Shadow Trapper/Mine build

I am really just looking for help with a trap build that is not too gear specific, meaning the requirement of any particular uniques. I put together a passive tree with what I think should be for a trap build. Please throw in your 2 cents about the build. Also include detailed descriptions when correcting where my faults where with the passive tree and anything I missed to include in the passive tree.

Here is the passive tree:

In particular I want to know if a trap/mine acts as a projectile or a spell. Knowing this primarily allows us to go further in the build to add either specific effects for said specific type of ability. For example if it is accounted for as a projectile then one may use increased projectile damage (dmg) or projectile speed into the build and if it is a spell one could use increased cast speed and spell dmg.

With this build I want to primarily use Freeze Mine (FM), Lightning Trap (LT), and Smoke Mine (SM). For the play style I want to use the FM for obvious reasons like "ALWAYS FREEZES ENEMIES" and for the AoE that it provides. I also believe that it will also allow the setup of other mines like the LT. But LT will be our primary dmg dealer I believe as it has the highest base dmg in comparison with FM. And if there should be any means of avoiding dmg I feel that SM would take care of our concerns.

In addition, my major concern is Bear Trap (TP). My worry lies with the fact that where do we get our physical (phys) dmg from. And will we be able to get all the benefits of increasing our elemental dmg if we go after phys dmg nodes in the passive tree or all the phys dmg without sacrificing any elemental dmg. And will we be able to make BT do a considerable amount of dmg to out way the dmg of LT. Will any risks that you can think of that can occur while balancing between phys dmg and elemental dmg be worth it.

As for gear I want to implement Fencoil Gnarled Branch and Deerstalker Deerskin Boots just because they are self found uniques and would like to know if they are viable to the build. (Side note: sorry I do not know how to link the images of the items)
Free Bump. I would also be interested in some insight to crit trappers in the new league
hey im trying to do a trapper build too. how are things going? maybe we can bounce some stuff off of each other. I'm in the same boat-- traps are confusing as to what type of modifiers affect them the most.

One thing I learned recently is that lightning traps can't apply shock. Also, spell damage will affect the damage that happens the moment someone steps on a light trap, but it doesn't apply to the projectiles that shoot outwards.

what lvl are you so far?
Heyho,
I started the the league as a Tri-Crit-Trapper. Cureently level 59 act 4 cruel and its working fine.

Planned Skill Tree:
Spoiler
http://cb.poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYARXyXl_v1tDjlGYw2B2PLvRa_VUth4lBCoi4OSF3ycNWJ03BS44QbyNvnz91sCPGKcFGzAzIYUzG0xcLsBbWNv1FH51Qk_f_eCNSKBvD5EZYHHpUu8NVJUY_66_VknfIdf8aio1F0GoGmmcHzlSBrF7zqwFRqQwj0LR9MswQHg9tVxjpY6-RfKq6zQZbQ9SBuUDAN0WNDHwI2xdgkpwhyD3GFRtexQtq5j0YdFI5k96a2-iaV215XKYV9FkBmnvrSFm_jah7wt3VtGQ==

Links I want to use:

Fire Trap + Fire Pen + Profi. + Concentrated Effect
used for single target aswell vs bosses you can swap profi. for increased crit dmg)

Lighting Trap + Lightning Pen + Multi Traps + Profi.

Deerstalker Boots: Coldsnap + Cold Pen + Multitraps + Profi.

Clarity + Reduced Mana + Clarity

Artic Armor

Beartrap + Culling Strike + Item Rarity (Finisher)

This build works fine so far. Have to bring Vorici to level 4 to finally use my Deerstalkers.
Sunblastbelt is also a rly nice item I´m using and both items are rly cheap!

Throw lightning trap 2 times and everything falls apart.

Due to the fact that the new Keystone provides powercharges on kills +2 additional from tree +1 in merci bandits and the +4%spelldmg for each powercharge you will get a rly hughe dmg buff (6x4=24%).

