[1.3] Mout's flameblast non crit build RF/Dual Curse (up to 4,1k damage clear speed) HC/SC viable

Hi, it's Mout, and i hope you will enjoy this build as much as i do. By the way, this is my first build showcase!

Quick note : the "cheap" RF build totally doable in 1 month league (SC or HC) is in the second post.

A little about me :
Spoiler

First of all, i have played this build since 1.1 and played a lot of characters since the open beta.
I consider myself as an experienced theorycrafter & normally i never post a build because i dislike the market impact it has, potential nerf which can occur and to see many copies of the same build during parties.
But the incoming change in 2.0 forced me to post this build as a reminder & will provide you, i hope, nice data.

I really dislike the focus on Flameblast as "lameblast" in short leagues & the impact that occur in closed beta because it's clear that there are other spells that are on par with it in live for the same kind of investment and yet the reactions are nowhere as bad.

Last but not least : English is not my main language, sorry if there are mistakes.

I post "another Flameblast build" because i think that there is a combination of items that are totally overlooked and that can totally compete the existing meta items for flameblasters from a cheap price to expensive price and can carry you until the very end game.
Furthermore, my tree is kinda unique because i don't need to focus on ignite chance nor duration nor burning.

Even with physical damage dealers (and there are a lot in this game), i can be ignited :

Thanks to
for epic free cast speed.

Crit or non crit build
Spoiler

Non crit build. Flameblast is only 5% crit chance and you need to go really deep in critical strike chance to get higher than 50% chance to crit and have a semi reliable crit build.
You pay the price in term of life, items, defense, and of course in term of currencies because crit builds have never been cheap.
Furthermore, when a crit build will have a higher tooltip, in term of map clearing i'm pretty sure that a non crit Flameblast one is superior and furthermore safer with a better control without any issues for boss.

Crit builds remain interesting with fast cast/attack builds where the flask filling can be very interesting, but Flameblast is not a built-in spammable spell.

Specifics of the build :
Spoiler

First of all, i was trying since the beginning to find a way to use the Cloak of Flame chest until extreme late game. In 1.1, many people despise this item but i was sure that it was the offensive way of Cloak of defiance & way more viable item than a lightning coil (in term of chromatics opportunity cost and auras impact).

With the appearance of Mokou's embrace in the 1.2.0 patch i was able to see immediately the synergy of the 2 items.

And nothing to spoil, these objects are at unbeatable prices.

Objectives of it :
To be ignited by nearly most physical attacks & fire attack and to synergy with arctic armour until some points (i wanted to keep being ignite-able).

1.3.0 patch opened new possibilities in term of damage with the rework of the templar for our own good.

Torment league (so now standard softcore) allow us to get an already legacy unique (at cheap price before the end of the league) that would totally comply the objective of the build, sadly the price fly through the rough now :/ .

Key points of the build :
Spoiler

+ Unwavering Stance (immunity to stun and avoidance against desync + help the self-ignition procs)
+ Eldritch Battery (no issue with RF degeneration even in party with discipline user, allow you to get the herald of thunder)
+ Quite high mana pool & mana regeneration to sustain auras & mana cost up to a 6L Flameblast (and semi high level arctic armour if needed)
+ Quite high life even with a lot of uniques
+ High life regeneration even without righteous fire for really high sustain.
+ High life regeneration to sustain righteous fire with Inner force & Athletism nodes (& partially self damage & self ignite) in end game.
+ High fire resist to sustain righteous fire & be immune to reflect damage with a ruby's flask in end game.
+ Able to shock with the use of Herald of Thunder and Flameblast as damage dealer (remember the 10 stacks that will provide a boost to lightning damage too).
+ Dual curse
+ Very good clear speed (even if i think we can't compete with the top clearers due to the very nature of Flameblast) to top speed with Vaal molten shell activation (thx scold's & Cloak of flame/Mokou's embrace combination).
+ Good to very good survivability depending of the variation of the items
+ Kinda OK build to go in XP gear or MF gear ==> swiss knife
+ Very solid build for PvP (see the weaknesses below)
+ Insane stacking of strength in order to get flat life & potentially convert that damage through iron will.
+- Enemies relying on very fast movement speed are dangerous but with smartplay are doable until they overplay you.
- Only big weakness remains chaos damage especially in PvP

Quest reward :
Spoiler
Normal : Oak (40 maximum life)
Cruel : Kill all (point)
Merciless : Kill all (point)

Standard Softcore specific version :
Spoiler

This guide is focused at the moment on the SC version because there is a specific item which appeared in the torment league. But later on i will take the time to speak about the HC variant that i used efficiently during some 1mHC leagues.

