[3.2] Scionic Flametank "16k ES ed." (ES-CI-ZO-GR, SR-CWC-FS, extensive guide)

@Napoleon11

While my build picks up a lot of defenses compared to just about any normal build, it picks less ES nodes than Dy'Ness suggested build does so regardless of gear it is per definition less survivable in the "AFK, taking damage" sense. I trade the lower ES for dual cursing and more damage via jewels.

But not much less survivable. While I get less ES and hence ES regen, I also pick up endurance charges during trash killing through warlord's mark, which also strengthens the life leech aspect - and with this build it is the random mobs that might kill you, not bosses. (Exception: Bosses that freeze; hence the use of anti-freeze gear when facing such one).

Now, Dy'Ness's main character is a LOT more tanky than my main character, but that has a lot more to do with Dy'Ness exceptional quality ES gear and ownership of a Shavronne's Revelation ring than with the differences in skill tree build.

Both builds feature exceptional survivability compared to other builds, including most tanking builds, so it is more a question of preference; Would you sacrifice a bit of defense for damage or do you want to maximize defenses? Do you like the playstyle of sweeping enemy groups with a flamethrower by pointing in their general direction (and with the size of the killing field determined by how much projectile speed you can scrape up) or do you prefer the more pinpoint approach of raining down meteors wherever you point?

@EcchiRulez

That is good to hear. Tell us when you die - or not, as the case might well be. ;)
Scionic Flametank 3.2: The classic ES-CI-ZO-GR regeneration tank is back in business, stronger than ever before with 50-60% ES/s recovery during most fights due to creative use of regeneration, leech, and recovery mechanics
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1271604
Is there a low-life version of this build?
"
Defaceo wrote:
Is there a low-life version of this build?

Not that I know of.

Feel free to create one by not taking CI, picking up Pain Attunement, and using Shavronne's Wrappings.

Given that you lose out on 15% MORE maxES that way (as well as two 8% maxES nodes), and given that Shavronne's have quite low ES for body armour, it seems unlikely that this is a good idea. The build spends so few points on damage, that maintaining CI and removing a few points spent on ES in favour of more damage is likely to be able to match damage of lowlife while having greater ES.

BUT... that's all theorycraft and off the top of my head, not something I've attempted. Prove me wrong. :)
Scionic Flametank 3.2: The classic ES-CI-ZO-GR regeneration tank is back in business, stronger than ever before with 50-60% ES/s recovery during most fights due to creative use of regeneration, leech, and recovery mechanics
Really like your build. I've been on a max block and high life kick lately and wanted to do something different. I'm using a Witch for reasons I may regret later...but the idea is mainly based on my play style and stashed gear so I think it was my best option. Plus I needed a break from Scions for a while, lol.

A few questions if you don't mind?

Have you tried tinkering with having some higher block chance? I was thinking Aegis Aurora or having a really high Armour/ES combo shield and stacking the effects of Increased Defenses from Shield that some block nodes grant?

However in order to do this on your base tree I'd have to sacrifice some ES. Not sure yet if this will be worth it...but a few passive respecs will make it easy to test. However...perhaps this would defeat the entire idea of your build by preventing damage needed to set off your many CWDT goodies. For a blocker like me it sure would be nice to play a build not centered around blocking...;)

Thanks again for the build and I'll let you know how it goes.
@SasoriOtoko

I haven't tinkered with having a higher block chance, but I did the relevant mathematics on it last autumn and found that - given the gear available to me - it would be a huge mistake.

The problem of course being that while +25%, +40%, or +50% to shield defense sounds great, it is an additive modifier with all other sources of increased ES from the shield, not a multiplicative one, and as soon as you've got a decent amount of base ES on your equipment the ES gain from such a node is much less than what a 5% maxES node would provide. It would also increase armour, of course.... but overall I found it much more valuable to focus on the ES regeneration aspect and having a large energy shield as buffer.

In addition, while picking up more block nodes sounded good in theory, the opportunity cost was too great if I only picked up a few, whereas if I picked up a lot it practically required me to also use non-high-ES uniques to get spell block as well, and pretty soon it was a completely different type of build with a MUCH lower maximum ES buffer for regeneration to work on, putting the question of whether investing that many points in regeneration was really good idea at the forefront... and I ended up concluding that if I started going that way there'd be little reason not to go the full way and drop the focus on regeneration, making it a completely different block build.

That being said, I didn't have an Aegis Aurora to influence my calculations at the time... but it is hard to see how it would greatly change the equation; Yes, you'd gain 2% (or 4% with legacy) of armour per block, but on the other hand, even if you had as much maximumES% as my build does currently (something that wouldn't be the case if you began picking up more block nodes), the Aegis Aurora chimes in at around 2K less maximum ES compared to a decent random ES shield with around 400ES - and that means a difference of 293 ES/s, so you'd better have a really high armour, high block%, or just block a lot of attacks per second.

