[outdated] Caustic Arrow Solo Map MFer (20/300+)

Hi Serlet or hank

Has anyone killed the 4 guardians with this build. 2 i know that people killed them. But the minotaur i dont know a guy who killed him with this build.
And shaper i think isnt doable in missing the dmg to kill him fast enought.

hi
need a advice

crafted this amulett from of excavation to this state

what should can i do next ?

"
what should can i do next?

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Crafting
"
Hi Serlet or hank

Has anyone killed the 4 guardians with this build. 2 i know that people killed them. But the minotaur i dont know a guy who killed him with this build.

I was able to get Hydra, Phoenix and Minotaur down with it, didn't try Chimera. But I don't recommend it. Takes a very long time, and you have to play it almost perfect.

I'm not a crafter, but I'd personally multimod it then craft other things I want.
Jul 27, 2011 - Sept 30, 2018.
"
Hi Serlet or hank

I don't have a CA toon this league.

As Serleth notes though, with patience and good technique it's possible to kill Guardians with CA; possibly Shaper can be done with CA but that fight gets harder and harder the longer it goes on.

There's a youtube video where Mathil tries to kill Shaper with a wander build that relies heavily on poison. Chimera was a real pain for him because the lack of constant adds means you cannot refresh flasks, and then when the add phases start, the adds have high chaos resist making them very hard to kill. Shaper adds are also chaos resistant and Mathil had huge trouble with Shaper adds, not to mention low DPS. CA would likely fare about the same as Mathil's wander in those encounters.

That said, to kill Guardians/Shaper, other builds do a much better job so rolling a separate toon to kill them makes sense.
Last edited by hankinsohl on Oct 27, 2016, 9:29:36 PM
Guys plz explain why do we need aspeed and 7 frenzy charges if they do not increase any dmg of the cloud? ty in advance
Each frenzy charge gives the following:

4% increased Attack Speed per Frenzy Charge
4% increased Cast Speed per Frenzy Charge
4% more Damage per Frenzy Charge

If the first two doesn't matter (actually the first one does matter, being able to put clouds up faster and also use the clouds defensively) the third and last one increases the cloud damage. That translates into 4*7=28% more cloud damage with seven frenzy charges up.
Last edited by mobutu on Oct 28, 2016, 4:37:38 AM
Hello folks. Big thanks to all the contributors to this magnificent guide - no wonder this build is my favorite, even if I don't play the game that much recently.

That aside, I've been getting into HC lately and wondered about how to make the character as tanky as possible. I don't plan on using Andvarius rings, so no MF, but I would rather compensate tht lack of MF with increased defences (somehow).

First of all, what defence type should I choose for the long run? I don't know whether regular Eva + Acro can be totally reliable, and spending 4 extra points for Phase Acro seems mandatory (if you pick Acro that is) for certain maps and bosses, which delays some of the DPS / life nodes you don't really wanna miss on.

Is IR viable and what utilities and items would you need for a smoother phys damage intake? I thought about running Blasphemy with Enfeeble with IR, it seems to fit nicely and in general some curse auras seem very fitting to the armor-based style gameplay.

Or, can you actually make IR + Acro (+ Phase Acro) work in this build? I presume it would require Enlighten for using lots of costly auras to negate the armor penalty. On paper, it seems like a very interesting setup, as it requires a lot of gear tweaking and fine-tuning, but in the end you may considerably increase your chance of survival and getting rid from entropy system to pure percentages (not that I dislike entropy, I actually quite like it, but again, armor seems more reliable).

And lastly, is there any other hybrid defence option left for us to consider? ES hybrid seems costly and I know nothing about ES in general, so I can't really build theories using this defence type.

Oh, and another thing about utilities. I already mentioned defencive curse-auras like Enfeeble, is there anything else that I missed and can be used to provide survivability? CWDT + IС is alright I guess.

I apologize in advance if those questions were already answered in this thread.
"
klaymored wrote:
Hello folks. Big thanks to all the contributors to this magnificent guide - no wonder this build is my favorite, even if I don't play the game that much recently.

<3

"
First of all, what defence type should I choose for the long run? I don't know whether regular Eva + Acro can be totally reliable, and spending 4 extra points for Phase Acro seems mandatory (if you pick Acro that is) for certain maps and bosses, which delays some of the DPS / life nodes you don't really wanna miss on.