That item in combination with Mokou's embrace & cloak of flame allow you to be permanently ignited & so on to just profit of the OPness of the Mokou's rings.

"
I can be ignited by casting lightning warp & flammability curse also so there is no reason to not be self-ignited 99,99% of the time (except when you just appear in the map :D)!

When using these 2 last spells my regeneration allow me to be immediately full life (even with RF on).

When using Flameblast i'm degenerating a bit (not scary at all) until i proc CwDT setup and that is quite often with a CwDT setup level 7 (0,40 second without any creeps around and ofc more if enduring cry gives me some charges, but normally i don't cast it for nothing). Life leech (1%) & flask do the trick if needed with my current tree.
if i get my hand on "armour mastery node" (0,5% life regeneration per second), or even a life regeneration node from the scion wheel (0,4% life regeneration per second), it will allow me to fully deny it.

you can just see that image to confirm that i can control the ignition :

Synergy :
Spoiler
* RF act as a damage multiplier and a AoE of offense/defense against melee or you can pro actively jump into the enemy.
* Life regeneration can be nearly totally available (minus 1%) just when you use a ruby's flask and act as a second layer of defense if you need it
* Life regeneration allow you to deal with the damage of Scold's bridle
* Eldritch Battery allow you to control the degeneration by removing the ES in the RF damage calculation and allow you to get your hand on Herald of Thunder.
* Herald of Thunder additional damage is working with all the multiplier of Flameblast and allow you to shock packs for 50% more damage.
* Scold's bridle increase the damage dealt by a lot and deals physical damage on you
* Cloak of flame convert any form of direct physical damage in fire damage
* Fire damage can ignite you very easily with mokou's embrace rings use (25% chance to be ignited per ring)
* If ignited you unlock the potential of Mokou's embrace rings (20% cast speed & attack speed per ring).
* Inner force boost each buffs (heralds, RF buff, auras, Arctic Armour) even if there is sometimes a price to pay (need more life/mana regeneration in general)
examples :
RF provide after buff bonus : 74% more damage (at the place of 59%)
Purity of fire : + 5% max fire resist (at the place of 4%)
Vitality : 2.079% life regeneration (at the place of 1.65)

* Cloak of flame & Mokou's embrace provide up to 30% free chance to ignite, with the built in quality of Flameblast skill (30% chance to ignite) and the 2 nodes (Elementalist & Celestial punishement), you're up to 70% chance to ignite without real investment in the tree. Flammability adds 14% chance to ignite at level 20 (84%). Doryani's invitation (if used) adds 10% chance to ignite on flask (94%) effect. Cloak of flame add furthermore up to 50% ignite duration.

Vaal Molten Shell abuse:
Spoiler
In the damage version i have 2 slots used for Vaal molten shell that is placed with increased duration 20/20 (and enhance level 3). It's more than enough to be permanently under VMS with a good clear speed on a pack size or fracture map and nearly no risk for great reward. With Flameblast and his nearly 10 cast per second, the effectiveness is kinda close to an incinerate build with Scold's bridle but, here, i can clear 2 packs at once.