Just using selffound except sunblast and deerstalker and my dps is around 1,5k with firetrap 2k with lighnting trap
Last edited by XRacKS on Jul 14, 2015, 6:02:17 AM
Hey XrackS, can you update your build link? It's broken atm.

edit: Ok, it's working now. How do you feel your defenses are? I see you went really light on life, how come? It seems really low but it might be just my previous HC experience talking, idk :). Any reason you haven't extended your build down to Elemental Equilibirum to benefit from tri-spec?

I'm playing a lightning trapper, also self found + Deerstalker and Sunblast.

My tree at lvl 60:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYABAcHHgj0DkgRDxFQEZYTnh1PHvAmlSepLR8tfTIYNbk7DUV8RwZJUUmxTLNPr1MxVUtVxl3yXyph4me9akNtGXBRdm9-M35Zfq9-sH_Ggh6D24w2jRmP-pMnlSCVLpeXoqOkkacrrJizA7Q4tYW3dbzqwFTBtMHz0B_Q0NfP2FTZX9vn3YzgEuUZ6-TuFe9Q74jv6_DV9On31_k3-_U=

I'm using LT+multitraps+added lightning damage+pierce and Shock Nova+multitraps in Deerstalker. For single target I'm using Storm Call+FC+echo+Lightning Penetration.

Auras are Clarity and HoT, I'll likely add either Discipline or Purity of Elements next.

It's been working out quite well so far, I'm currently in act 2 merc and I still blow most things up with one cast of each trap. Elemental res and lightning res mobs are a minor issue, even conductivity doesn't help much. I'm also unsure about where to take my defense next, I'm currently going for the closest ES nodes since I don't really see an alternative.

Once I get to lvl 70 I was thinking of getting Blast Cascade and Jaws of Agony to try out a crit spec but that takes one more slot with resist away so I'm not sure.

I'd welcome any tips, thanks.
Last edited by Bawtzki on Jul 14, 2015, 1:21:17 PM
heyho got 1,8k hp and around 50% ele resist. its rly okish healthwise beacause Throw->Run-Repeat ^^

i dont pick ele equilibrium due to boss reasons. idk mb ill pick it up when i reach my spec
And what is your crit chance with traps? I'm not familiar with mechanics but it looks like only the spell's flat crit chance is taken as base and weapon is completely ignored. Just wondering how long it takes you to get charges up and so on.

Also, why did you path via dex nodes at the top right jewel slot? If you went with power node + one more int you could then grab the 30 dex node and get more out of it I think.
Last edited by Bawtzki on Jul 14, 2015, 4:18:24 PM
"
Bawtzki wrote:
And what is your crit chance with traps? I'm not familiar with mechanics but it looks like only the spell's flat crit chance is taken as base and weapon is completely ignored. Just wondering how long it takes you to get charges up and so on.

Also, why did you path via dex nodes at the top right jewel slot? If you went with power node + one more int you could then grab the 30 dex node and get more out of it I think.

Thx for the node hint. Just went this way to grab it. I just forgot about it. Currently I´m in act 2 merc and doing fine. HP is around 2k now. Sometimes I got to use a mana Flask but thats ok. Powercharges are built up pretty quickly due to the fact, that you manly play against groups/packs. The downside is, that you cant build up powercharges vs bosses. Just found volls yesterday. MB ill try with it. Ill try to post my crit chances tonight.

UPDATE:

current tree with level 62
Spoiler
http://cb.poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYBRXyXl_v1tDjlGYw2B2PLvRa_VUth4lBCoi4OSF3ycNWJ03BS44QbyNvnbAjxinBRswMyGFMxtMXC7AW1jb9RR-dUJP3_3gjUigbw-RGWBx6VLvDVSVGP-uv1ZJ3yHX_GoqNRdBqBppnB85Ugaxe86sBUakMI9C0fTLMEB4PbVcY6WOvkXyqus0GW0PUgblAwDdFjQx8CNsXYJKcIj0YdFI5k96a2-iaV214e8Ld1bRny4UcG