On the other hand, there's a huge difference between "it is hard to see how..." and "it won't work", because a lot has to do with the feeling the player will have from playing with higher block% and a more flimsy energy shield and passive regeneration, and that's something that you'll only know by trying it out.

In the end, it comes down to this: I'm a mathematician by training and am leery of survival depending on not suffering an unlucky streak of failing to block, so unless a build I work with goes all-in on blocking to minimize that risk I prefer not to add anything to the blocking aspect unless it comes at a very, very, low price compared to what improving the main defensive aspect costs.

That said, if I did have an awesome high Armour/ES shield, body armour, and probably other slots as well, I'd love to try creating some sort of hybrid defense build where the primary focus was high-armour blocking but CI-ZO-regeneration performed the second line of defense.

Perhaps starting out aiming for something like this... At a first glimpse, it looks like the cheapest way of sacrificing ES and regeneration (a substantial amount!) to gain more armour% and high block%.
Last edited by Pi2rEpsilon on Feb 3, 2016, 11:38:03 AM
The next bunch of Ascendancy classes have been teased, and let's just say that unless the Scion's single Ascendancy class brings something completely awesome to the table or I've misunderstood what the "recovery" keyword covers, the optimal class for massive ES regeneration tanks will be Shadow-trickers:

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Trickster

60% increased life, energy shield, mana recovery if you've killed an enemy within 4s affected by your damage over time.

Consuming Dark => precondition applies to all kills.

The rest of the trickster passives aren't bad either, but that one really does take the pride of place.

Can't wait to see what on earth they've got in the single Ascendancy class for all Scions.
Thank you for the explanation...again I am looking forward to breaking my recent mold of max block all the things. I like the idea of very high ES and just facetanking everything.

Another question...and keep in mind that this is my first CI build...is there a reason why you skipped the Essence Surge cluster? It looks very tempting to me...but I'm just curious to know what led you to pick other choices instead.

My witch is lv 48 and blazing through Cruel...ES is 1200 and rising...looking forward to finally being able to wear my high end ES gear (like this little baby I found a few weeks ago):

Thanks again for the build...enjoying it a lot so far. ;)
Last edited by SasoriOtoko on Feb 8, 2016, 1:12:53 PM
"
SasoriOtoko wrote:

Another question...and keep in mind that this is my first CI build...is there a reason why you skipped the Essence Surge cluster? It looks very tempting to me...but I'm just curious to know what led you to pick other choices instead.

Essence Surge is completely worthless for this build.

You are probably confusing Energy Shield recharge, the native Energy Shield mechanic whereby Energy Shield recharges rapidly after not being hit for some time, with Energy Shield regeneration, which is the the mechanic whereby the constant Life regeneration is made to apply to Energy Shield by means of Zealot's Oath, which is what this build relies on.

"

My witch is lv 48 and blazing through Cruel...ES is 1200 and rising...looking forward to finally being able to wear my high end ES gear (like this little baby I found a few weeks ago):

Thanks again for the build...enjoying it a lot so far. ;)

That's a very nice shield.
Last edited by Pi2rEpsilon on Feb 8, 2016, 8:05:14 PM
If you were going a build basically hybridizing yours and Dy'ness build (using dual curse and firestorm) and were doing "easier" maps (i.e. no scary mods from like t12+) would you go dual curse flammability/ele weakness and focus on basically all fire spells with like an arc/shock nova to shock? I feel like this would assist with some of the build's weakest features which is the single target damage aspect..
"
Pi2rEpsilon wrote:

You are probably confusing Energy Shield recharge, the native Energy Shield mechanic whereby Energy Shield recharges rapidly after not being hit for some time, with Energy Shield regeneration, which is the the mechanic whereby the constant Life regeneration is made to apply to Energy Shield by means of Zealot's Oath, which is what this build relies on.

Ah, I thought it would be ideal to have both, but I understand. That's why I wanted to try your build...it is definitely new territory for me.

"
Pi2rEpsilon wrote:

That's a very nice shield.

Thanks. I had forgotten it only has a lv 55 requirement...when I put it on last night my ES jumped up by over 1200. Making a few more equipment changes I got my total ES up to almost 3200. Using the Zhandethus' Cassock gave me even more regen so I was able to facetank Daresso with ease in Cruel. With Kaom I had to retreat once to regen full ES but it was almost a silly fight...even at this early stage I'm already seeing the strength of this build.

One more level and I can equip my trusty old 5L 500 ES armour that should give me a huge boost from the paltry 170 I am getting from the Cassock. Cruel Malachai is going to be fun, lol. Can't wait for Lv 70 and finally being able to use better gear and gems...;)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info