Offense :
Clear speed setup no flask:

Spoiler

6L :
Flameblast 21/20
Empower 4
Spell echo 20/20
Elemental proliferation 20/20
Fire penetration 20/20
Increased area of effect 20/20

Righteous fire 20/20 activated with enhance level 3
Self-ignited (without 6.8 cast per second)
chest non corrupted

Other setups :
Spoiler

Clear speed setup with Atziri's promise
Spoiler

Self-ignited
chest non corrupted

Boss with adds :
Spoiler

6L :
Flameblast 21/20
Empower 4
Spell echo 20/20
Elemental proliferation 20/20
Fire penetration 20/20
concentrated effect 20/20

chest non corrupted

Boss with adds and Atziri's promise
Spoiler

Same setup than previous one with just Atziri's promise

PvP or boss without adds and concentrated effect :
Spoiler

6L :
Flameblast 21/20
Empower 4
Spell echo 20/20
faster casting 20/20
Fire penetration 20/20
concentrated effect 20/20

Self-ignited ==> 11.8 cast speed (without 9.4 cast per second)
chest non corrupted

Clear speed build with +1 gem "Tabula Rasa" chest (only for theoretical max damage tooltip output with setup)
Spoiler

Clear speed without RF (when mods are against you)
Spoiler

PvP or boss without adds and concentrated effect without RF (when mods are against you) :
Spoiler

PvP build with +1 chest (only for theoretical max damage tooltip output with setup)
Spoiler

PvP variant with iron will and +1 chest (let's have some fun) with Atziri's promise
Spoiler

6L :
Flameblast 21/20
Empower 4
Spell echo 20/20
Iron will 20/20
Fire penetration 20/20
Concentrated effect 20/20

chest corrupted +1 gem

Defense :
No potion :

With Rumi's concoction :
Spoiler

Misc :
No potion :

My current tree :

The final tree :

The final tree if i get an amulet with additional curse (just removing 4 points from curse to get Static blow wheel :

my items :
Spoiler

Items spots, what stats i have to look for :
Spoiler

tip 1 : You need enough dexterity to run the optional gems (Enhance/Arctic Armour), if you don't run them, you do not need to invest dexterity except if you get some hybrid item with some evasion (that will be lost ==> unwavering stance).
tip 2 : You need at least 1800 mana to be able to sustain your spells and get your hand on herald of thunder.

* main hand :
* Rare wand/scepter (elemental damage, spell damage, fire damage, leech, cast speed, mana are the way to go)
* Doryani's catalyst : (which is only not very good on cast speed mostly)

* Shield :
* Rise of the phoenix :

* head :
* Scold's bridle for the rich people :

* Rare helmet (life/resist/armour/ES/mana) :
, very defensive wise but at the price of the damage, the perma self-ignition and the use of Vaal molten shell.

* chest :
* Cloak of flame :

* gloves :
* Rare gloves : (life/resist/armour/ES/mana/dexterity/strength)
==> over the top for the rich people, elemental weakness 10 to 12 corruption is epicly strong.

* boots :
* Rare boots : (life/resist/movement speed/dexterity/strength/armour/ES/mana)

* amulets :
* Rare amulet : (life/resist/spell damage/cast speed/fire damage/ dexterity/strength/armour/ES/mana)
==> over the top for the rich people, +1 additional curse corruption allow you to get back 4 nodes.

* rings :
* Mokou's embrace :
==> priority to "chance to ignite" and cold resist.

* belt : (it's a big improvement to get 1% leech through weapon or belt)
* Rare belt (life, resist, strength, dexterity, movement speed, flasks duration, mana are the way to go)

* Doryani's invitation (fire form): (which is only missing life sadly)

* Flasks : Kinda the same setup than i have. If you don't have rumi's concoction, just run a granite flask. If you don't have Atziri's promise you can run a quicksilver flask or another life flask.

gems setup :
Spoiler

* Weapon 1h/shield (3L ==> BBR) : Herald of Thunder + Flammability + Reduced mana

* Weapon 1h/shield (3L BBR ) : Ligtning warp + faster casting + reduced duration

* Helmet/Boots/Gloves (4L) :
- with Scold's bridle (RRGB or RRRB or RRBB) : Vaal Molten Shell, Increased duration, Enhance, Righteous fire
Enhance can be replaced by a blue one (Increased area of effect/Concentrated effect) or a red one (Iron will, Increased burning damage, Life leech, Empower)
- with a rare helmet (RGGB or RRGB or RRBB) : Righteous fire, Increased area of effect, Concentrated effect, Increased burning damage, Enhance, Empower
"
I tested both empower and enhance for RF. When it's true that empower will provide more damage to VMS with 2 more levels, the overall damage of flameblast is less interesting. The overall increased spell damage given by enhance and inner force is stronger than 1% more damage for RF buff.