I think about getting elemental equilibrium now thx to u xD (more reg ane ele equi.)
Spoiler
http://cb.poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYBRXyXl_v1tDjlGYw2B2PLvRa_VUth4lBCoi4OSF3ycNWJ03BS44QbyNvnbAjxinBRswMyGFMxtMXC7AW1jb9RR-dUJP3_3gjUigbw-RGWBx6VLvDVSVGP-uv1ZJ3yHX_GoqNRdBqBppnB85Ugaxe86sBUakMI9C0fTLMEB4PbVcY6WOvkXyqus0GW0PUgblAwDdFjQx8CNsXYJKcIj0YdFI5k96a2-iaV214e8Ld1bRny4UcG6-6a4EWdU1L60hZv42okqjbpHNy4kyj6mK0=

or getting my "old" path (more dmg less reg)
Spoiler
http://cb.poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYBRXyXl_v1tDjlGYw2B2PLvRa_VUth4lBCoi4OSF3ycNWJ03BS44QbyNvnbAjxinBRswMyGFMxtMXC7AW1jb9RR-dUJP3_3gjUigbw-RGWBx6VLvDVSVGP-uv1ZJ3yHX_GoqNRdBqBppnB85Ugaxe86sBUakMI9C0fTLMEB4PbVcY6WOvkXyqus0GW0PUgblAwDdFjQx8CNsXYJKcIj0YdFI5k96a2-iaV214e8Ld1bRny4UcG-tIWb-NqZp5yD3GF8xGxQtq5RtcWQIV9

or getting the more tankier approach
Spoiler
http://cb.poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYBRXyXl_v1tDjlGYw2B2PLvRa_VUth4lBCoi4OSF3ycNWJ03BS44QbyNvnbAhwUbMDMhhTMbTFwuwFtY2_UUfnVCT9_94I1IoG8PkRlgcelS7w1UlRj_rr9WSd8h1_xqKjUXQagaaZwfOVIGsXvOrAVGpDCPQtH0yzBAeD21XGOljr5F8qrrNBltD1HwI2xdgkpwiPRh0UjmT3prb6JpUe8Ld1bRlHBvrSFm_jamaecg9xhfMRsULauUbXz93xijB8jX0j9k2S6-6a4EWdU1I=

due to the new act we got plenty of refunds left. ill report back when i got pics. btw my bandits are:
oak (40hp)
skill point
alira (+1 power charge)
Last edited by XRacKS on Jul 15, 2015, 3:14:02 AM
I wonder if Voll (assuming you mean the chest) will work with traps, since leech and other similar mechanics don't.

In any case, I look forward to your next progress report. I first started running into minor dps problems in a3 merc but it's heavy on lightning resistant mobs so I don't know if it's an accurate benchmark or not. My single target remains abysmal and that's the #1 reason I'd like to move towards crit spec so I could try other options like Flame Surge.

When you post crit chances, can you include the entire tab for skills? I'm specifically interested in your damage range for Lightning trap, just to see how much I'd lose out on.
Last edited by Bawtzki on Jul 15, 2015, 4:26:55 AM
"
Bawtzki wrote:
I wonder if Voll (assuming you mean the chest) will work with traps, since leech and other similar mechanics don't.

In any case, I look forward to your next progress report. I first started running into minor dps problems in a3 merc but it's heavy on lightning resistant mobs so I don't know if it's an accurate benchmark or not. My single target remains abysmal and that's the #1 reason I'd like to move towards crit spec so I could try other options like Flame Surge.

When you post crit chances, can you include the entire tab for skills? I'm specifically interested in your damage range for Lightning trap, just to see how much I'd lose out on.

Hey,
yeah sry I mean the chest (just found it yesterday) - mb ill try it in the next day.
Currently I dont have any problems regarding my dps 2x3 (multitraps = lightning and coldsnap) and everything is dead meanwhile my icegolem is taunting the enemies and i thorow firetraps at the remaining ones... killspeed is rly good :) the powercharges are up and running after the first pack because u get "15% chance of power charge when trap is triggered by an enemy)...
I´m currently at work but I will defently post my traps tonight (hopefully im fast enough to catch with power charges and w/o). Mana could turn into a problem but mb ill use deciplin and eldrich then... we´ll see ill report back in around 6hours

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info