State of the Beta - Post #3

What do you mean by low latency? Is 50-90 ms low latency?

Will you expand/change already existing areas of Act1, Act2, Act3?
Sorry for my English, it's not my native language.
Last edited by Ekalindorskii on May 18, 2015, 12:53:30 AM
"
Uvne wrote:
"
dankmemes420 wrote:
...I don't know — that's how things are done around here" Does it sound familiar?...

This is just an incredibly roundabout, snarky way of accusing me of an appeal to tradition. Which, if you actually read the post rather than the last sentence, is clear isn't what I'm saying. Free gem XP is a bad idea, not because it's never been done like that before, but because it fails to punish bad planning and reward good planning. Switching out gems should come at some cost, even during the early phases of character growth, just like switching out passive points does. Nothing in your post makes any sort of argument as to why this assumption about skill opportunity cost is wrong.

Because punishing bad planning is an asshole thing to do. It raises the barrier to entry and just generally makes the game less agreeable to new players. You can design a game that's only meant for the hardcore dickstabbers, and they'll love it, sure, but it's simple logic that tells you the less you fuck people over long after they can reasonably do something about it then the better you'll do.

Or would you seriously contend that nobody should play this game until they've read 50 build threads, memorized the wiki, and maybe watched a few speedrunner streams?
Last edited by TimeDilation on May 18, 2015, 12:57:02 AM
Thanks for the update! I'm looking forward to test the gem vendors, lockstep, and builds that would benefit from lockstep like flicker strike, cyclone, and the new ice crash.
None of the promised mana changes and no mention of positive defensive changes for casters...fantastic.
Creator of the Praxis ring.
Want to stop power creep? Gut crit chance and crit multi.
"
Uvne wrote:
I don't think the gems should come with experience. I had always assumed that the XP system for gems was, in part, to generate opportunity cost for planning in the same way that other ARPGs might, but adjusting for the fact that PoE's skills are itemized rather than something you dump points into on your character sheet. Right now, as long as you're getting XP, you're "putting points" into the abilities you're using, and if you want to make a significant switch, you may, but you begin from nothing in much the same way as in any other RPG.

Under this new system, anyone with a higher level character or friend in the same league will have immediate access to a gem as if they had been leveling it all along, because from the way it's phrased here, it uses the level of the purchaser. It's only a minor bit of cheese, since it only gets you to around level 14, which doesn't take long on a character powerleveling gems in endgame maps anyway. But it's still something I think the game would be better off without if possible. We've been starting our multistrikes and echoes from level 1 while in the 50s for a long time now, and it hasn't been a problem.

Aren't everyone already leveling 6gems on their weapon swap? this is a QoL I'm greatly welcoming.
Thanks for the info, Qarl.

Gem vendors are a nice addition, especially for those who don't trade much. I always hated to choose between several good gem-rewards (and the next time having to choose between crap and poop ;))

Lockstep mode sounds interesting, although I don't experience much desync anyways, just adjusted my playstyle. But I could finally try cyclone these days or leapslamming through doors for fun :)
Dynamit,
Architekturkritik, die man tatsächlich sieht!

Farin Urlaub
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2nz5q9
"
Uvne wrote:
"
dankmemes420 wrote:
...I don't know — that's how things are done around here" Does it sound familiar?...

This is just an incredibly roundabout, snarky way of accusing me of an appeal to tradition. Which, if you actually read the post rather than the last sentence, is clear isn't what I'm saying. Free gem XP is a bad idea, not because it's never been done like that before, but because it fails to punish bad planning and reward good planning. Switching out gems should come at some cost, even during the early phases of character growth, just like switching out passive points does. Nothing in your post makes any sort of argument as to why this assumption about skill opportunity cost is wrong.

I imagine it being a very good thing. Leveling up a new gem to 8 million XP takes merely 15-20 minutes in 70-72 maps. The only thing that changes is that you don't need to click that gem level up button EVERY FLIPPIN TIME after you killed one mob and for me that sounds like a fantastic change...
### r4wb1rd ###
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/r4wb1rd
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/r4wb1rdGaming/
Babel PoE: https://github.com/rowolff/babel-poe/releases
Last edited by r4wb1rd on May 18, 2015, 1:11:28 AM
sweet
Your selling gems with EXP at the vendor for wisdom scrolls?
You are basically killing off gem traders. Not happy.
Last edited by RootCookie on May 18, 2015, 1:12:40 AM
I see a lot of people complaining that the new sync mode is only for low latency. The fact of the matter is the current system is only in use and was only ever picked because of high latency players. GGG is from NZ and they didn't put a server there.

If your a high latency player there is no fix. You have high latency. Lower latency is the fix. This will help all the people who have been running under 100ms since forever and have great internet and have been being punished with a bad sync method.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info