RF 20/20 + enhance 3 + inner force (+ athletism) provides ==> 34% increased spell damage ( 271.26 = 34%) 74% more damage (591.26 = 74%)

RF 20/20 + empower 3 + inner force (+ athletism) provides ==> 18% increased spell damage ( 151.26 = 18.9%) 76% more damage (611.26 = 76.86%)

But you're free to use both for better spell damage or none for better RF self-damage effectiveness.

* Boots/Gloves (4L)
- RRRB : Vitality, Reduced mana, Purity of Fire, Clarity
- RRRR : Cast when damage taken lvl 7, enduring cry level 9, increased duration (maxxed), immortal call level 8 (!!in this order!!)

* Chest (up to 6L)
- BBBBRR :
_Flameblast
_Spell echo
_Fire penetration
_Elemental proliferation / faster casting if 5L+ /Concentrated effect if 4L)
_Increased area of effect / Concentrated effect
_Empower 4 / Iron will / Empower 3 (in this order ==> it means that iron will is by far stronger than empower 3 and a bit weaker than empower 4 with that amount of strength. Empower shines especially if you're able to get a +1 gem chest corruption)

or
-BBBRRR (less efficient in clear speed but stronger against boss)
_Flameblast
_Spell echo
_Fire penetration
_Elemental proliferation / faster casting if 5L+ /Concentrated effect if 4L
_Iron will if 300+ strength (/increased burning damage if 299- strength)
_Empower 4 / Empower 3 / Increased buring damage (in this order)

Alternative skill (extremely strong against Atziri, Vaal Oversoul ==> 86747,8 tooltip with Cloak of flame and 103996,3 with corrupted +1 gem tabula rasa):
- BBBBRR :
_Flame surge
_Spell echo
_Fire penetration
_faster casting if 5L+ /Concentrated effect if 4L
_Increased area of effect / Concentrated effect
_Empower 4 / Empower 3 / Iron will / (in this order)

Which high content can do that build :
Spoiler

Atziri : Farmed 50+ times deathless, super easy and kinda very safe except desync failure.

Of course for atziri there could be a bit of tweaking but nothing problematic. I prefer to have an optimisation for maps in general

Uber atziri : never got more than 2 pieces after my 50+ runs.... i would say most probably doable

78 maps : no issues except if bad mods combination
Which mods have to be ignored :
- no regen (and that's all)

Which mods are kinda difficult/need adjustments :
- blood magic : cannot run Arctic Armour (if you use a variation of the build), cannot run auras, cannot run RF ==> the game will be slower but kinda safe even for elemental reflect
- minus max res : that mod is bad, just play it safe, no RF, be extremely cautious about elemental reflect on packs
- elemental weakness : is doable even more if you're overcapped
- -50% regen : that mod is kinda bad too, you cannot run RF and you just have to play safer
- 75% fire resist : With the curses nearly no impact.
- Immunity to curse : it impacts your clear speed.
- Vulnerability : you can run everything, you will have just to speed up between packs because you will degeneration a bit.

Grandmaster map : Left area cleared deathless, blocked in right area by the OP TS mirrored gear character. The main issue remains that non crit builds are unable to refill enough their potions between 2 confrontations so in that map it hurts...

PvP viabiliy :
Spoiler
Doing exclusively dailies, only played on the first month of this feature, some ranks

EU Standard-Hardcore 1v1 Open : rank 49 (2015/08/06) ==> Tamareii
EU Standard-Hardcore 3v3 Open : rank 32 (2015/08/06) ==> Tamareii
EU-STD CTF Open (Season 1) : rank 1 ==> Tamareii

Videos :
Quick atziri run (2 mins presentation first & 6mins the run) : http://youtu.be/WYfvTziGhUk

Last edited by mout on Jun 20, 2015, 1:50:26 PM
Cheap RF Flameblast build for 1 month league (SC/HC)

Here a quick look with the damage output only 6S5L Cloak of flame with similar ok gear totally gettable in a short league for cheap investment (except belt probably & corruption on gloves but corruption apart gloves are ok-ish for this build):

