AM
FT is OP for lvling your toon thats for sure but is it really OP for lategame? can you beat uber atziri or lvl 80+ map boss with zombie mode? i bet you have no clue..... so umm... before suggesting a nerf or anything think about that first ;)
lol its just 47 lvl.
Dude, everything is OP at level 47... lol
3.3 RF Trickster SSF HC guide :

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2147256
So what are totem builds biggest weakest in the endgame? Do the totems die first or the caster?
"
kuranai777 wrote:
FT is OP for lvling your toon thats for sure but is it really OP for lategame? can you beat uber atziri or lvl 80+ map boss with zombie mode? i bet you have no clue..... so umm... before suggesting a nerf or anything think about that first ;)

this. im lvl 82 + lvl 19FT. after 70s maps it begins to suck. i struggle even in 2p parties
"
ansizf wrote:
The main thing about any totem build that really makes it OP is that it is so safe. With smart totem placement you can literally avoid most mob aggro so you can go heavy into DPS nodes on the tree. Most boss fights you can just cast totems over and over while you run around in circles avoid damage. Even if you had weak totems that aspect doesn't go away.

Agreed. DPS-totems are either totally op or totally useless. There can't really be something in between.
What about... both?

Or, low life totem? haah

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info