The general consensus for HC builds is that scaling physical mitigation is the way to go. Which means rather than avoiding damage (evasion), you can sustain through it (armour).

So to answer "Is IR viable" - absolutely. But if you're going to drop MF and run CA, the most common way to build it is around the Hidden Potential jewel, which scales damage based off how many magic items you have equipped.

For that purpose, you are actually better off dropping the Drillneck / Pierce combination so you can run a magic quiver with life and a resistance. The damage potential on a slot-for-slot comparison is worse, but given you will compensate for it with magic gear in other slots, makes it worthwhile.

That said, you're more than likely going to want to run Lightning Coil and combine that with IR for the most mitigation. Not only will you sustain through damage on the basis of the armour itself, but the phys -> lit conversion will allow your resistances to take a chunk of the damage as well.

It'll be tricky to work with pure magic gear, but it is doable, particularly if you opt to pick up Cloth & Chain and the Scion 18% lit res node.

"
Or, can you actually make IR + Acro (+ Phase Acro) work in this build?

No. Because Acrobatics halves your armour, this is not a viable option.

"
Oh, and another thing about utilities. I already mentioned defencive curse-auras like Enfeeble, is there anything else that I missed and can be used to provide survivability? CWDT + IС is alright I guess.

Your flask choices here will be the big difference. Grace (converted to armour through IR) will be a significant portion of your defense.

Another option you might consider is to grab an amulet and alt/augment it (for Hidden Potential benefit) until you get a high life and resistance roll, then Vaal it. And repeat. Or see what's available on trade for a +1 curse option.

Then you can run Grace - Blasphemy - Enfeeble - Enlighten and instead of having Vulnerability with your CoH setup, you can use CoH- Temp Chains.

In short, for the best defensive possibility you're looking at this setup:

* Magic items for Helmet, Gloves, Boots, Belt, Rings, Amulet and Quiver slot with as much resistance as possible. To this end, get Prismatic rings.
* Craft or buy a +1 curse amulet so that:
* You can run Enfeeble/TC (one on Blasphemy, one on CoH Frenzy)
* Lightning Coil
* IR
* Invest in more life on the tree, and resistances to compensate for Coil where necessary either through nodes like Cloth & Chain, or life/res combos on your jewel slots instead of focusing on damage.
* Instead of Quicksilver flasks, run a combo of something like Stibnite (100% increased Evasion, which is converted to armour through IR, and scales directly with Grace) and Basalt (phys dmg reduction), or Stibnite / Jade (the flat 3000 eva from the Jade will scale with the Stibnite bonus).

Lastly, you could always go CI, which goes beyond the scope of this thread as that requires an entirely different Ascendancy / Tree, but you'll be able to find that option available with a quick Google search I'm sure.
Jul 27, 2011 - Sept 30, 2018.
Last edited by Serleth on Oct 29, 2016, 6:16:37 PM
Hey, Serleth, thanks for the quick answer.

I really like the idea about Hidden Potential jewel, as I never tried anything like this previously.

"
For that purpose, you are actually better off dropping the Drillneck / Pierce combination so you can run a magic quiver with life and a resistance.

Does that mean we shouldn't stack pierce at all? (skill tree/skill gem)

I also can't see any reasonably convenient additional life nodes aside from Thick Skin and Profane Chemistry, and Profane Chemistry doesn't give that much life percentage. I might go for Thick Skin though.

"
It'll be tricky to work with pure magic gear, but it is doable, particularly if you opt to pick up Cloth & Chain and the Scion 18% lit res node.

Actually, I just remembered there are new base boots with implicit resistances on them, so I think it's even easier than before! But yes, I will definately stay near those nodes to compensate for any lack of resistances.

"
* Instead of Quicksilver flasks, run a combo of something like Stibnite (100% increased Evasion, which is converted to armour through IR, and scales directly with Grace) and Basalt (phys dmg reduction), or Stibnite / Jade (the flat 3000 eva from the Jade will scale with the Stibnite bonus).

Since we're dropping Quicksilver Flasks, should we aim for a movespeed prefix on our boots instead of life prefix? I think movespeed could be more important in this particular build.

The rest of the message was clear enough and inspiring to actually try this out. Thanks again!
Last edited by klaymored on Oct 29, 2016, 7:36:34 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info