Stuff (do not take into account gems in helmet & weapon) :
"

Offense (with RF and Elemental proliferation ==> Concentrated effect is not used here) :

Flameblast Mana cost : 20 per cast (cast twice)

Defense :

Arctic Armour level 12 is 100% sustainable with the mana regen (182.3/s)
Mana free : 74 /1461 (rest is reserved) .
Flameblast never deplete the mana unreserved nor any other spell

Tree with 90 points + reward quest 40 max life
Spoiler
Poebuilder :
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUATwSnVVugQ8ho8nwOogDwH8BmBLPvfJ_fPAWCm5o71abtPJBVJy_sOBo4cYXAGnrmY_1G1_MRsUK4kzLRRUeboY9Gpwh85RhqeC9YByj66-6YrVNSRZ2a4Pnogse3PkGH2L3-Cjwtxq7E9gn21HwGDiftz36tjdlhGS6CB_JB0iFXDZ7NXz_BBFW1xFj2SO8OFCApLvGsn8unMFXGOlismPfXXyp0VZZ0fEtTpQxfHKdodNpi

Breakdown of the tree :
http://pathofpoe.com/passive-breakdown/AAAAAgUATwSnVVugQ8ho8nwOogDwH8BmBLPvfJ_fPAWCm5o71abtPJBVJy_sOBo4cYXAGnrmY_1G1_MRsUK4kzLRRUeboY9Gpwh85RhqeC9YByj66-6YrVNSRZ2a4Pnogse3PkGH2L3-Cjwtxq7E9gn21HwGDiftz36tjdlhGS6CB_JB0iFXDZ7NXz_BBFW1xFj2SO8OFCApLvGsn8unMFXGOlismPfXXyp0VZZ0fEtTpQxfHKdodNpi/

Important data :
No need of vitality (can be swapped for a Purity of Elements for example) at this moment. Purity of fire must be 20 though if you don't run vitality.
Though, no EB at this point, you have to avoid at the maximum high pieces of ES and avoid in general to group up with discipline users (yeah... i know it's kinda problematic). Arctic armour will be on lower level (here you can run a level 10 without issues.
Last point you don't have access to super high intelligence. So you have 2 choices for weapon. Find a low level wand with decent rolls or stay on scepter!

Tree change for level 98 :

Gems setup :

3L (weapon/shield) :
- BBR : Herald of thunder /Reduced mana / Righteous fire
- BBR : Lightning warp / Faster casting / reduced duration

4L (helmet/gloves/boots):
- BBBB : Ball lightning (any level) / curse on hit / flammability / Elemental weakness
- RRRB : Vitality / Purity of fire / Clarity / Reduced mana
- RRRR : CwDT 7 / Enduring Cry 9 / Increased duration maxxed / Immortal call 8 (in this order!)

5L6S (chest) BBBRR-G
- Flameblast (here 19/20 for accessible damage output) / Spell echo (17/0 here for accessible cast speed) / Elemental proliferation (swappable with Concentrated effect for boss) / Fire penetration / Iron will // Arctic armour (l12)

Cursing setup :
Curse on hit setup apply Elemental Equilibrium & curses at once (through lightning). The proc of herald of thunder will help in the process to put back Elemental Equilibrium after Flameblast use but you can just cast another ball lightning to get the same effect.
Last edited by mout on Jun 19, 2015, 2:45:58 AM
Reserved
Reserved
new data about the build. new gif to show effect of the combination of uniques.
Nice write-up with all the bells and giffles! Cool to see a familiar build taken to those standart limits. :]

I don't think inner force buffs potion effects tho. You may want to look into that.

I played a similar build to lvl 92 in Beyond. Ridiculously good, had no troubles with any of the map bosses. I didn't go for double curse, and instead doubled down on iron will with doon cuebiyari (800+ total str iirc). 6.5k life, played with 7 endurance charges on, no immortal call.

IGN: Dweeblebum
Last edited by dweeblebum on Jun 17, 2015, 5:56:45 PM
Thanks for your reply, you're totally right about flasks i'm fixing this (they are not known as buff).

