Claws?

"
Rawrbomb wrote:
The problem with fast attack speeds is that mana consumption doesn't scale inversely with speed. So a slow 100 damage attack costs 5 mana, and two fast 50 damage attacks cost 10 mana.

They need some kind of scaling of mana costs for 1h weapons vs 2h weapons at the very least. Because for now it's just way more efficient to use a big slow 2h weapon.

No, they just need to make fast one handed weapon a bit stronger (overall dps wise).

And also buff the dual wielding bonus or make shields weaker. Or make more dual wielding skills.
Build of the week #2 : http://tinyurl.com/ce75gf4
Last edited by zriL on Dec 1, 2011, 8:41:06 AM
My claw-experience with a claw-specced tanky level 29 shield-duelist is very good.

If you commit to the claw-area in the dexterity-area of the skill-tree and focus on attack-speed you can get very useful claw-speed. I have a 0.75 aps claw at the moment and with the skill-tree to back it up, it is about 2 attacks per second with my one-handed claw and given its good damage to boot it is almost overpowered at some points.

You might however have a point in most claws being pretty slow and clunky at the start of the game. Also it could be an issue having to specialize so heavily in the passive-tree to really benifit.

My biggest gripe with claws is that the life-gain is essentially only very strong for heavily tanky build marauders, for which the passives you need are not very available.
Furthermore it doesn't have any synergy with energy-shield at all, with the current implementation. I just cannot see the lifegain being that significant for an int/dex-character.

The other major issue with claws is the lack of AOE-abilities, but that should be easily remedied with more skill-gems.
I appear to be living in "Romance Standard Time". That has to be good! :)
Last edited by radiatoren on Dec 1, 2011, 8:56:16 PM
Just another poke at the claw life gain, it only applies to that weapon. The best way I see to make the claw bonus worthwhile is a life drain on hit, so it adds a little extra damage also.
You make me think that claws will be pretty strong with the "use life for skill" keystone. It will be possible to have free skills, perhaps.
"
zriL wrote:
You make me think that claws will be pretty strong with the "use life for skill" keystone. It will be possible to have free skills, perhaps.

but that will connect to the more dps=more mana used issue. lets say you attack with frenzy (with 5 charges), which will constantly draw mana(=life) and at the same time increases the rate when it draws mana(=life). not sure about that.

well, let's wait for the release
Last edited by ronda174 on Dec 2, 2011, 8:16:44 AM
Claws have life on hit, it doesn't matter whether you attack fast or not. Life on hit will substract to your mana (=life) cost, as if you had mana on hit.
I completely agree with the ideas that claws are rather weak at the moment.
Though we have to remember we currently don't have the int/dex class that is supposed to be using claws so were not starting in the proper section of the skill tree to have access to all the claw ability's easily.
Btw. I was scrambling to get enough int to carry the claw in the tanky duelist. I dont think the tankyness will be carried over after the patch. But new patch is a new opportunity for experimenting! There is bound to be a build for a "5 mana gain 10 life"-card in the deck to use a Magic: The Gathering-reference! :P

Edit: My improvement to claws would be giving it mana-leech instead of life-leech. Without knowing for sure, it sounds much more relevant.
I appear to be living in "Romance Standard Time". That has to be good! :)
Last edited by radiatoren on Dec 3, 2011, 1:28:41 AM
"
ronda174 wrote:
"
zriL wrote:

but that will connect to the more dps=more mana used issue. lets say you attack with frenzy (with 5 charges), which will constantly draw mana(=life) and at the same time increases the rate when it draws mana(=life). not sure about that.

well, let's wait for the release

The tradeoff becomes interesting because claws tend to have life steal, and there are a couple claw-specific passives in the tree that also grant more life steal. Theoretically, you may be able to use something like frenzy, and it will cost health, but every attack at the same time you will be stealing back a large chunk of it, being able to keep up a large output of skill use based on your life steal.
"
Kraide wrote:

The tradeoff becomes interesting because claws tend to have life steal, and there are a couple claw-specific passives in the tree that also grant more life steal. Theoretically, you may be able to use something like frenzy, and it will cost health, but every attack at the same time you will be stealing back a large chunk of it, being able to keep up a large output of skill use based on your life steal.

yep, that's basicly how it should work.

but i'm not sure if the life leech is strong enough (especially now when life of the mobs get lowered)or is reliable, let alone self sustaining as in keep staying alive against lowlevel or highlevel mobs without the usage of flasks.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info