Your build was probably very endurant and probably quite strong for a HC league with this setup!
Last edited by mout on Jun 17, 2015, 6:04:48 PM
Amazing build!

One of the fastest-clearing ever. And not that much expensive.
Interesting ideas here, but after beta this build will be a lot, lot worse.

- Ele Prolif radius reduced by 3 times
- no more free ignite from quality Flameblast (changed to % inc damage), actually need to invest in it now
- you can't spend 1 point into EB and get a shitton of free mana any more, actually need to invest now
- shocking reworked, now most likely the puny damage from HoT alone won't be enough to shock
- AA is % reserved now
- no cheesy CWDT-EC-IC setup (although just IC is still functional if you can get end charges by other means such as Warlord)
- Inner Force removed entirely
- RM removed

I probably missed some points but this is the general idea
Increasing Field of View in PoE: /1236921
Last edited by Shajirr on Jun 19, 2015, 1:12:26 PM
"
Interesting ideas here, but after beta this build will be a lot, lot worse.

- Ele Prolif radius reduced by 3 times
- no more free ignite from quality Flameblast (changed to % inc damage), actually need to invest in it now
- you can't spend 1 point into EB and get a shitton of free mana any more, actually need to invest now
- shocking reworked, now most likely the puny damage from HoT alone won't be enough to shock
- AA is % reserved now
- no cheesy CWDT-EC-IC setup (although just IC is still functional if you can get end charges by other means such as Warlord)
- Inner Force removed entirely
- RM removed

I probably missed some points but this is the general idea

you're totally right, that's why i posted that in the first spoiler :
"
First of all, i have played this build since 1.1 and played a lot of characters since the open beta.
I consider myself as an experienced theorycrafter & normally i never post a build because i dislike the market impact it has, potential nerf which can occur and to see many copies of the same build during parties.
But the incoming change in 2.0 forced me to post this build as a reminder & will provide you, i hope, nice data.

- When EB is not really free mana for my current build (my ES on item is just super low and doesn't worth to spend 6 points to get EB), it was mostly used to get 0 ES in the calculation of RF (and like 300+ max mana as a side effect).

- Ele prolif need to be adressed correctly by GGG, in the current beta state it's not rewarding. If you want to get my opinion, the only nerf they need to do in it was to get the gem as it is in live version + 50% reduced duration to force us to get duration nodes + not applied on crit effect in order to be used by non crit build mostly (the one that invest in elemental status effect).

- They reworked the cast speed of flameblast (0.3 to 0.2) and removed the ability to use spell echo in the process (so in short it's a tiny nerf about cast speed but a little buff on each stage). But sadly reworked the quality also when it's obvious that flameblast is a non spammable spell (i think it's a bad move) they force us to take chance to ignite gem as a replacement (of spell echo). The new quality is just a little buff for crit build.

- Inner force has been a problem mostly with low life build abusing of auras and its removal is due to that. Inner force was quite a trade off for Arctic Armour & Righteous fire (opportunity cost). Once again they could have tweaked the data to lock it for low life build.

In each of these changes, in my opinion, they took the shortcut of easiness. Let me be clear, when fire proliferation builds are very strong solo, ignite is by far the weakest status aliment in a 6 men party.

The hardest way was to rework the ignition process with some scaling with the amount of people in the party (less strong in solo, stronger in party) and probably to reward the use of some channeling on Flameblast (weaker spell if you don't channel stronger spell if you do, even more with the augmentation of risk with current mob damage in beta).
Flameblast was really strong as a starter spell in league, flameblast was abused as a dabbing spell but flameblast was on par with Arc (and Vaal storm call) & Ice nova (+ arctic breath) build with the same amount of currencies.

For the concern about HoT, it was a wise move, too many build were running one or two Herald because the impact of them was great.
For reduced mana gem, i understand their concern about aura stacking but the idea to put back enlighten on its feet is quite unreasonable by taking (partially or totally depending of the gem level) the old spot of RM (the flipping in the market is real).

Clarification : i'm not angry, i'm just deep thinking (i'm working as an analyst... maybe it's some work sickness :D).
Last edited by mout on Jun 20, 2015, 7:05:37 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info